Re: K-Hut and Golden Spike Tower pictures between Cheyenne and Laramie

  • cpe122
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 19, 2013
      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Pj <packy41@...> wrote:

      :

      > I am not sure where the former K cable near there went as I have not noticed any between the Vedavoo hut and the next hut possibly near Elk Mountain?

      http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/1366421223-23933-64.223.229.31.html

      We still need help with the pink ones; they are guesses and/or approximations.

      /cpe
    • Pj
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 20, 2013
        As the snow melts and the roads open, ill see what I can dig up.

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Apr 19, 2013, at 7:31 PM, "cpe122" <cpe122@...> wrote:

        > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Pj <packy41@...> wrote:
        >>
        > :
        >>
        >> I am not sure where the former K cable near there went as I have not noticed any between the Vedavoo hut and the next hut possibly near Elk Mountain?
        >
        > http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/1366421223-23933-64.223.229.31.html
        >
        > We still need help with the pink ones; they are guesses and/or approximations.
        >
        > /cpe

      • cpe122
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 21, 2013
          Look forward to what you find. I'd be particularly interest in an any signage you might find that might designate/identify which-is-which locally. I'm now pretty sure Rattlesnake Pass between Routes 130 & 72 is "found"; not sure how near you that is. Some of the "in town" ones are still very much "missing". I wonder if any of them were CO additions; though I don't know how you'd tell with any degree of certainty...

          /cpe

        • rjfrank1@ymail.com
          Message 4 of 26 , May 2 6:40 PM
            The "Church Butte" K hut is located at 41°29'58.73"N, 110° 8'17.52"W.

            The initial fiber route AT&T deployed between Denver and Salt Lake City traversed Wyoming utilizing the former K-Carrier ROW. I can confirm the McFadden K site location as I have worked in the AT&T facility adjacent to it. I am very certain that Bosler, "Rattlesnake Pass," and "Leroy Exit" are placed at the correct locations along the ROW, though I do not know the historical names of the latter two sites.

            I believe the Cheyenne K terminal may have been located at the former Mountain States Telephone & Telegraph Building (1906), 1623 Capitol Avenue.

            I would recommend changing the K hut placemark listed on the map as "Riovista" to Green River. The cable route ROW can be followed eastward from the "Little America" K hut to the western edge of Green River near location 41°31'25.95"N, 109°29'5.58"W and does not pass through the James Town/Rio Vista area. Unfortunately, I do not have any historical information where the Laramie, Rawlins, Rock Springs, and Green River K sites may have been located.

            As a reference for better understanding the K-carrier route pathway across the western half of Wyoming, review the Lincoln Highway Association map. The K-carrier ROW roughly parallels the Lincoln Highway/US 30 route from Walcott Junction to Evanston. There is a lot of colorful history associated with the construction of this road. Enjoy the website links.

            http://www.lincolnhighwayassoc.org/map/
            http://www.wyomingtalesandtrails.com/lincoln.html
            http://www.wyomingtalesandtrails.com/cheyenne4a.html

            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "cpe122" <cpe122@...> wrote:

            > Look forward to what you find. I'd be particularly interest in an any signage you might find that might designate/identify which-is-which locally. I'm now pretty sure Rattlesnake Pass between Routes 130 & 72 is "found"; not sure how near you that is. Some of the "in town" ones are still very much "missing". I wonder if any of them were CO additions; though I don't know how you'd tell with any degree of certainty...
            >

            > /cpe
            > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Pj <packy41@> wrote:
            > >
            > > As the snow melts and the roads open, ill see what I can dig up.
            > >
            > > Sent from my iPhone
            > >
            > > On Apr 19, 2013, at 7:31 PM, "cpe122" <cpe122@> wrote:
            > >
            > > > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Pj <packy41@> wrote:
            > > >>
            > > > :

            > > > http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/1366421223-23933-64.223.229.31.html
            > > >
            > > > We still need help with the pink ones; they are guesses and/or approximations.
            > > >
            > > > /cpe

          • Pj
            Message 5 of 26 , May 2 8:12 PM
              That would make sense for Ft Steele. I did not see any other signs around or on the facility other than the AT&T ones. There was a "buried cable marker on the east and west fences about 20ft? north of the centerline of the hut.

              There are a few pipelines the run just to the south of hut - but only the AT&T markers could be seen on both sides of the North Platte River. I have seen the Quest markers at Vedvuee (never can spell that) and I believe near the Granite Quarry, but didn't see any at Ft Steele. When work sends me back that way I'll take a closer look.

              As for the Cheyenne CO/Fiber, IIRC the east side of the building still has(had) a sign that said Mountain Bell employee's only and the west side showed an "AT&T Employees" only entrance. I'll see if I can snag pictures this week.

            • rjfrank1@ymail.com
              Message 6 of 26 , May 2 9:59 PM
                There are only four AT&T sites located adjacent to the K huts along the ROW within the state, so it is understandable that the route markers might be confusing. Available GE Street View imagery for the Elk Mountain K site is a good example to review to help you discern the differences between the buildings. Most of the AT&T sites will also have a pole mounted, reflective orange site marker that begins with "FT" located near the hut.

                In respect to Cheyenne, you are correct about the doorway entrances. The Capitol Avenue entrance (west side) is used for AT&T facility access and the Central Avenue (east side) is for Qwest/CenturyLink facility access. Cheyenne functions as an AT&T POP, the majority of the building is allocated to Qwest/CenturyLink network requirements. Also of interest relating to Cheyenne this year, AT&T held the 2013 Annual Stockholders Meeting at Little America Hotel & Resort, 2800 West Lincolnway.

                Message 7 of 26 , May 2 10:07 PM
                  I want to say the one at Ft Steele was FT 09-xx. I didnt take a pic of that but was on the first west pole. I'll need to revisit :)
                • cpe122
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 6 9:29 PM
                    --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "rjfrank1" wrote:

                    > The "Church Butte" K hut is located at 41°29'58.73"N, 110° 8'17.52"W.

                    I missed the fact that the Old Lincoln Hwy was that far north of I-80!

                    > The initial fiber route AT&T deployed between Denver and Salt Lake City traversed Wyoming utilizing the former K-Carrier ROW. I can confirm the McFadden K site location as I have worked in the AT&T facility adjacent to it. I am very certain that Bosler, "Rattlesnake Pass," and "Leroy Exit" are placed at the correct locations along the ROW, though I do not know the historical names of the latter two sites.

                    Thanks. We threw names at a alot of these just to keep our sanity as we don't have the actual hut station numbers, and they were so far from I-80 that mile markers had no meaning.

                    > I believe the Cheyenne K terminal may have been located at the former Mountain States Telephone & Telegraph Building (1906), 1623 Capitol Avenue.

                    I like it (Cheyenne Main is definitely too new!).

                    > I would recommend changing the K hut placemark listed on the map as "Riovista" to Green River. The cable route ROW can be followed eastward from the "Little America" K hut to the western edge of Green River near location 41°31'25.95"N, 109°29'5.58"W and does not pass through the James Town/Rio Vista area. Unfortunately, I do not have any historical information where the Laramie, Rawlins, Rock Springs, and Green River K sites may have been located.

                    Done. Placeholder renamed and moved to a more interesting location up in 'Telephone Canyon'.

                    > As a reference for better understanding the K-carrier route pathway across the western half of Wyoming, review the Lincoln Highway Association map. The K-carrier ROW roughly parallels the Lincoln Highway/US 30 route from Walcott Junction to Evanston. There is a lot of colorful history associated with the construction of this road. Enjoy the website links.
                    >
                    > http://www.lincolnhighwayassoc.org/map/
                    > http://www.wyomingtalesandtrails.com/lincoln.html
                    > http://www.wyomingtalesandtrails.com/cheyenne4a.html
                    >
                    > >RJFrank

                    Roger that. I like taking the Lincoln Hwy in OH & IN; much less stressful than I-80/I-90.

                    Updated visual:
                    http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/1367900774-11000-70.16.72.20.html

                    /cpe