Raleigh NC facility

  • Nick England
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 24, 2013
      Recent mention of Tyson's Corner mall reminded me of the facility at
      Cameron Village shopping center in Raleigh NC
      http://goodnightraleigh.com/2012/09/401-oberlin-demolished-with-it-a-ghost-of-the-cold-war/

      I remember seeing the antennae there, but don't know more. I dimly recall
      that a college buddy who went to work at NPIC said that was where he went
      to start his clearance process.

      Nick
      www.navy-radio.com

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 24, 2013
        Good find; now we know of at least three relo sites in the Old North State, the other two known being Chatham & Grove Park Inn; I have seen mention of relo sites as far south as Atlanta so there may be more in NC & SC yet to surface, probably more college campuses.

        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Nick England <navy.radio@...> wrote:

        > Recent mention of Tyson's Corner mall reminded me of the facility at
        > Cameron Village shopping center in Raleigh NC
        > http://goodnightraleigh.com/2012/09/401-oberlin-demolished-with-it-a-ghost-of-the-cold-war/
        >
        > I remember seeing the antennae there, but don't know more. I dimly recall
        > that a college buddy who went to work at NPIC said that was where he went
        > to start his clearance process.
        >
        > Nick
        > www.navy-radio.com

      • unrecognizedresponse
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 25, 2013
          I just finished reading the post on Grove Park at Conelrad Adjacent. On that note, I strongly suspect the Lakeside Inn of Mount Dora also had a similar agreement with some agency, really as a dispersal area. It would have escaped blast but not fallout. The area was outside the 2 PSI blast contour and for a time held Florida's only EAS PEP station not far away. Supposedly, private money (exclusively) went into constructing the elaborate Catacombs Sylvan Shores (10K sq. ft.) blast/fallout hardened underground site. It was to have been only for private families. I bet some federal money went there, given that the owners of the hotel contributed to the project. In the novel Alas Babylon, Frank needed a book idea in 1958 (while living in nearby Tangerine), heard about the project, and the book was published the following spring. The Catacombs today: extant, in an undisclosed location not recorded (legally, I don't know how) in any property tax records.

          There were/are two unique facilities in close proximity that give that general area more interest: the PEP near Lake Louisa State Park and the L-Carrier near the FL Turnpike Turkey Lake Svc. Plaza (built under a mound due to water table). They've never really said if PEP's can be used as entry points into other federal networks (FNARS, SHARES, FEMA FAOC/FOC), but some of the sites would/would have made attractive "last resort" redoubts. Outside blast zones, fallout protection, comms, rural location, austere living quarters, space to land a helo or park many vehicles. In the case of the Turkey Lake site, one can literally walk up to the entrance from a residential sidewalk, but the area was far less developed in 1970.