NECPA Trivia

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 7, 2013
      It seems a total of 6 were planned:

      Snippet from P63 of

      www.dod.gov/pubs/foi/logistics_material_readiness/acq_bud_fin/148.pdf

      "National command ships

      We now have in the fleet one cruiser type converted to a command ship - the NORTHAMPTON. This ship, which can serve as an alternate command post, provides a capability essential in a nuclear war environment.

      Because of the urgent need for this type of capability,
      we are reprogramming FY 1962 funds to start the conversion of one mothballed CVL hull to a command ship in place of the major communications relay ship (AGMR) in the 1962 program.

      The AGMR is included in the 1963 budget along with a second command ship conversion. The first command ship conversion will be ready about the end of fiscal year 1963,and the second about a year later. For the 1964-67 period we have tentatively programmed the construction of one new command ship in each year, providing a total of 6 in the fleet by the end of fiscal year 1970."
    • Nick England
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 9, 2013
        Interesting info - Here's my understanding so far-
        Northampton laid down as CA-125, but converted to CLC-1 then CC-1
        Wright CVL-49 diverted from planned AGMR to become CC-2
        Gilbert Islands CVE-107 converted to Annapolis AGMR-1
        Saipan CVL-48 converted to Arlington CC-3 (briefly), then Arlington AGMR-2
        Hawaii CB-3 considered for conversion to CC but scrapped

        (NB: Not to be confused with the 1920's CC-1 through CC-6 battle cruisers)

        cheers,
        Nick
        http://www.navy-radio.com/ships/comm.htm