RE: [coldwarcomms] Recent N Korea comms

  • T&K Christensen
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 4, 2013
      GHFS FDM (Force Direction Messages) are now running 30 and 34 characters. A
      change from many years of 22 and 26 characters. This change seems to have
      taken place with the latest code change. Also hearing more airborne command
      center traffic... could be NOAC, LookingGlass or other TACAMO airborne CP
      traffic.

      When you hear something in the clear like "Weapons are authorized" it is
      intentional for the enemy to intercept as part of the high stakes game of
      international politics.

      Tim

      _____

      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 5, 2013
        PJ, which frequencies have you been hearing these on? Whenever I try to hear these, I'm either listening on the wrong frequencies or not at the right time. (It probably doesn't help that I am in the central U.S.)

        Kevin Anderson

        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Pj <packy41@...> wrote:

        > I'm sure some of you still actively monitor the GHFS system but I recently received reports from two friends that last night there was an influx of Skyking messages and one or two stating "weapons are authorized". I believe one of them has a recording of that and awaiting a copy of it.
        >
        > Sent from my iPhone

      • T&K Christensen
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 5, 2013
          HF-GCS "High Frequency - Global Comm System" (the latest name for what
          was once HFGS, and SAC Giant Talk).

          4724 KHz Nights
          6739 KHz Nights
          8992 KHz 24/7
          11175 KHz 24/7
          13200 KHz Days
          15016 KHz Days

          Best bet is 8992 KHz till mid day, then 15016 KHz till evening, then drop
          down to 4724 KHz in the dark.

          You can always use WWV at 5000 KHz, 10000 KHz and 15000 KHz to guage what is
          working.
          Andrews, Offutt and McClellan are what you would hear most in the middle of
          country.

          They do have a rotating schedule as to when each station uses "night" or
          "day" frequencies. You'll have to listen to get used to that.

          Contrary to popular opinion, most of what you would hear is NOT EAMs
          (Emergency Action Messages), but rather FDMs (Force Direction Messages) and
          the "SkyKing" messages (a.k.a. Foxtrot messages) are cross authentication
          messages between NCA capable command platforms. The only time you would
          hear an EAM is a change in DEFCON, LERTCON or an EWO message. In the last 20
          years, I know of only two DEFCON changes that have occured. The lowering of
          DEFCON at the end of the ColdWar was done in the clear for intentional
          purposes. There are images of that message out on the web.

          If you get lucky enought to overhear an exercise, you might hear some
          exercise EAM messages for the Triad. But how you will tell the difference
          with all the codes???

          Tim

        • Pj
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 5, 2013
            It was heard on 11175usb

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Apr 5, 2013, at 6:47 AM, "Kevin Anderson, K9IUA" <k9iua@...> wrote:

            > PJ, which frequencies have you been hearing these on? Whenever I try to hear these, I'm either listening on the wrong frequencies or not at the right time. (It probably doesn't help that I am in the central U.S.)
            >
            > Kevin Anderson
            >
            > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Pj <packy41@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> I'm sure some of you still actively monitor the GHFS system but I recently received reports from two friends that last night there was an influx of Skyking messages and one or two stating "weapons are authorized". I believe one of them has a recording of that and awaiting a copy of it.
            >>
            >> Sent from my iPhone

          • Box SixteenHundred
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 5, 2013
              I do not know about PJ but I have been monitoring 8992 kHz USB and 11175 kHz USB as
              there has been increased activity.

              Lots of EAMs and SKYKING messages along with other incidental comms.

              73 - Bill KA8VIT

              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 5, 2013
                I guess the attachments didn't go through.

                Here are some direct links.

                http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130316_01.mp3

                http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130316_02.mp3

                http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130316_03.mp3

                http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130316_04.mp3

                http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130316_05.mp3

                http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130316_06.mp3

                http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130316_08.mp3

                http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130316_10.mp3

                73 - Bill KA8VIT

                > To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
                > From: box1600@...
                > Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 13:50:47 -0400
                > Subject: RE: [coldwarcomms] Re: Recent N Korea comms
                >
                > I do not know about PJ but I have been monitoring 8992 kHz USB and 11175 kHz USB as
                > there has been increased activity.
                >
                > Lots of EAMs and SKYKING messages along with other incidental comms.
                >
                > 73 - Bill KA8VIT

              • Box SixteenHundred
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 5, 2013
                  Sorry !

                  Fat-fingered my own links. Am at work and was rushing.

                  Here are the corrected ones.

                  http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130315_01.mp3

                  http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130315_02.mp3

                  http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130315_03.mp3

                  http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130315_04.mp3

                  http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130315_05.mp3

                  http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130315_06.mp3

                  From: box1600@...
                  To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
                  Subject: RE: [coldwarcomms] Re: Recent N Korea comms
                  Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 14:00:45 -0400

                  I guess the attachments didn't go through.

                  Here are some direct links.

                  http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130316_01.mp3

                  http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130316_02.mp3

                  http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130316_03.mp3

                  http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130316_04.mp3

                  http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130316_05.mp3

                  http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130316_06.mp3

                  http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130316_08.mp3

                  http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130316_10.mp3

                  73 - Bill KA8VIT

                  > To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: box1600@...
                  > Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 13:50:47 -0400
                  > Subject: RE: [coldwarcomms] Re: Recent N Korea comms
                  >
                  > I do not know about PJ but I have been monitoring 8992 kHz USB and 11175 kHz USB as
                  > there has been increased activity.
                  >
                  > Lots of EAMs and SKYKING messages along with other incidental comms.
                  >
                  > 73 - Bill KA8VIT

                • Box SixteenHundred
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 5, 2013