River Crossings/Maps

    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 9, 2013
      So there's been some discussion about river crossings.

      Do we know locations of any of the Mississippi river crossing? I gather
      there are 2 per route, with some distance between them. (How far?)

      A friend in St Louis likes to take pictures of the river, and if I could
      get a location, she'd look for line markers.

      It looks like the Lillyville-Hillsburo line line crosses somewhere near
      STL, but the only map I found was nationwide and far too poor a resolution
      to tell much.

      Given the river there is less than a mile wide, I'd assume they just put a
      repeater vault near each landfall. How deep were the cables trenched in the
      bottom? And how did they handle making the splices?

      And are their fiber successors trenched, or run along fixed bridges?
    • Thomas Grant
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 9, 2013
        Go visit the old Chain of Rocks bridge. It carried US Route 66 over the
        Mississippi. Today it is a walk path across the river. There are "Bell
        System" manhole covers in the bridge deck at regular intervals.

        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 9, 2013
          On 4/9/13 2:07 PM, Thomas Grant wrote:

          > Go visit the old Chain of Rocks bridge. It carried US Route 66 over the
          > Mississippi. Today it is a walk path across the river. There are "Bell
          > System" manhole covers in the bridge deck at regular intervals.

          Interesting. It's my guess that would not be L4 but might be L3; they
          wanted L4 buried for survivability & temp. stability. I recall a thread
          about another bridge-hung L3 crossing.
        • Ken Bowles
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 9, 2013
            The Lillyville-Hillsboro route (overlaid w/fiber) seems to go across the
            Mississippi in Peverly MO. It seems to go from Highway 61 East along
            railroad and Riverside Drive to the Mississippi River past Dow Chemical
            Company. A marker can be seen on the North Side of the plant next to the
            railroad and the drive. I've never tried to drive back behind Dow to
            investigate.

            Ken in Union MO

            On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 12:16 PM, David <wb8foz@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > So there's been some discussion about river crossings.
            >
            > Do we know locations of any of the Mississippi river crossing? I gather
            > there are 2 per route, with some distance between them. (How far?)
            >
            > A friend in St Louis likes to take pictures of the river, and if I could
            > get a location, she'd look for line markers.
            >
            > It looks like the Lillyville-Hillsburo line line crosses somewhere near
            > STL, but the only map I found was nationwide and far too poor a resolution
            > to tell much.
            >
            > Given the river there is less than a mile wide, I'd assume they just put a
            > repeater vault near each landfall. How deep were the cables trenched in
            > the
            > bottom? And how did they handle making the splices?
            >
            > And are their fiber successors trenched, or run along fixed bridges?

          • Blake Bowers
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 10, 2013
              As Ken reports, near the Dow Chemical plant in Peverly MO is the crossing
              for fiber and the old cable to Hillsboro. I posted a listing of the huts at
              one point last year I think. I don't believe they were real worried about
              putting a hut or vault on each side, they just kept on trucking.

              _____

              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 10, 2013
                Maybe I just posted a picture. Here is the hut listing between Hillsboro
                and the river. Next photo is the hut listing south almost to Sikeston.

                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 10, 2013
                  If you look at Google maps sat view on the northeast corner of the fenced in
                  facility, it looks like a traffic stop at the back gate to the Dow complex.
                  Pickup truck at the gate, gate closed, and a white car with something on the
                  roof just behind it. Door hanging open on the pickup truck.

                  Maybe a good idea not to go back there! LOL

                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 10, 2013
                    Blake . . . no pictures nor listings came through to my computer. Would be
                    interested in seeing them.

                    Ken

                    On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 3:03 AM, Blake Bowers <bbowerslists@...>wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > Maybe I just posted a picture. Here is the hut listing between Hillsboro
                    > and the river. Next photo is the hut listing south almost to Sikeston.

                  • Kevin Anderson, K9IUA
                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 10, 2013
                      I may be mistaken, but I seem to recall (from my days of working at the Army Corps of Engineers in the mid-1990s) these cable crossing being marked on the Upper Mississippi River navigation charts back before the current versions. Unfortunately I do not have access to these previous charts any longer to verify my memory, and the online sources today are all present charts that lack these extra markings.

                      I would love to know the old L4 crossing point for the Plano-Cascade leg.

                      Kevin Anderson
                      Dubuque, Iowa

                      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Ken Bowles <ken.dl5bk@...> wrote:

                      > The Lillyville-Hillsboro route (overlaid w/fiber) seems to go across the
                      > Mississippi in Peverly MO. It seems to go from Highway 61 East along
                      > railroad and Riverside Drive to the Mississippi River past Dow Chemical
                      > Company. A marker can be seen on the North Side of the plant next to the
                      > railroad and the drive. I've never tried to drive back behind Dow to
                      > investigate.
                      >
                      > Ken in Union MO
                      >

                      > On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 12:16 PM, David <wb8foz@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > **
                      > >

                      > > So there's been some discussion about river crossings.
                      > >
                      > > Do we know locations of any of the Mississippi river crossing? I gather
                      > > there are 2 per route, with some distance between them. (How far?)
                      > >
                      > > A friend in St Louis likes to take pictures of the river, and if I could
                      > > get a location, she'd look for line markers.
                      > >
                      > > It looks like the Lillyville-Hillsburo line line crosses somewhere near
                      > > STL, but the only map I found was nationwide and far too poor a resolution
                      > > to tell much.
                      > >
                      > > Given the river there is less than a mile wide, I'd assume they just put a
                      > > repeater vault near each landfall. How deep were the cables trenched in
                      > > the
                      > > bottom? And how did they handle making the splices?
                      > >
                      > > And are their fiber successors trenched, or run along fixed bridges?

                    • james kester
                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 10, 2013
                        You are not mistaken, they're all marked.

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 10, 2013
                          On 4/10/13 3:20 AM, Blake Bowers wrote:

                          > I posted a listing of the huts at one point last year I think. I don't
                          > believe they were real worried about putting a hut or vault on each
                          > side, they just kept on trucking.

                          My searching-fu is weak today & I'm not finding that message....
                        • Kevin Anderson, K9IUA
                          Message 12 of 27 , Apr 10, 2013
                            Okay, current Upper Mississippi River charts from the Navigation Information Center indicate two protected cable or pipeline crossings for my area of interest:

                            Chart 63 <http://www2.mvr.usace.army.mil/NIC2/Documents/MissRiver2011/CHART_63.pdf> covering Bellevue, Iowa, showing a crossing about 1/2 mile or so above Lock and Dam 12, at the north end of town.

                            Chart 67 <http://www2.mvr.usace.army.mil/NIC2/Documents/MissRiver2011/CHART_67.pdf> covering Savanna, Illinois, showing a crossing right smack dab in the middle of town.

                            Neither of these strike me as particularly likely for the L4 Plano-Cascade crossing (with the possible exception of Bellevue), just given how close they are to or amongst built-up areas. I would have thought L-L would have avoided built areas when laying the coaxial cable.

                            I haven't looked at the charts down near St. Louis for the other crossing that you have been discussing, although someone else could using the same source.

                            Kevin Anderson

                            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, james kester <radioconstco@...> wrote:

                            > You are not mistaken, they're all marked.
                            >

                            > ________________________________

                          • Blake Bowers
                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 10, 2013
                              Yeah, sort of what I found. It sucks to be old.

                              Anyways, here It is, photos of the location guide for the Lilllyville -
                              Hillsboro L5 cable route, Mississippi River - Hillsboro section, as well as
                              the added bonus of other various sites from STL south.

                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/ashleyandcompany/8639045236/in/photostream

                              _____

                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 10, 2013
                                Neat! Thanks!

                                Ken

                                On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 5:41 PM, Blake Bowers <bbowerslists@...>wrote:

                                > **
                                >

                                > Yeah, sort of what I found. It sucks to be old.
                                >
                                > Anyways, here It is, photos of the location guide for the Lilllyville -
                                > Hillsboro L5 cable route, Mississippi River - Hillsboro section, as well as
                                > the added bonus of other various sites from STL south.
                                >
                                > http://www.flickr.com/photos/ashleyandcompany/8639045236/in/photostream
                                >

                                > _____

                              • ajbtelecom
                                Message 15 of 27 , Apr 12, 2013
                                  --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Blake Bowers <bbowerslists@...> wrote:

                                  > Yeah, sort of what I found. It sucks to be old.
                                  ******************

                                  Hi Blake, I feel the same way a lot of days, but my new policy is to cash in on the main dividend of age, i.e. wisdom. To wit:

                                  A young bull and an old bull are sitting on hilltop, looking down on a valley that is filled with hot female cows. The young bull says, "I think we should run down there as fast as we can, and do it with one of those cows."

                                  The old bull says, "Yeah, we could do that. Or, we could take our time and walk down there, and do it with all of them."

                                  Yes, it is an old joke. What do you expect from an old guy?

                                  Keep the faith,
                                  Jim Bennett
                                  ===================================
                                  Speaking from etc. etc.
                                • Blake Bowers
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 12, 2013
                                    Lol. I figure as long as I know what "IT" is, I am doing ok.!

                                    _____

                                    > Yeah, sort of what I found. It sucks to be old.
                                    ******************

                                    Hi Blake, I feel the same way a lot of days, but my new policy is to cash in
                                    on the main dividend of age, i.e. wisdom. To wit:

                                    A young bull and an old bull are sitting on hilltop, looking down on a
                                    valley that is filled with hot female cows. The young bull says, "I think we
                                    should run down there as fast as we can, and do it with one of those cows."

                                    The old bull says, "Yeah, we could do that. Or, we could take our time and
                                    walk down there, and do it with all of them."

                                    Yes, it is an old joke. What do you expect from an old guy?

                                    Keep the faith,
                                    Jim Bennett
                                  • Tom
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Apr 12, 2013
                                      You're only OLD when you walk around an old AT&T Microwave Tower and hesitate to at least try all the doors and see if any were left ajar or even unlocked, OR when you cave into your spouses warnings that you're being watched or that you "could be arrested."

                                      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "ajbtelecom" <ajbtelecom@...> wrote:

                                      > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Blake Bowers <bbowerslists@> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > Yeah, sort of what I found. It sucks to be old.
                                      > ******************
                                      >
                                      > Hi Blake, I feel the same way a lot of days, but my new policy is to cash in on the main dividend of age, i.e. wisdom. To wit:
                                      >
                                      > A young bull and an old bull are sitting on hilltop, looking down on a valley that is filled with hot female cows. The young bull says, "I think we should run down there as fast as we can, and do it with one of those cows."
                                      >
                                      > The old bull says, "Yeah, we could do that. Or, we could take our time and walk down there, and do it with all of them."
                                      >
                                      > Yes, it is an old joke. What do you expect from an old guy?
                                      >
                                      > Keep the faith,
                                      > Jim Bennett
                                      > ===================================
                                      > Speaking from etc. etc.

                                    • Fred
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Apr 18, 2013
                                        There were two L-5 river crossings in the Mississippi river, they were
                                        trenched in about 1/4 mile apart. East side joined at man hole 63, west
                                        side at mam hole 64 on the Dow Chemical Co. property.
                                        Fred Wall Retired Hillsboro

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Apr 19, 2013
                                          The current Mississippi River navigation charts show only one protected cable/pipeline crossing due east of Pevely, just above river mile 153:
                                          <http://www2.mvr.usace.army.mil/NIC2/Documents/MissRiver2011/CHART_133.pdf>

                                          Kevin Anderson

                                          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Fred <fcwall@...> wrote:

                                          > There were two L-5 river crossings in the Mississippi river, they were
                                          > trenched in about 1/4 mile apart. East side joined at man hole 63, west
                                          > side at mam hole 64 on the Dow Chemical Co. property.
                                          > Fred Wall Retired Hillsboro

                                        • Mike Cowen
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Apr 19, 2013
                                            The stated "about 1/4 mile apart" spacing could
                                            just fit within the shaded area, so no guarantee
                                            there aren't really 2 crossings there. Difficult
                                            to prove without current eyes on ground, and one side is within Dow Chemical...

                                            Mike

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Apr 19, 2013
                                              On 4/19/13 10:44 AM, Kevin Anderson, K9IUA wrote:

                                              > The current Mississippi River navigation charts show only one protected
                                              > cable/pipeline crossing due east of Pevely, just above river mile 153:
                                              > <http://www2.mvr.usace.army.mil/NIC2/Documents/MissRiver2011/CHART_133.pdf>

                                              That URL just hangs for me.
                                            • Kevin Anderson, K9IUA
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Apr 20, 2013
                                                Don't know, David, but I've been able to access the map (a PDF document) just fine from three different computers through at least two ISPs.
                                                Kevin Anderson

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Apr 20, 2013
                                                  On 4/20/13 1:11 PM, Kevin Anderson, K9IUA wrote:

                                                  > Don't know, David, but I've been able to access the map (a PDF document)
                                                  > just fine from three different computers through at least two ISPs.

                                                  Today it is fine. I suspect server indigestion.
                                                • Scott Hall
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Apr 21, 2013
                                                    Using Chrome I experience the same hang but wget retrieves it just fine.

                                                  • Fred
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , May 3 11:25 AM
                                                      The old Chain of Rock Bridge, carried the Chicago - St Louis L-1 6
                                                      tube coax cable with man hole access to the attachments on the side of
                                                      the bridge.
                                                      F red Wall

                                                      On 4/9/2013 1:07 PM, Thomas Grant wrote:
                                                      > Go visit the old Chain of Rocks bridge. It carried US Route 66 over the
                                                      > Mississippi. Today it is a walk path across the river. There are "Bell
                                                      > System" manhole covers in the bridge deck at regular intervals.
                                                      >

                                                      > On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 12:16 PM, David <wb8foz@...> wrote:
                                                      >
                                                      >> **
                                                      >>

                                                      >> So there's been some discussion about river crossings.
                                                      >>
                                                      >> Do we know locations of any of the Mississippi river crossing? I gather
                                                      >> there are 2 per route, with some distance between them. (How far?)
                                                      >>
                                                      >> A friend in St Louis likes to take pictures of the river, and if I could
                                                      >> get a location, she'd look for line markers.
                                                      >>
                                                      >> It looks like the Lillyville-Hillsburo line line crosses somewhere near
                                                      >> STL, but the only map I found was nationwide and far too poor a resolution
                                                      >> to tell much.
                                                      >>
                                                      >> Given the river there is less than a mile wide, I'd assume they just put a
                                                      >> repeater vault near each landfall. How deep were the cables trenched in
                                                      >> the
                                                      >> bottom? And how did they handle making the splices?
                                                      >>
                                                      >> And are their fiber successors trenched, or run along fixed bridges?

                                                    • farrel_becker
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , May 5 7:07 AM
                                                        A photo of a manhole on the Illinois side:

                                                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/dustinholmes/5129651268/in/set-72157626182882107/

                                                        Looking at the bridge in Bing bird's eye, it looks like there are manholes spaced all across the bridge. Was that the case or just at the ends?

                                                        Farrel

                                                        Message 27 of 27 , May 5 8:33 AM
                                                          All across the bridge at regular intervals.