Re: [coldwarcomms] Sterling Va NBS Central Radio Propagation Lab

  • Tim
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 9, 2013
      On 4/9/2013 11:21 AM, OZOB99 wrote:
      > There is mention of a Broad Run Radio at Sterling in post #627 but
      > that place name is in Fauquier Co, not Sterling, so I don't know if
      > there is a connection yet.
      >

      > There was/is a National Weather Service facility at Sterling.

      I think I located the site of the old Army Security Agency Broad
      Run Radio Station back in the 1990s, after having read the Army Corps of
      Engineers
      DERP-FUDS report which (if my memory is correct) indicated the site was
      near Sterling. The site I found in the 1990s was then operated by NOAA/NWS
      as some sort of proving grounds for RF-based meteorological systems.
      Some of the NOAA/NWS signage I saw looked pretty old. Upon finding the this
      site, my educated guess was that they'd inherited the grounds from GSA
      after ASA vacated the property, but from what the Oz Man has found, it looks
      like the NWS has had the site for a very long time.

      Broad Run is a name dating back a couple hundred years for that area:
      http://www.broadrunfarms.org/general-information/12-broad-run-farms-history

      Tim

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 9, 2013
        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Tim <polohat@...> wrote:

        > On 4/9/2013 11:21 AM, OZOB99 wrote:
        > > There is mention of a Broad Run Radio at Sterling in post #627 but
        > > that place name is in Fauquier Co, not Sterling, so I don't know if
        > > there is a connection yet.
        > >

        > > There was/is a National Weather Service facility at Sterling.
        > >
        > I think I located the site of the old Army Security Agency Broad
        > Run Radio Station back in the 1990s, after having read the Army Corps of
        > Engineers
        > DERP-FUDS report which (if my memory is correct) indicated the site was
        > near Sterling. The site I found in the 1990s was then operated by NOAA/NWS
        > as some sort of proving grounds for RF-based meteorological systems.
        > Some of the NOAA/NWS signage I saw looked pretty old. Upon finding the this
        > site, my educated guess was that they'd inherited the grounds from GSA
        > after ASA vacated the property, but from what the Oz Man has found, it looks
        > like the NWS has had the site for a very long time.
        >
        > Broad Run is a name dating back a couple hundred years for that area:
        > http://www.broadrunfarms.org/general-information/12-broad-run-farms-history
        >
        > Tim

        So the ASA site was Broad Run Farms, not Broad Run; this community is 10 miles from Dulles airport in Loudoun Co, so Sterling could be a reference point.

        Running a quick search I find nothing on ASA,DERP,DENIX or FUDS websites on Broad Run Farms; anyone with a document on this place?
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 28, 2013
          This comms location was one of several involved in measuring distant electromagnetic effects from the Operation Snapper atomic blast in 1952:

          http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a310452.pdf