Re: [coldwarcomms] River Crossings/Maps

  • Ken Bowles
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 10, 2013
      Neat! Thanks!

      Ken

      On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 5:41 PM, Blake Bowers <bbowerslists@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Yeah, sort of what I found. It sucks to be old.
      >
      > Anyways, here It is, photos of the location guide for the Lilllyville -
      > Hillsboro L5 cable route, Mississippi River - Hillsboro section, as well as
      > the added bonus of other various sites from STL south.
      >
      > http://www.flickr.com/photos/ashleyandcompany/8639045236/in/photostream
      >

      > _____

    • ajbtelecom
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 12, 2013
        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Blake Bowers <bbowerslists@...> wrote:

        > Yeah, sort of what I found. It sucks to be old.
        ******************

        Hi Blake, I feel the same way a lot of days, but my new policy is to cash in on the main dividend of age, i.e. wisdom. To wit:

        A young bull and an old bull are sitting on hilltop, looking down on a valley that is filled with hot female cows. The young bull says, "I think we should run down there as fast as we can, and do it with one of those cows."

        The old bull says, "Yeah, we could do that. Or, we could take our time and walk down there, and do it with all of them."

        Yes, it is an old joke. What do you expect from an old guy?

        Keep the faith,
        Jim Bennett
        ===================================
        Speaking from etc. etc.
      • Blake Bowers
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 12, 2013
          Lol. I figure as long as I know what "IT" is, I am doing ok.!

          _____

          > Yeah, sort of what I found. It sucks to be old.
          ******************

          Hi Blake, I feel the same way a lot of days, but my new policy is to cash in
          on the main dividend of age, i.e. wisdom. To wit:

          A young bull and an old bull are sitting on hilltop, looking down on a
          valley that is filled with hot female cows. The young bull says, "I think we
          should run down there as fast as we can, and do it with one of those cows."

          The old bull says, "Yeah, we could do that. Or, we could take our time and
          walk down there, and do it with all of them."

          Yes, it is an old joke. What do you expect from an old guy?

          Keep the faith,
          Jim Bennett
        • Tom
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 12, 2013
            You're only OLD when you walk around an old AT&T Microwave Tower and hesitate to at least try all the doors and see if any were left ajar or even unlocked, OR when you cave into your spouses warnings that you're being watched or that you "could be arrested."

            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "ajbtelecom" <ajbtelecom@...> wrote:

            > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Blake Bowers <bbowerslists@> wrote:
            >
            > > Yeah, sort of what I found. It sucks to be old.
            > ******************
            >
            > Hi Blake, I feel the same way a lot of days, but my new policy is to cash in on the main dividend of age, i.e. wisdom. To wit:
            >
            > A young bull and an old bull are sitting on hilltop, looking down on a valley that is filled with hot female cows. The young bull says, "I think we should run down there as fast as we can, and do it with one of those cows."
            >
            > The old bull says, "Yeah, we could do that. Or, we could take our time and walk down there, and do it with all of them."
            >
            > Yes, it is an old joke. What do you expect from an old guy?
            >
            > Keep the faith,
            > Jim Bennett
            > ===================================
            > Speaking from etc. etc.

          • Fred
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 18, 2013
              There were two L-5 river crossings in the Mississippi river, they were
              trenched in about 1/4 mile apart. East side joined at man hole 63, west
              side at mam hole 64 on the Dow Chemical Co. property.
              Fred Wall Retired Hillsboro

              On 4/10/2013 3:03 AM, Blake Bowers wrote:

              > Maybe I just posted a picture. Here is the hut listing between Hillsboro
              > and the river. Next photo is the hut listing south almost to Sikeston.

            • Kevin Anderson, K9IUA
              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 19, 2013
                The current Mississippi River navigation charts show only one protected cable/pipeline crossing due east of Pevely, just above river mile 153:
                <http://www2.mvr.usace.army.mil/NIC2/Documents/MissRiver2011/CHART_133.pdf>

                Kevin Anderson

                --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Fred <fcwall@...> wrote:

                > There were two L-5 river crossings in the Mississippi river, they were
                > trenched in about 1/4 mile apart. East side joined at man hole 63, west
                > side at mam hole 64 on the Dow Chemical Co. property.
                > Fred Wall Retired Hillsboro

              • Mike Cowen
                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 19, 2013
                  The stated "about 1/4 mile apart" spacing could
                  just fit within the shaded area, so no guarantee
                  there aren't really 2 crossings there. Difficult
                  to prove without current eyes on ground, and one side is within Dow Chemical...

                  Mike

                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 19, 2013
                    On 4/19/13 10:44 AM, Kevin Anderson, K9IUA wrote:

                    > The current Mississippi River navigation charts show only one protected
                    > cable/pipeline crossing due east of Pevely, just above river mile 153:
                    > <http://www2.mvr.usace.army.mil/NIC2/Documents/MissRiver2011/CHART_133.pdf>

                    That URL just hangs for me.
                  • Kevin Anderson, K9IUA
                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 20, 2013
                      Don't know, David, but I've been able to access the map (a PDF document) just fine from three different computers through at least two ISPs.
                      Kevin Anderson

                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 20, 2013
                        On 4/20/13 1:11 PM, Kevin Anderson, K9IUA wrote:

                        > Don't know, David, but I've been able to access the map (a PDF document)
                        > just fine from three different computers through at least two ISPs.

                        Today it is fine. I suspect server indigestion.
                      • Scott Hall
                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 21, 2013
                          Using Chrome I experience the same hang but wget retrieves it just fine.

                        • Fred
                          Message 12 of 27 , May 3, 2013
                            The old Chain of Rock Bridge, carried the Chicago - St Louis L-1 6
                            tube coax cable with man hole access to the attachments on the side of
                            the bridge.
                            F red Wall

                            On 4/9/2013 1:07 PM, Thomas Grant wrote:
                            > Go visit the old Chain of Rocks bridge. It carried US Route 66 over the
                            > Mississippi. Today it is a walk path across the river. There are "Bell
                            > System" manhole covers in the bridge deck at regular intervals.
                            >

                            > On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 12:16 PM, David <wb8foz@...> wrote:
                            >
                            >> **
                            >>

                            >> So there's been some discussion about river crossings.
                            >>
                            >> Do we know locations of any of the Mississippi river crossing? I gather
                            >> there are 2 per route, with some distance between them. (How far?)
                            >>
                            >> A friend in St Louis likes to take pictures of the river, and if I could
                            >> get a location, she'd look for line markers.
                            >>
                            >> It looks like the Lillyville-Hillsburo line line crosses somewhere near
                            >> STL, but the only map I found was nationwide and far too poor a resolution
                            >> to tell much.
                            >>
                            >> Given the river there is less than a mile wide, I'd assume they just put a
                            >> repeater vault near each landfall. How deep were the cables trenched in
                            >> the
                            >> bottom? And how did they handle making the splices?
                            >>
                            >> And are their fiber successors trenched, or run along fixed bridges?

                          • farrel_becker
                            Message 13 of 27 , May 5, 2013
                              A photo of a manhole on the Illinois side:

                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/dustinholmes/5129651268/in/set-72157626182882107/

                              Looking at the bridge in Bing bird's eye, it looks like there are manholes spaced all across the bridge. Was that the case or just at the ends?

                              Farrel

                              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Fred <fcwall@...> wrote:

                              > The old Chain of Rock Bridge, carried the Chicago - St Louis L-1 6
                              > tube coax cable with man hole access to the attachments on the side of
                              > the bridge.
                              > F red Wall
                              >

                              > On 4/9/2013 1:07 PM, Thomas Grant wrote:
                              > > Go visit the old Chain of Rocks bridge. It carried US Route 66 over the
                              > > Mississippi. Today it is a walk path across the river. There are "Bell
                              > > System" manhole covers in the bridge deck at regular intervals.
                              > >

                              > > On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 12:16 PM, David <wb8foz@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > >> **
                              > >>

                              > >> So there's been some discussion about river crossings.
                              > >>
                              > >> Do we know locations of any of the Mississippi river crossing? I gather
                              > >> there are 2 per route, with some distance between them. (How far?)
                              > >>
                              > >> A friend in St Louis likes to take pictures of the river, and if I could
                              > >> get a location, she'd look for line markers.
                              > >>
                              > >> It looks like the Lillyville-Hillsburo line line crosses somewhere near
                              > >> STL, but the only map I found was nationwide and far too poor a resolution
                              > >> to tell much.
                              > >>
                              > >> Given the river there is less than a mile wide, I'd assume they just put a
                              > >> repeater vault near each landfall. How deep were the cables trenched in
                              > >> the
                              > >> bottom? And how did they handle making the splices?
                              > >>
                              > >> And are their fiber successors trenched, or run along fixed bridges?

                            • Thomas Grant
                              Message 14 of 27 , May 5, 2013
                                All across the bridge at regular intervals.