Re: [coldwarcomms] Re: L5 [NE Ohio]

    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 1, 2013
      On 4/2/13 12:15 AM, cpe122 wrote:
      > Check the Indiana (L-5) properties...

      Look like Indiana is immune to GIS, at least useful ones.

      L_L still owns Butler Power Main, but can't see an ownership history.

      Palmer, no idea. Will phone.
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 2, 2013
        On 4/2/13 12:15 AM, cpe122 wrote:
        > Check the Indiana (L-5) properties...

        AT&T bought the Butler Power Feed Underground on/before 5/27/1969
        from Thomas H Nelson, 3.58 acres, parcel 04-03-34-400-005

        Tax address is 900 Chestnut St. St Louis; I guess Ms. Cheeks in Atlanta is
        above-ground only. No idea what the taxes are.

        Thanks to the DeKalb county auditor and recorder for this.

        So two years after deploying L4, and well before field-testing L5; they
        already were buying property for it?!?
      • Paul Zawada
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 3, 2013
          Lake County has an online GIS system and Palmer is there:

          http://lakein.mygisonline.com/?pin=45-17-21-151-003.000-047

          T still owns Palmer. There's no transfer date listed on the assessor's web
          site, but it indicates that improvements started in 1973.

          --zawada

          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 3, 2013
            On 4/3/13 1:10 PM, Paul Zawada wrote:

            > Lake County has an online GIS system and Palmer is there:
            >
            > http://lakein.mygisonline.com/?pin=45-17-21-151-003.000-047
            >
            > T still owns Palmer. There's no transfer date listed on the assessor's web
            > site, but it indicates that improvements started in 1973.

            I had to look to see that Palmer is somewhere south. The other Indiana
            station on the Whitehouse to Plano L is Bremen, and that's a L4 main, so
            construction date will be earlier anyhow.

            But with the Hiram and Butler dates we now know, I resume my incredulity
            that they seemingly built it as L4; and before the dirt had even settled,
            went back to upgrade it to L5.
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 4, 2013
              Waynesburg:

              (40.704444, -81.243889)

              <http://www.auditor.co.stark.oh.us/PropertySearch/RecordCard.aspx?ParcelID=6400041>

              Waynsburg was a Power Main Station on the initial Lillyville->Hillsburo L5.
              It's southeast of Canton, 75m west of Lillysville.

              I note:

              a) It's only 5000 ft^2.

              b) AT&T sold it in 2010, for $9,000.
              Yes, nine grand.

              c) The building was assessed for $166,610, but the new owners got it
              reassessed for $22,760.

              d) Built in 1971.

              The next station is Danville; a switching main. It was built for L5, unlike
              Hiram. Note it is not a junction, AFAIK.

              40.4780555555556, -82.2375

              <http://www.knoxcountyauditor.org/Data.aspx?ParcelID=37-00786.000>

              a) Not sure how many square feet. (Basements are often not counted...)

              b) AT&T sold it to American Tower in 2000 for $62K.

              c) American Tower later sold it for FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS....

              Next is Hillard:

              40.05573, -83.165222

              <http://www.franklincountyoh.metacama.com/do/selectDisplay?select=SUMMARY&curpid=27200033600>

              a) Property records show no sign of any building but "improvements" shows a
              24x24 ft garage.

              b) Land bought by AT&T of Ohio in 1970 for $850. {?!}

              c) AT&T sold in 1995 for $150K

              Xenia:

              Major hub, spurs to Toledo & Cincinnati.

              39.5780555555556, -83.8411111111111

              <http://gis.co.greene.oh.us/gismap/prc.asp?pid1=C05000100070007900>

              a) Bought in 1970, still owned by "OHIO TELEPHONE & TELEG CO"

              b) Built in 1972, 19.2K ft^2, $1,004,360

              c) Tax bills to Bedminster.
            • cpe122
              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 4, 2013
                --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, David <wb8foz@...> wrote:

                > On 4/2/13 12:15 AM, cpe122 wrote:
                > > Check the Indiana (L-5) properties...
                >
                > AT&T bought the Butler Power Feed Underground on/before 5/27/1969
                > from Thomas H Nelson, 3.58 acres, parcel 04-03-34-400-005
                >
                > Tax address is 900 Chestnut St. St Louis; I guess Ms. Cheeks in Atlanta is
                > above-ground only. No idea what the taxes are.
                >
                > Thanks to the DeKalb county auditor and recorder for this.
                >
                > So two years after deploying L4, and well before field-testing L5; they
                > already were buying property for it?!?

                It's common to option land in advance, 3+? years seems a tad excessive though(!). Great work.

                /cpe
              • Blake Bowers
                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 4, 2013
                  I have not seen mentioned on the IN sites, and maybe I just missed it, the
                  Shelburn IN site, now being owned by the same folks who own TerraVivos - and
                  is marketed by Terravivos.

                  http://www.terravivos.com/secure/indiana.htm

                  If they do manage to fit 80 people in this small power feed station, my hat
                  is off to them, and I hope they have a LOT of deodorant. LOTS.

                  This is smaller than power feed sites like Paris MO, Polo MO, and the ones
                  in Kansas. One large room, with the smaller rooms along it for the
                  mechanical. One smaller generator.

                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/ashleyandcompany/4230716820/in/set-721576229812
                  81297/

                  Are my pictures of the site.

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 5, 2013
                    On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 6:38 PM, David <wb8foz@...> wrote:

                    > On 4/1/13 5:55 PM, cpe122 wrote:
                    >
                    > While I'm pretty sure
                    > > LL ran glass to Akron, it wouldn't be ariel.
                    >
                    > Or even aerial....

                    Believe it or not, I know of one AT&T long haul fiber route that is aerial,
                    running through Huntington, WV and Ashland, KY, marked with AT&T Death Star
                    tags to boot. The pre-SBC merger logo and the fact it runs through
                    Frontier (ex-Verizon, ex-GTE) territory definitely seems to indicate that
                    it's long haul, though I don't know if goes back to "Long Lines" days,
                    depending on when you believe that era truly ended. FWIW, the route does
                    NOT show up on Blake's 1993 TMRS maps, so it was probably put in some time
                    in the 1990s or early 2000s.

                    It's funny because it appears the person who designed the tags did a little
                    cut and paste from the standard buried cable markers. There's a gap where
                    they deleted the warning that says "do not dig anywhere in this area" but
                    it still warns that "violators are subject to prosecution." Violators of
                    what? It also gives a phone number to call for location of the cable, like
                    you can't just look up on the pole and see it there.

                    --zawada

                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 5, 2013
                      FWIW Ashland was a LL location from the late 1950's, and a POP after Divestiture; IIRC it was an outside plant & microwave maintenance center. Huntington was a typical LL CO.