USS Northampton AN/SPS-2

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30 8:01 AM
      Revisiting the Northampton history for more on the tropo ,I found this trivia on the unusual radar antenna mounted where the tropo dish appeared later;AN/SPS-2,other than a few photos the only thing I could find were these two items:

      "Manufacturer: General Electric
      Type of Radar: Long range Height Finding Search Radar
      Power: 6.5 MW
      Beamwidth: 1.6 x 2.7 degree beamwidth
      Range Accuracy: 400 yards
      Target Detection 1: Heavy Bomber at High Altitude at 300 nm
      Target Detection 2: 1m2 Target at 165 nm
      IEEE Band: L Band (100 MHz)
      NATO Band: A Band

      NOTES: Only two were built. Installed on CC-1 USS Northampton and CLG-4 USS Little Rock."

      and

      "Accession Number : AD0610487

      Title : PRELIMINARY DESIGN OF THE AN/SPS-2 (XDQ) ANTENNA.

      Descriptive Note : Interim rept.,

      Corporate Author : NAVAL RESEARCH LAB WASHINGTON D C

      Personal Author(s) : Adams,R. J. ; Kelleher,K. S. ; Lundquist,C. R.

      Report Date : 04 FEB 1949

      Pagination or Media Count : 98

      Abstract : A report on antenna development for long-range search and height-finding radar systems is presented. One satisfactory X-band model of the AN/SPS-2 (XDQ) antenna was built and evaluated. It consists of a symmetrically-cut paraboloidal reflector of elliptical contour fed by an array of ordinary horns of limited aperture."

      (this book may be available in some libraries)

      Snippet from post #8847:

      "The Northampton was said to have the most advanced multi-mode radar
      in the 1950's as the CLC-1 Tactical Command ship;photos from 1954 on
      show the multi waveguide fed diamond shaped antenna which was no
      doubt the radar system described."

      I saw this radar from the deck of the Northampton in the late 1950's and it was quite impressive with those 5-6 wave guide feeds in front of the reflector; it was also described as the most powerful radar in the world at that time(6.5MW) in this document:

      http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a084225.pdf

      which covers some related topics: experimental tropo from Wallaps Island VA to Dam Neck VA, and Wallops to Lewes DE; the first ship to ship tropo links,and the first ship to shore tropo, USS Thuban (1955).

      Perhaps our Navy guru Nick(navy-radio.com)has more info on the SPS-2?