Sterling Va NBS Central Radio Propagation Lab

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 9, 2013
      AKA NBS Antenna Range, it was established there in 1947, near the present Dulles airport. The mission moved to Boulder CO about 1960,probably due to Dulles airport RF emitters, or it was within the new airport boundaries.

      Notable for a 1951 moon bounce test(just after the NRL Stump Neck experiment), and the parabolic dishes of Grote Reber, including a WW2 German Wurzburg. RF experiments performed at HF through UHF frequencies.

      Photos & references below:

      http://jump.cv.nrao.edu/dbtw-wpd/Textbase/Documents/grncm121951.pdf

      http://jump.cv.nrao.edu/dbtw-wpd/Textbase/Imagefiles/Reber_at_Sterling-3.jpg

      http://jump.cv.nrao.edu/dbtw-wpd/Textbase/Imagefiles/Wurzburg_Sterling.jpg

      http://jump.cv.nrao.edu/dbtw-wpd/Textbase/Imagefiles/Sterling_1949-1.jpg

      http://www.nrao.edu/archives/Reber/reber_item_grncrnbs.shtml

      The Moon bounce was from Collins Radio Cedar Rapids to Sterling, details
      on p24 of:

      http://rockwellcollinsmuseum.org/title_page_documents/16jan2012_CoP_Presentation.pdf

      There is mention of a Broad Run Radio at Sterling in post #627 but that place name is in Fauquier Co, not Sterling, so I don't know if there is a connection yet.

      There was/is a National Weather Service facility at Sterling.
    • Tim
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 9, 2013
        On 4/9/2013 11:21 AM, OZOB99 wrote:
        > There is mention of a Broad Run Radio at Sterling in post #627 but
        > that place name is in Fauquier Co, not Sterling, so I don't know if
        > there is a connection yet.
        >

        > There was/is a National Weather Service facility at Sterling.

        I think I located the site of the old Army Security Agency Broad
        Run Radio Station back in the 1990s, after having read the Army Corps of
        Engineers
        DERP-FUDS report which (if my memory is correct) indicated the site was
        near Sterling. The site I found in the 1990s was then operated by NOAA/NWS
        as some sort of proving grounds for RF-based meteorological systems.
        Some of the NOAA/NWS signage I saw looked pretty old. Upon finding the this
        site, my educated guess was that they'd inherited the grounds from GSA
        after ASA vacated the property, but from what the Oz Man has found, it looks
        like the NWS has had the site for a very long time.

        Broad Run is a name dating back a couple hundred years for that area:
        http://www.broadrunfarms.org/general-information/12-broad-run-farms-history

        Tim

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 9, 2013
          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Tim <polohat@...> wrote:

          > On 4/9/2013 11:21 AM, OZOB99 wrote:
          > > There is mention of a Broad Run Radio at Sterling in post #627 but
          > > that place name is in Fauquier Co, not Sterling, so I don't know if
          > > there is a connection yet.
          > >

          > > There was/is a National Weather Service facility at Sterling.
          > >
          > I think I located the site of the old Army Security Agency Broad
          > Run Radio Station back in the 1990s, after having read the Army Corps of
          > Engineers
          > DERP-FUDS report which (if my memory is correct) indicated the site was
          > near Sterling. The site I found in the 1990s was then operated by NOAA/NWS
          > as some sort of proving grounds for RF-based meteorological systems.
          > Some of the NOAA/NWS signage I saw looked pretty old. Upon finding the this
          > site, my educated guess was that they'd inherited the grounds from GSA
          > after ASA vacated the property, but from what the Oz Man has found, it looks
          > like the NWS has had the site for a very long time.
          >
          > Broad Run is a name dating back a couple hundred years for that area:
          > http://www.broadrunfarms.org/general-information/12-broad-run-farms-history
          >
          > Tim

          So the ASA site was Broad Run Farms, not Broad Run; this community is 10 miles from Dulles airport in Loudoun Co, so Sterling could be a reference point.

          Running a quick search I find nothing on ASA,DERP,DENIX or FUDS websites on Broad Run Farms; anyone with a document on this place?
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 28, 2013
            This comms location was one of several involved in measuring distant electromagnetic effects from the Operation Snapper atomic blast in 1952:

            http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a310452.pdf