Re: [coldwarcomms] An interesting video I found,

  • Robert Getsla
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2013
      As a broadcast engineer, I can tell you what is in that video is the vertical tower and the tower base insulator of a high power AM radio station, probably 10 KW or more.  The sound you heard was an AM modulated RF arc between the metal of the tower and the conductive material in the stems and leaves of the plant.  The flames came from an RF arc between the conductive parts of the plant and the metal of the tower, first drying and then setting fire to the leaves and stems.

      Actually, what you saw and heard there is relatively harmless (unless you tried to touch that metal tower yourself) because the RF present is a high enough frequency to be essentially skin effect current only, while also having relatively long wavelength, so the people standing near the tower base do not absorb much of the RF present.  My guess is this station is somewhere near 1 MHz.  A far more hazardous place to be would be for them to stand that close to an FM transmitting antenna running at 100 MHz with that transmitter power level.

      As for getting cancer by proximity to this antenna, the RF field from this antenna is a lot more like being close to a diathermy machine than it is like being close to an X-ray machine.  Many radio engineers have spent a lot of time near towers like this, and never experienced ill effects, just as long as they remembered to not try touching the metal of the antenna or the tower base impedance matching network with the transmitter running.

      Bob Getsla aka LinearBob    WA6WHT
      Transmitter engineer for KTSF-TV26 and KTSF-DT27, San Francisco, CA  (1 day per week)
      Analog, RF, and Network engineer for WattMinder, Sunnyvale, CA (the rest of the week)
      Linux evangelist
      Inventor

      ________________________________
      I can feel my eyeballs getting cancer just watching it.

    • piggypoop1222
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2013
        This is exactly what I was hoping for, thanks a bunch for the informative post!

        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Robert Getsla <rgetsla@...> wrote:

        > As a broadcast engineer, I can tell you what is in that video is the vertical tower and the tower base insulator of a high power AM radio station, probably 10 KW or more.  The sound you heard was an AM modulated RF arc between the metal of the tower and the conductive material in the stems and leaves of the plant.  The flames came from an RF arc between the conductive parts of the plant and the metal of the tower, first drying and then setting fire to the leaves and stems.
        >
        > Actually, what you saw and heard there is relatively harmless (unless you tried to touch that metal tower yourself) because the RF present is a high enough frequency to be essentially skin effect current only, while also having relatively long wavelength, so the people standing near the tower base do not absorb much of the RF present.  My guess is this station is somewhere near 1 MHz.  A far more hazardous place to be would be for them to stand that close to an FM transmitting antenna running at 100 MHz with that transmitter power level.
        >
        > As for getting cancer by proximity to this antenna, the RF field from this antenna is a lot more like being close to a diathermy machine than it is like being close to an X-ray machine.  Many radio engineers have spent a lot of time near towers like this, and never experienced ill effects, just as long as they remembered to not try touching the metal of the antenna or the tower base impedance matching network with the transmitter running.
        >

        > Bob Getsla aka LinearBob    WA6WHT
        > Transmitter engineer for KTSF-TV26 and KTSF-DT27, San Francisco, CA  (1 day per week)
        > Analog, RF, and Network engineer for WattMinder, Sunnyvale, CA (the rest of the week)
        > Linux evangelist
        > Inventor
        >

        > ________________________________

      • Matthew McCleary
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 2, 2013
          I'd really like to check out this video, but the Air Force blocks youtu.be
          -- could you post the link on youtube.com please? Thanks.

          matthew

          --
          Matthew McCleary
          m@... - 575-517-0004
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 2, 2013
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADZiPOUfzns

            I'd really like to check out this video, but the Air Force blocks youtu.be
            -- could you post the link on youtube.com please? Thanks.

            matthew

            > http://youtu.be/ADZiPOUfzns
            > I can feel my eyeballs getting cancer just watching it.

            --
            Matthew McCleary
            m@... <mailto:m%40cverge.net> - 575-517-0004

          • Matthew McCleary
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2, 2013
              Thanks for the link.

              Those guys don't strike me as particularly bright. At least they were
              wearing gloves ...

              matthew

              > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADZiPOUfzns

              --
              Matthew McCleary
              m@... - 575-517-0004
            • Walt - WB2VSJ
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 2, 2013
                Alternative comical title could be - "The real reason the Russian woodpecker
                stopped transmitting"

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 2, 2013
                  "How Kids Smoke Weed these Days".