Misty Picture Test

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 18, 2013
      I was browsing ANFO explosions after seeing the Waco explosion on the news & found this: Misty Picture was a 1987 HE test of 4685 tons of ANFO, & it's effects on various things, including comms, so it's somewhat on topic; it reads like the nuke tests of 1950's:

      http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a283521.pdf
    • rjfrank1@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 19, 2013
        One of the former AT&T West, TX repeater facilities is located approximately 0.75 miles north-west (line of sight) from the blast epicenter. It would be interesting to know the magnitude of the blast overpressure the tower was subjected to during the explosion and whether or not the tower sustained any damage.

        This tower site is shown in the 1979 System Map as having paths facing Itasca and Riesel. I have not been able to find an AT&T legacy call sign for the tower site but it has a current registration to Hilco Electric COOP, Itasca, TX. Another resource indicates the tower was also previously registered to New Horizon Towers, San Angelo, TX.

        West/WQQA824; 31 49 35.0 N, 97 05 38.1 W
        Itasca; WQGK214/WQOH217; 32 09 54.1 N, 97 06 02.2 W
        Riesel; 31 27 36.8 N, 96 53 15.5 W

        The other AT&T West, TX repeater facility was located approximately 4.37 miles south-west (line of sight) from this site location with paths facing Hillsboro and Waco. Based on Google Earth historical imagery, the tower at this site had collapsed sometime before 1/31/2003 and remained derelict/in-situ on the ground until sometime after 11/2/2011 when the structure was removed. Bing imagery also clearly shows the tower in this state. Current Google imagery shows the scars still remaining on the ground where the tower/horns rested for so many years.

        West/KKB47; 31 46 27.5 N, 97 08 13.0 W
        Hillsboro/KKB46; 32 00 43.5 N, 97 07 37.0 W
        Waco/KKB49; 31 33 14.5 N, 97 08 14.0 W

        Cheers, RJFrank

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 19, 2013
          On 4/19/13 3:14 PM, rjfrank1@... wrote:

          > This tower site is shown in the 1979 System Map as having paths facing
          > Itasca and Riesel. I have not been able to find an AT&T legacy call
          > sign for the tower site but it has a current registration to Hilco
          > Electric COOP, Itasca, TX.

          Perhaps KZA34....

          <http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/AsrSearch/asrRegistration.jsp?regKey=617485>
        • rjfrank1@ymail.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 19, 2013
            Unfortunately, KZA34 does not appear to be searchable on the FCC ULS website so defer to your database information. The FCC ASR information was helpful as it details the timeline of ownership transfer from AT&T>American Tower>Arkatek>New Horizon. Next time I will search owner FCC ID information if available. Thanks. Hilco Electric COOP appears to be only leasing space on the West and Itasca tower sites.

            Cheers, RJFrank

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 19, 2013
              On 4/19/13 5:17 PM, rjfrank1@... wrote:

              > Unfortunately, KZA34 does not appear to be searchable on the FCC ULS
              > website so defer to your database information.

              It's too old. ULS has all records that were active on the cutoff day; even
              if they have since expired.

              Albert has some old hardcopy records. Maybe they....

              > The FCC ASR information was helpful as it details the timeline of
              > ownership transfer from AT&T>American Tower>Arkatek>New Horizon. Next
              > time I will search owner FCC ID information if available. Thanks. Hilco
              > Electric COOP appears to be only leasing space on the West and Itasca
              > tower sites.

              I use the fccinfo.com G.E. plugin; I went to West and all the >200 ft
              towers popped up.....
            • bobsayers2000
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 20, 2013
                There is a US DoD film which very comprehensively shows the preparations for this Test, including mixing the ingredients using machinery like a concrete-batching plant, and workers inside the containment building levelling the mixture with big agricultural rakes. I saw this many years ago with a group of nuclear protection scientists under the old UK Civil Defence arrangements and I would imagine it is probably now declassified, but so far I haven't discovered it on the Internet.

                I remember that it showed various NATO countries contributing hardware to be tested in the blast. Some had contributed jet fighters, MBTs and AFVs, etc, but the UK's contribution seemed to be a slit trench with a sheet of corrugated iron over it ......

                Bob
                Sent from Samsung Mobile