Tall Top

  • unrecognizedresponse
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 21, 2013
      The reference in this document to "Tall Top" in the context of OPAL '55 is entirely new to me. I cannot find this UNCLAS nickname or codeword used elsewhere.

      http://www.eisenhower.archives.gov/research/online_documents/declassified/fy_2012/1955_05_26.pdf
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 21, 2013
        I have a vague recollection of seeing that name associated with Camp David.

        Albert

        The reference in this document to "Tall Top" in the context of OPAL '55 is
        entirely new to me. I cannot find this UNCLAS nickname or codeword used
        elsewhere.

        http://www.eisenhower.archives.gov/research/online_documents/declassified/fy
        _2012/1955_05_26.pdf

      • Christopher Bright
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 21, 2013
          I suspect listmember David Krugler can answer this question; I am away from his book which is in my office.

          I know this: In OPAL 1955, Ike was evacuated to the High Point construction site. "Tall Top" is probably the code name given to the tent city erected near High Point which stood in for it since it wasn't yet completed (hence the allusion to tents).

          From there, Ike went to Camp David. While at Camp David, he went to Raven Rock to hold an NSC meeting. But it seems more likely Ike examined the Greenbrier (as noted) while in Virginia rather than while at Camp David.

          Christopher Bright

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 21, 2013
            In the absence of David Krugler AND his book, I checked my notes.

            I was wrong on all counts. According to a msg from David years ago, Tall Top (then "Citrus") was the Camp David code name.

            However, assuming I'm reading the memo correctly and it notes Ike might look at the proposed congressional relo site while at Tall Top, this presupposes some location in the Penna/Maryland area was in the running before the Greenbrier was selected.

            Christopher Bright

          • farrel_becker
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 22, 2013
              Note the author of the memo. Known as "Ned Beach" he was the author of "Run Silent, Run Deep" and and others.

              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "unrecognizedresponse" <mtcatoctin@...> wrote:

              > The reference in this document to "Tall Top" in the context of OPAL '55 is entirely new to me. I cannot find this UNCLAS nickname or codeword used elsewhere.
              >
              > http://www.eisenhower.archives.gov/research/online_documents/declassified/fy_2012/1955_05_26.pdf

            • David Krugler
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 22, 2013
                Thanks, Christopher, for turning up that ancient email and sharing it.

                I went back to my source material. A June 27, 1955 memorandum I photocopied from the Eisenhower Library provides an after-the-event outline of Eisenhower's movements during Operation Alert 1955. The memo's author, Staff Secretary Colonel Andrew Goodpaster (who worked closely with Ned Beach, mentioned in an earlier post in this thread), several times uses the phrase "Tall Top" to refer to Camp David. For example, on June 15, 1955, 1900-2100: "Tall Top--Dinner with the following Staff members as guests: Messrs. Stassen, Dillon Anderson, Hagerty, Morgan, Hauge. During the dinner, questions relating to the exercise declaration of mock martial law were brought to the President for consideration."

                In another document from OPAL55, Camp David is simply referred to as "White House Relocation Site."

                David Krugler

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 22, 2013
                  I think you mean Cmdr. (Capt.) Beach, Naval Aide.
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_L._Beach,_Jr.

                  Appt logs show Ike at Camp David from 6PM June 15 until leaving for Ft. Ritchie the next day. He was there with Beach and Goodpaster and had a Telecon transmission. I saw a photo once of Ike in front of a mic and mixer with Goodpaster over his shoulder, perhaps at OPAL '55. Unidentified location. Tiny wood-paneled room. Didn't look like Aspen Lodge. Not a TV studio.
                  http://www.eisenhower.archives.gov/research/online_documents/presidential_appointment_books/1955/June_1955.pdf

                  --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, David Krugler <kruglerd@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks, Christopher, for turning up that ancient email and sharing it.
                  >
                  > I went back to my source material. A June 27, 1955 memorandum I photocopied from the Eisenhower Library provides an after-the-event outline of Eisenhower's movements during Operation Alert 1955. The memo's author, Staff Secretary Colonel Andrew Goodpaster (who worked closely with Ned Beach, mentioned in an earlier post in this thread), several times uses the phrase "Tall Top" to refer to Camp David. For example, on June 15, 1955, 1900-2100: "Tall Top--Dinner with the following Staff members as guests: Messrs. Stassen, Dillon Anderson, Hagerty, Morgan, Hauge. During the dinner, questions relating to the exercise declaration of mock martial law were brought to the President for consideration."
                  >
                  > In another document from OPAL55, Camp David is simply referred to as "White House Relocation Site."
                  >
                  > David Krugler

                • goldsmithtim
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 16, 2014
                    I was just re-reading a couple of the documents I recently posted in the files section under Greenbrier/Sweet Briar. In the document from November 7 1955 I noticed that they were talking about selecting the site for "Tall Top" pending the selection of the Congressional location site.

                    In one of the two November 30th 1955 documents, outlining the requirements for a Presidential Relocation site and they discuss how the Presidential site needs to be operationally independent while Camp David is a satellite operation of the White House. At that point Tall Top was going to be either Hot Springs or Sweet Briar college.

                    So Tall Top appears to be the code for whatever place where the president goes, which they were moving away from Camp David and closer to the Congressional site.

                    This is all two years after underground excavation of Mt. Weather had begun which is confirmable from other sources.

                    I find this weird. What do you all think?

                  • unrecognizedresponse
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 27, 2014
                      Funny that the other PEF sites used the "C" naming convention (Corkscrew, etc.). However, I've seen Citrus/Orange One associated with Aspen Lodge. Was there an Orange Two?

                      Given that Lowpoint (Battle Creek), Newspoint (Richmond) and High Point (Bluemont) were all loosely related. Some aspects of the name High Point were restricted, but, to my knowledge, Lowpoint and Newspoint were in published news articles.

                      Could Casper provide a contingency to hold VP (in his capacity as President of the Senate)? Maybe Pres to Citrus, Cabinet to H P, VP and Congress to Casper, SecDef to Site R. Nixon seemed mostly a marginal participant in OPAL's.

                      Was it ever established the nominal or designated relocation site for VP? The memo in this thread hints that Nixon would go elsewhere. Because of his Constitutional role, he'd be legally entitled to a Casper spot. For casting tie votes.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 27, 2014
                        >>>Cabinet to H P

                        Rumor had it that some Cabinet heads & staff reported to the Project Offices at some point in the 1960's; prior ERS's probably remained active for some time.

                        >>>The memo in this thread hints that Nixon would go elsewhere. Because of his Constitutional role, he'd be legally entitled to a Casper spot. For casting tie votes.

                        ISTM that could be accomplished by CCTV, with proper authentication.