RE: [coldwarcomms] River Crossings/Maps

  • Blake Bowers
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 10, 2013
      As Ken reports, near the Dow Chemical plant in Peverly MO is the crossing
      for fiber and the old cable to Hillsboro. I posted a listing of the huts at
      one point last year I think. I don't believe they were real worried about
      putting a hut or vault on each side, they just kept on trucking.

      _____

      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 10, 2013
        Maybe I just posted a picture. Here is the hut listing between Hillsboro
        and the river. Next photo is the hut listing south almost to Sikeston.

        The Lillyville-Hillsboro route (overlaid w/fiber) seems to go across the
        Mississippi in Peverly MO. It seems to go from Highway 61 East along
        railroad and Riverside Drive to the Mississippi River past Dow Chemical
        Company. A marker can be seen on the North Side of the plant next to the
        railroad and the drive. I've never tried to drive back behind Dow to
        investigate.

        Ken in Union MO

        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 10, 2013
          If you look at Google maps sat view on the northeast corner of the fenced in
          facility, it looks like a traffic stop at the back gate to the Dow complex.
          Pickup truck at the gate, gate closed, and a white car with something on the
          roof just behind it. Door hanging open on the pickup truck.

          Maybe a good idea not to go back there! LOL

          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 10, 2013
            Blake . . . no pictures nor listings came through to my computer. Would be
            interested in seeing them.

            Ken

            On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 3:03 AM, Blake Bowers <bbowerslists@...>wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Maybe I just posted a picture. Here is the hut listing between Hillsboro
            > and the river. Next photo is the hut listing south almost to Sikeston.

          • Kevin Anderson, K9IUA
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 10, 2013
              I may be mistaken, but I seem to recall (from my days of working at the Army Corps of Engineers in the mid-1990s) these cable crossing being marked on the Upper Mississippi River navigation charts back before the current versions. Unfortunately I do not have access to these previous charts any longer to verify my memory, and the online sources today are all present charts that lack these extra markings.

              I would love to know the old L4 crossing point for the Plano-Cascade leg.

              Kevin Anderson
              Dubuque, Iowa

              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Ken Bowles <ken.dl5bk@...> wrote:

              > The Lillyville-Hillsboro route (overlaid w/fiber) seems to go across the
              > Mississippi in Peverly MO. It seems to go from Highway 61 East along
              > railroad and Riverside Drive to the Mississippi River past Dow Chemical
              > Company. A marker can be seen on the North Side of the plant next to the
              > railroad and the drive. I've never tried to drive back behind Dow to
              > investigate.
              >
              > Ken in Union MO
              >

              > On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 12:16 PM, David <wb8foz@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > So there's been some discussion about river crossings.
              > >
              > > Do we know locations of any of the Mississippi river crossing? I gather
              > > there are 2 per route, with some distance between them. (How far?)
              > >
              > > A friend in St Louis likes to take pictures of the river, and if I could
              > > get a location, she'd look for line markers.
              > >
              > > It looks like the Lillyville-Hillsburo line line crosses somewhere near
              > > STL, but the only map I found was nationwide and far too poor a resolution
              > > to tell much.
              > >
              > > Given the river there is less than a mile wide, I'd assume they just put a
              > > repeater vault near each landfall. How deep were the cables trenched in
              > > the
              > > bottom? And how did they handle making the splices?
              > >
              > > And are their fiber successors trenched, or run along fixed bridges?

            • james kester
              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 10, 2013
                You are not mistaken, they're all marked.

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 10, 2013
                  On 4/10/13 3:20 AM, Blake Bowers wrote:

                  > I posted a listing of the huts at one point last year I think. I don't
                  > believe they were real worried about putting a hut or vault on each
                  > side, they just kept on trucking.

                  My searching-fu is weak today & I'm not finding that message....
                • Kevin Anderson, K9IUA
                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 10, 2013
                    Okay, current Upper Mississippi River charts from the Navigation Information Center indicate two protected cable or pipeline crossings for my area of interest:

                    Chart 63 <http://www2.mvr.usace.army.mil/NIC2/Documents/MissRiver2011/CHART_63.pdf> covering Bellevue, Iowa, showing a crossing about 1/2 mile or so above Lock and Dam 12, at the north end of town.

                    Chart 67 <http://www2.mvr.usace.army.mil/NIC2/Documents/MissRiver2011/CHART_67.pdf> covering Savanna, Illinois, showing a crossing right smack dab in the middle of town.

                    Neither of these strike me as particularly likely for the L4 Plano-Cascade crossing (with the possible exception of Bellevue), just given how close they are to or amongst built-up areas. I would have thought L-L would have avoided built areas when laying the coaxial cable.

                    I haven't looked at the charts down near St. Louis for the other crossing that you have been discussing, although someone else could using the same source.

                    Kevin Anderson

                    --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, james kester <radioconstco@...> wrote:

                    > You are not mistaken, they're all marked.
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • Blake Bowers
                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 10, 2013
                      Yeah, sort of what I found. It sucks to be old.

                      Anyways, here It is, photos of the location guide for the Lilllyville -
                      Hillsboro L5 cable route, Mississippi River - Hillsboro section, as well as
                      the added bonus of other various sites from STL south.

                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/ashleyandcompany/8639045236/in/photostream

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 10, 2013
                        Neat! Thanks!

                        Ken

                        On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 5:41 PM, Blake Bowers <bbowerslists@...>wrote:

                        > **
                        >

                        > Yeah, sort of what I found. It sucks to be old.
                        >
                        > Anyways, here It is, photos of the location guide for the Lilllyville -
                        > Hillsboro L5 cable route, Mississippi River - Hillsboro section, as well as
                        > the added bonus of other various sites from STL south.
                        >
                        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/ashleyandcompany/8639045236/in/photostream
                        >

                        > _____

                      • ajbtelecom
                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 12, 2013
                          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Blake Bowers <bbowerslists@...> wrote:

                          > Yeah, sort of what I found. It sucks to be old.
                          ******************

                          Hi Blake, I feel the same way a lot of days, but my new policy is to cash in on the main dividend of age, i.e. wisdom. To wit:

                          A young bull and an old bull are sitting on hilltop, looking down on a valley that is filled with hot female cows. The young bull says, "I think we should run down there as fast as we can, and do it with one of those cows."

                          The old bull says, "Yeah, we could do that. Or, we could take our time and walk down there, and do it with all of them."

                          Yes, it is an old joke. What do you expect from an old guy?

                          Keep the faith,
                          Jim Bennett
                          ===================================
                          Speaking from etc. etc.
                        • Blake Bowers
                          Message 12 of 27 , Apr 12, 2013
                            Lol. I figure as long as I know what "IT" is, I am doing ok.!

                            _____

                            > Yeah, sort of what I found. It sucks to be old.
                            ******************

                            Hi Blake, I feel the same way a lot of days, but my new policy is to cash in
                            on the main dividend of age, i.e. wisdom. To wit:

                            A young bull and an old bull are sitting on hilltop, looking down on a
                            valley that is filled with hot female cows. The young bull says, "I think we
                            should run down there as fast as we can, and do it with one of those cows."

                            The old bull says, "Yeah, we could do that. Or, we could take our time and
                            walk down there, and do it with all of them."

                            Yes, it is an old joke. What do you expect from an old guy?

                            Keep the faith,
                            Jim Bennett
                          • Tom
                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 12, 2013
                              You're only OLD when you walk around an old AT&T Microwave Tower and hesitate to at least try all the doors and see if any were left ajar or even unlocked, OR when you cave into your spouses warnings that you're being watched or that you "could be arrested."

                              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "ajbtelecom" <ajbtelecom@...> wrote:

                              > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Blake Bowers <bbowerslists@> wrote:
                              >
                              > > Yeah, sort of what I found. It sucks to be old.
                              > ******************
                              >
                              > Hi Blake, I feel the same way a lot of days, but my new policy is to cash in on the main dividend of age, i.e. wisdom. To wit:
                              >
                              > A young bull and an old bull are sitting on hilltop, looking down on a valley that is filled with hot female cows. The young bull says, "I think we should run down there as fast as we can, and do it with one of those cows."
                              >
                              > The old bull says, "Yeah, we could do that. Or, we could take our time and walk down there, and do it with all of them."
                              >
                              > Yes, it is an old joke. What do you expect from an old guy?
                              >
                              > Keep the faith,
                              > Jim Bennett
                              > ===================================
                              > Speaking from etc. etc.

                            • Fred
                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 18, 2013
                                There were two L-5 river crossings in the Mississippi river, they were
                                trenched in about 1/4 mile apart. East side joined at man hole 63, west
                                side at mam hole 64 on the Dow Chemical Co. property.
                                Fred Wall Retired Hillsboro

                                Message 15 of 27 , Apr 19, 2013
                                  The current Mississippi River navigation charts show only one protected cable/pipeline crossing due east of Pevely, just above river mile 153:
                                  <http://www2.mvr.usace.army.mil/NIC2/Documents/MissRiver2011/CHART_133.pdf>

                                  Kevin Anderson

                                  --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Fred <fcwall@...> wrote:

                                  > There were two L-5 river crossings in the Mississippi river, they were
                                  > trenched in about 1/4 mile apart. East side joined at man hole 63, west
                                  > side at mam hole 64 on the Dow Chemical Co. property.
                                  > Fred Wall Retired Hillsboro

                                • Mike Cowen
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 19, 2013
                                    The stated "about 1/4 mile apart" spacing could
                                    just fit within the shaded area, so no guarantee
                                    there aren't really 2 crossings there. Difficult
                                    to prove without current eyes on ground, and one side is within Dow Chemical...

                                    Mike

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Apr 19, 2013
                                      On 4/19/13 10:44 AM, Kevin Anderson, K9IUA wrote:

                                      > The current Mississippi River navigation charts show only one protected
                                      > cable/pipeline crossing due east of Pevely, just above river mile 153:
                                      > <http://www2.mvr.usace.army.mil/NIC2/Documents/MissRiver2011/CHART_133.pdf>

                                      That URL just hangs for me.
                                    • Kevin Anderson, K9IUA
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Apr 20, 2013
                                        Don't know, David, but I've been able to access the map (a PDF document) just fine from three different computers through at least two ISPs.
                                        Kevin Anderson

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Apr 20, 2013
                                          On 4/20/13 1:11 PM, Kevin Anderson, K9IUA wrote:

                                          > Don't know, David, but I've been able to access the map (a PDF document)
                                          > just fine from three different computers through at least two ISPs.

                                          Today it is fine. I suspect server indigestion.
                                        • Scott Hall
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Apr 21, 2013
                                            Using Chrome I experience the same hang but wget retrieves it just fine.

                                          • Fred
                                            Message 21 of 27 , May 3 11:25 AM
                                              The old Chain of Rock Bridge, carried the Chicago - St Louis L-1 6
                                              tube coax cable with man hole access to the attachments on the side of
                                              the bridge.
                                              F red Wall

                                              On 4/9/2013 1:07 PM, Thomas Grant wrote:
                                              > Go visit the old Chain of Rocks bridge. It carried US Route 66 over the
                                              > Mississippi. Today it is a walk path across the river. There are "Bell
                                              > System" manhole covers in the bridge deck at regular intervals.
                                              >

                                              > On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 12:16 PM, David <wb8foz@...> wrote:
                                              >
                                              >> **
                                              >>

                                              >> So there's been some discussion about river crossings.
                                              >>
                                              >> Do we know locations of any of the Mississippi river crossing? I gather
                                              >> there are 2 per route, with some distance between them. (How far?)
                                              >>
                                              >> A friend in St Louis likes to take pictures of the river, and if I could
                                              >> get a location, she'd look for line markers.
                                              >>
                                              >> It looks like the Lillyville-Hillsburo line line crosses somewhere near
                                              >> STL, but the only map I found was nationwide and far too poor a resolution
                                              >> to tell much.
                                              >>
                                              >> Given the river there is less than a mile wide, I'd assume they just put a
                                              >> repeater vault near each landfall. How deep were the cables trenched in
                                              >> the
                                              >> bottom? And how did they handle making the splices?
                                              >>
                                              >> And are their fiber successors trenched, or run along fixed bridges?

                                            • farrel_becker
                                              Message 22 of 27 , May 5 7:07 AM
                                                A photo of a manhole on the Illinois side:

                                                http://www.flickr.com/photos/dustinholmes/5129651268/in/set-72157626182882107/

                                                Looking at the bridge in Bing bird's eye, it looks like there are manholes spaced all across the bridge. Was that the case or just at the ends?

                                                Farrel

                                                --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Fred <fcwall@...> wrote:

                                                > The old Chain of Rock Bridge, carried the Chicago - St Louis L-1 6
                                                > tube coax cable with man hole access to the attachments on the side of
                                                > the bridge.
                                                > F red Wall
                                                >

                                                > On 4/9/2013 1:07 PM, Thomas Grant wrote:
                                                > > Go visit the old Chain of Rocks bridge. It carried US Route 66 over the
                                                > > Mississippi. Today it is a walk path across the river. There are "Bell
                                                > > System" manhole covers in the bridge deck at regular intervals.
                                                > >

                                                > > On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 12:16 PM, David <wb8foz@...> wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > >> **
                                                > >>

                                                > >> So there's been some discussion about river crossings.
                                                > >>
                                                > >> Do we know locations of any of the Mississippi river crossing? I gather
                                                > >> there are 2 per route, with some distance between them. (How far?)
                                                > >>
                                                > >> A friend in St Louis likes to take pictures of the river, and if I could
                                                > >> get a location, she'd look for line markers.
                                                > >>
                                                > >> It looks like the Lillyville-Hillsburo line line crosses somewhere near
                                                > >> STL, but the only map I found was nationwide and far too poor a resolution
                                                > >> to tell much.
                                                > >>
                                                > >> Given the river there is less than a mile wide, I'd assume they just put a
                                                > >> repeater vault near each landfall. How deep were the cables trenched in
                                                > >> the
                                                > >> bottom? And how did they handle making the splices?
                                                > >>
                                                > >> And are their fiber successors trenched, or run along fixed bridges?

                                              • Thomas Grant
                                                Message 23 of 27 , May 5 8:33 AM
                                                  All across the bridge at regular intervals.