Re: Plum Island Comms Facilities

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 4, 2013
      Joe - Yes, the "bubble checks" of radar stations goes way back. I also saw bubble checks at Mt Hebo AFS. OR and the plane was an F-89 interceptor a/c that flew between two of our radomes. We were also flown over by a flight of three B-52 bombers about 500 feet above us that came in over the Pacific and then pulled up to just under 4000 feet for the overflight. Mt Hebo AFS was 5 air miles from the Pacific and 3154 feet above sea level.

      Mt Hebo AFS was one of many CONUS radar stations operated and maintained by the Air Force during the Cold War. There are photos and documents on AF Radar Stations at www.radomes.org/museum/ . There is a picture of a simulated bubble check at this web site and "The Peacekeepers" book about these radar stations is available at www.afrmaonline.org/ and includes another simulated photo of a "bubble check" at Mt Hebo AFS on the front cover.

      The radomes used by the AF were used to protect the radar antenna from adverse weather including high winds and snow. The radomes were either rigid or inflatable and some were huge. At Mt Hebo AFS the largest was a rigid dome about 140 feet in diameter and 100 feet high. It was installed on an FPS-24 search radar tower that itself was 85 feet tall. This tower and radome were easily seen on the horizon and from 50 miles at sea.

      Steve Weatherly
      689th Radar Squadron 65-67
      Mt Hebo AFS, OR
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 4, 2013
        Here is an anecdote from a radar vets group:

        > most of the radars at Mt. Hebo AFS, Oregon were covered by
        > inflatable radomes. When I arrived in Feb 1960, the search (AN/MPS-
        > 11) and both height finders (AN/FPS-6 and -6A) had inflatable
        > radomes. When the AN/FPS-26 height-finder was installed, it, too,
        > had an inflatable radome, at which time there were 4 of them on
        > site. The AN/FPS-6 was subsequently removed (replaced by the AN/FPS-
        > 26) and the number was back to 3. After the AN/FPS-24 was
        > commissioned as the search, the AN/MPS-11 was removed and the
        > inflatable radome count was down to 2. When the AN/FPS-6A was
        > changed to be an AN/FPS-90, the radome was changed, but was still an
        > inflatable one, so the count remained 2. The AN/FPS-24 had 3
        > attempts at being covered by a rigid radome (first one destroyed by
        > winds before complete--1962; second one completed in 1963 and
        > survived about a year before being hit by lightning and destroyed by
        > winds; the third one was a different construction and lasted several
        > years before it, too, was destroyed by wind forces) but never had an
        > inflatable one (I doubt that one that big was possible--too much
        > flexion). After the demise of the 3rd rigid radome on the AN/FPS-24,
        > that radar was removed and replaced in situ by an AN/FPS-27, and it
        > was covered by an inflatable radome (I think--I wasn't there and
        > never saw it) which would have given the site 3 inflatables again."

        A more detailed article about the gear & severe weather there is , "Recollections of the AN/FPS-24 Radar at Mt Hebo AFS",on the radomes.org website.

        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <lweatherly4@...> wrote:

        > Joe - Yes, the "bubble checks" of radar stations goes way back. I also saw bubble checks at Mt Hebo AFS. OR and the plane was an F-89 interceptor a/c that flew between two of our radomes. We were also flown over by a flight of three B-52 bombers about 500 feet above us that came in over the Pacific and then pulled up to just under 4000 feet for the overflight. Mt Hebo AFS was 5 air miles from the Pacific and 3154 feet above sea level.
        >
        > Mt Hebo AFS was one of many CONUS radar stations operated and maintained by the Air Force during the Cold War. There are photos and documents on AF Radar Stations at www.radomes.org/museum/ . There is a picture of a simulated bubble check at this web site and "The Peacekeepers" book about these radar stations is available at www.afrmaonline.org/ and includes another simulated photo of a "bubble check" at Mt Hebo AFS on the front cover.
        >
        > The radomes used by the AF were used to protect the radar antenna from adverse weather including high winds and snow. The radomes were either rigid or inflatable and some were huge. At Mt Hebo AFS the largest was a rigid dome about 140 feet in diameter and 100 feet high. It was installed on an FPS-24 search radar tower that itself was 85 feet tall. This tower and radome were easily seen on the horizon and from 50 miles at sea.
        >
        > Steve Weatherly
        > 689th Radar Squadron 65-67
        > Mt Hebo AFS, OR

      • Pj
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 4, 2013
          I'm sure some of you still actively monitor the GHFS system but I recently received reports from two friends that last night there was an influx of Skyking messages and one or two stating "weapons are authorized". I believe one of them has a recording of that and awaiting a copy of it.

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Apr 4, 2013, at 10:09 AM, "OZOB99" <ozob99@...> wrote:

> [...]
          >>
          >> The radomes used by the AF were used to protect the radar antenna from adverse weather including high winds and snow. The radomes were either rigid or inflatable and some were huge. At Mt Hebo AFS the largest was a rigid dome about 140 feet in diameter and 100 feet high. It was installed on an FPS-24 search radar tower that itself was 85 feet tall. This tower and radome were easily seen on the horizon and from 50 miles at sea.

        • T&K Christensen
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 4, 2013
            GHFS FDM (Force Direction Messages) are now running 30 and 34 characters. A
            change from many years of 22 and 26 characters. This change seems to have
            taken place with the latest code change. Also hearing more airborne command
            center traffic... could be NOAC, LookingGlass or other TACAMO airborne CP
            traffic.

            When you hear something in the clear like "Weapons are authorized" it is
            intentional for the enemy to intercept as part of the high stakes game of
            international politics.

            Tim

            _____

            <mailto:coldwarcomms%40yahoogroups.com> , "Steve" <lweatherly4@...> wrote:

            >> Joe - Yes, the "bubble checks" of radar stations goes way back. I also
            saw bubble checks at Mt Hebo AFS. OR and the plane was an F-89 interceptor
            a/c that flew between two of our radomes. We were also flown over by a
            flight of three B-52 bombers about 500 feet above us that came in over the
            Pacific and then pulled up to just under 4000 feet for the overflight. Mt
            Hebo AFS was 5 air miles from the Pacific and 3154 feet above sea level.

            >> Mt Hebo AFS was one of many CONUS radar stations operated and maintained
            by the Air Force during the Cold War. There are photos and documents on AF
            Radar Stations at www.radomes.org/museum/ . There is a picture of a
            simulated bubble check at this web site and "The Peacekeepers" book about
            these radar stations is available at www.afrmaonline.org/ and includes
            another simulated photo of a "bubble check" at Mt Hebo AFS on the front
            cover.

            >> The radomes used by the AF were used to protect the radar antenna from
            adverse weather including high winds and snow. The radomes were either rigid
            or inflatable and some were huge. At Mt Hebo AFS the largest was a rigid
            dome about 140 feet in diameter and 100 feet high. It was installed on an
            FPS-24 search radar tower that itself was 85 feet tall. This tower and
            radome were easily seen on the horizon and from 50 miles at sea.

            >> Steve Weatherly
            >> 689th Radar Squadron 65-67
            >> Mt Hebo AFS, OR

          • Kevin Anderson, K9IUA
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 5, 2013
              PJ, which frequencies have you been hearing these on? Whenever I try to hear these, I'm either listening on the wrong frequencies or not at the right time. (It probably doesn't help that I am in the central U.S.)

              Kevin Anderson

              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Pj <packy41@...> wrote:

              > I'm sure some of you still actively monitor the GHFS system but I recently received reports from two friends that last night there was an influx of Skyking messages and one or two stating "weapons are authorized". I believe one of them has a recording of that and awaiting a copy of it.
              >
              > Sent from my iPhone

            • T&K Christensen
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 5, 2013
                HF-GCS "High Frequency - Global Comm System" (the latest name for what
                was once HFGS, and SAC Giant Talk).

                4724 KHz Nights
                6739 KHz Nights
                8992 KHz 24/7
                11175 KHz 24/7
                13200 KHz Days
                15016 KHz Days

                Best bet is 8992 KHz till mid day, then 15016 KHz till evening, then drop
                down to 4724 KHz in the dark.

                You can always use WWV at 5000 KHz, 10000 KHz and 15000 KHz to guage what is
                working.
                Andrews, Offutt and McClellan are what you would hear most in the middle of
                country.

                They do have a rotating schedule as to when each station uses "night" or
                "day" frequencies. You'll have to listen to get used to that.

                Contrary to popular opinion, most of what you would hear is NOT EAMs
                (Emergency Action Messages), but rather FDMs (Force Direction Messages) and
                the "SkyKing" messages (a.k.a. Foxtrot messages) are cross authentication
                messages between NCA capable command platforms. The only time you would
                hear an EAM is a change in DEFCON, LERTCON or an EWO message. In the last 20
                years, I know of only two DEFCON changes that have occured. The lowering of
                DEFCON at the end of the ColdWar was done in the clear for intentional
                purposes. There are images of that message out on the web.

                If you get lucky enought to overhear an exercise, you might hear some
                exercise EAM messages for the Triad. But how you will tell the difference
                with all the codes???

                Tim

              • Pj
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 5, 2013
                  It was heard on 11175usb

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On Apr 5, 2013, at 6:47 AM, "Kevin Anderson, K9IUA" <k9iua@...> wrote:

                  > PJ, which frequencies have you been hearing these on? Whenever I try to hear these, I'm either listening on the wrong frequencies or not at the right time. (It probably doesn't help that I am in the central U.S.)
                  >
                  > Kevin Anderson
                  >
                  > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Pj <packy41@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> I'm sure some of you still actively monitor the GHFS system but I recently received reports from two friends that last night there was an influx of Skyking messages and one or two stating "weapons are authorized". I believe one of them has a recording of that and awaiting a copy of it.
                  >>
                  >> Sent from my iPhone

                • Box SixteenHundred
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 5, 2013
                    I do not know about PJ but I have been monitoring 8992 kHz USB and 11175 kHz USB as
                    there has been increased activity.

                    Lots of EAMs and SKYKING messages along with other incidental comms.

                    73 - Bill KA8VIT

                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 5, 2013
                      I guess the attachments didn't go through.

                      Here are some direct links.

                      http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130316_01.mp3

                      http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130316_02.mp3

                      http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130316_03.mp3

                      http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130316_04.mp3

                      http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130316_05.mp3

                      http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130316_06.mp3

                      http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130316_08.mp3

                      http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130316_10.mp3

                      73 - Bill KA8VIT

                      > To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
                      > From: box1600@...
                      > Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 13:50:47 -0400
                      > Subject: RE: [coldwarcomms] Re: Recent N Korea comms
                      >
                      > I do not know about PJ but I have been monitoring 8992 kHz USB and 11175 kHz USB as
                      > there has been increased activity.
                      >
                      > Lots of EAMs and SKYKING messages along with other incidental comms.
                      >
                      > 73 - Bill KA8VIT

                    • Box SixteenHundred
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 5, 2013
                        Sorry !

                        Fat-fingered my own links. Am at work and was rushing.

                        Here are the corrected ones.

                        http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130315_01.mp3

                        http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130315_02.mp3

                        http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130315_03.mp3

                        http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130315_04.mp3

                        http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130315_05.mp3

                        http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130315_06.mp3

                        From: box1600@...
                        To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
                        Subject: RE: [coldwarcomms] Re: Recent N Korea comms
                        Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 14:00:45 -0400

                        I guess the attachments didn't go through.

                        Here are some direct links.

                        http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130316_01.mp3

                        http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130316_02.mp3

                        http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130316_03.mp3

                        http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130316_04.mp3

                        http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130316_05.mp3

                        http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130316_06.mp3

                        http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130316_08.mp3

                        http://ka8vit.com/special/8992_20130316_10.mp3

                        73 - Bill KA8VIT

                        > To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
                        > From: box1600@...
                        > Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 13:50:47 -0400
                        > Subject: RE: [coldwarcomms] Re: Recent N Korea comms
                        >
                        > I do not know about PJ but I have been monitoring 8992 kHz USB and 11175 kHz USB as
                        > there has been increased activity.
                        >
                        > Lots of EAMs and SKYKING messages along with other incidental comms.
                        >
                        > 73 - Bill KA8VIT

                      • Box SixteenHundred
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 5, 2013