Re: Naval Radio Station Haiku,Hawaii(UPDATE)

  • ajbtelecom
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 23, 2013
      Hi, ozob99, thanks for the update. I looked through that smugmug photo gallery a few years back and scraped some of the pics, and have a warning for anyone who hasn't seen it: Keep your barf bag handy. The level of vandalism, looting and outright destruction of the ELF station equipment is nothing less than disgusting.

      About ten years ago, I scraped and archived the original Haiku Stairs web site, now long gone. If I ever find it [I have looked, honest], maybe it can be made available to the list, somehow.

      Jim Bennett
      The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you.

      > Another update- the latest URL on the station & related topics is:
      >
      > http://www.haikuvalley.com
      >
      > A video on firing up the last Alexanderson alternator is here:
      >
      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S6gXmElHoI&playnext=1&list=PL5E9D9F114D7568D7

    • Nick England
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 23, 2013
        Try this one.
        http://haikustairs.org/
        Looks like it has the old friendsofhaikustairs content

        Nick
        www.navy-radio.com

        On Apr 23, 2013, at 7:36 AM, "ajbtelecom" <ajbtelecom@...> wrote:

        > About ten years ago, I scraped and archived the original Haiku Stairs web site, now long gone. If I ever find it [I have looked, honest], maybe it can be made available to the list, somehow.
        >
        > Jim Bennett

      • ajbtelecom
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 23, 2013
          That's it! Thanks, Nick!

          Jim Bennett
          Speaking from a secure undisclosed location.

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 23, 2013
            Your dilemma serves as a reminder to archive website content of particular interest since they can be transitory, ephemeral even.

            My first recollections of military radio was as a kid living on base at NAS Kaneohe Bay and visiting the Haiku station; a schoolmate was the son of Chief Wells there; those antennas & feedline left quite an impression; I got close to the transmitter blockhouse but not inside.The other comms recollection at that time was the ham station at NAS Kaneohe, talking to my dad at Johnston Island on a phone patch;the only gear I remember was that big BC-610 & glowing tubes; the call was KH6 something, including RE since I do recall "roger easy" as one of those phrases that stick in your mind.

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 24, 2013
              I'm not sure if it was ever mentioned in the Haiku threads that the Lualualei Naval Transmitting Station was a back up for Haiku from 1943-1958; after Haiku was disestablished, Lualualei became the primary VLF transmitter(500KW tube type, mfr unknown to me so far); in 1964 it was replaced with a Continental 500KW unit; in 1972 two new 1500' antenna towers were erected; in 2012 the transmitter was renovated(see website below)

              Here is a 1953 Engineering Report on Lueluelei:

              http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/045451.pdf

              Some items of interest within the report are:there were at least 50 transmitters at this site: VHF links was used for keying from the Wahiawa Receiving Station(which also keyed Haiku), and Pearl Harbor; a microwave link replaced the VHF links later.

              The renovation article is here:

              http://www.hookelenews.com/navys-third-largest-vlf-transmitter-located-at-lualualei/

              More on this station and other LF/VLF stations at:

              http://navy-radio.com/xmtr-vlf.htm

              > Another update- the latest URL on the station & related topics is:
              >
              > http://www.haikuvalley.com
              >
              > A video on firing up the last Alexanderson alternator is here:
              >
              > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S6gXmElHoI&playnext=1&list=PL5E9D9F114D7568D7
              >

              > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "ozob99" <ozob99@> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, ozob99@ wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I've found an excellent history & photo archive of this unique
              > > > facilty
              > > > near present day MCAS Kaneohe Bay.Built in 1943 & active until
              > > > 1958,with LF transmission to the surface fleet & subs.RF was
              > > > originally 200KW Alexanderson Alternator to 1450' feed line to
              > > 7400'
              > > > (unsupported)antenna span anchored to mountain tops!

            • Nick England
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 24, 2013
                Thanks! I hadn't see that 1953 report or the one on renovation.
                The VLF transmitter (until the AN/FRT-64 installation in 1964) was Navy
                type TAW. I'll try to dig up more info.
                There are some good photos of it at http://lualualei1959.com/lualualei.html

                See page 11/16 of this report for some info about Hawaii comms changes post
                Dec 7, 1941

                http://ibiblio.org/pha/congress/Hewitt%20Exhibits/Hewitt%20Exhibits%2074.pdf

                Cheers,
                Nick - www.navy-radio.com

                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 25, 2013
                  I missed the TAW designation on your website; I did find that the Navy bought two in 1930; anyone know where the other was?

                  Snippet from: http://earlyradiohistory.us/1963hw35.htm

                  "While fleet radio equipment was being modernized, a similar program was carried out at the shore radio stations. Models TAB-3, TAD-2, TAF-2, TAJ-1, TAL, TAQ, TAQ-1, TAS, and TAT were installed as required in these stations. In fiscal year 1930, 9 TAB-4, 2 TAW, 10 TAY, and 13 XJ-2 were purchased specifically for shore stations."

                  If one assumes the 3rd letter is the mfg'r, it could be Westinghouse or Western Electric, but many 3rd letters of the day don't match a vendor alphabetically so it may be arbitrary.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 25, 2013
                    Nope only the first letter meant anything in the pre-1944 USN nomenclature. TAW was just the next design after TAV.

                    The other TAW may have been at NSS Annapolis but I really need to do some checking. I know I have run across it but the little grey cells aren't cooperating right now.
                    Cheers
                    Nick
                    (phone email acct)

                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 25, 2013
                      Looks like NSS's first tube types were TBC & TBJ:

                      "On August 6, 1918, "High Powered Radio (T) Station, Annapolis," was commissioned using the two 350 kW Poulson arc converter VLF transmitters seen on this page. By October of 1918, the station was on-the-air using VLF transmissions.

                      On October 24, 1931, one of the Poulson transmitters was replaced with a TBC type V.L.F. transmitter. On August 13, 1937 a Helix House building for the new TBJ transmitter was started. On March 19, 1938, the original Arc Converter and Poulson Transmitters were replaced by RCA TBJ transmitters."

                      from: http://hawkins.pair.com/nss_birth1.html

                      On the pre 1944 designations: one website says the 1st letter is the type: e.g T=transmitter, R=receiver, etc (like todays JAN AN/nnn) ; 2nd letter is the generation, A=1st,B=2nd; no explanation of the 3rd, but alpha sequence seems logical. In this case TAn series seemed to be 1930, and TBn appears in 1931.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 25, 2014