Re: HF Spiral Antenna at Cheltenham Md

  • wftroskey
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 6, 2013
      There is also one just like it at Andrews AFB, nestled among the trees out on the golf course:

      <http://goo.gl/maps/qvKil>

      The tech specs were a pretty interesting read.

      Bill

      > Anyone have a photo or info on this?;I've only found this online, no contents of the paper anywhere:
      >

      > Accession Number : AD0293991
      >
      > Title : THE HIGH-FREQUENCY SPIRAL ANTENNA AT THE NAVAL RADIO STATION, CHELTENHAM, MARYLAND
      >
      > Corporate Author : NAVAL RESEARCH LAB WASHINGTON D C
      >
      > Personal Author(s) : ROYCE,R.K.
      >
      > Report Date : 11 DEC 1962
      >
      > Pagination or Media Count : 16
      >
      > Descriptors : *ANTENNAS, ANTENNA RADIATION PATTERNS, ATTENUATION, ERRORS, HIGH FREQUENCY, MEASUREMENT, PROPAGATION, SIGNAL TO NOISE RATIO, SPIRAL ANTENNAS, TEST EQUIPMENT, TEST METHODS.

    • wftroskey
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 6, 2013
        For some reason, that didn't work. Let's try this one:

        <https://maps.google.com/maps?q=38.796327,-76.88708&num=1&t=h&z=19>

        Bill

        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "wftroskey" <wftroskey@...> wrote:

        > There is also one just like it at Andrews AFB, nestled among the trees out on the golf course:
        >
        > <http://goo.gl/maps/qvKil>
        >
        > The tech specs were a pretty interesting read.
        >

        > Bill
        >

        > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "OZOB99" <ozob99@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Anyone have a photo or info on this?;I've only found this online, no contents of the paper anywhere:
        > >

        > > Accession Number : AD0293991
        > >
        > > Title : THE HIGH-FREQUENCY SPIRAL ANTENNA AT THE NAVAL RADIO STATION, CHELTENHAM, MARYLAND
        > >
        > > Corporate Author : NAVAL RESEARCH LAB WASHINGTON D C
        > >
        > > Personal Author(s) : ROYCE,R.K.
        > >
        > > Report Date : 11 DEC 1962
        > >
        > > Pagination or Media Count : 16
        > >
        > > Descriptors : *ANTENNAS, ANTENNA RADIATION PATTERNS, ATTENUATION, ERRORS, HIGH FREQUENCY, MEASUREMENT, PROPAGATION, SIGNAL TO NOISE RATIO, SPIRAL ANTENNAS, TEST EQUIPMENT, TEST METHODS.

      • John
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 7, 2013
          You can see some images of FEMA's Region One HF antenna systems in Maynard, MA here:
          http://coldwar-ct.com/FEMA_Regional_HQ_Maynard.html

          Not a spira-cone but pretty impressive. And like MEMA in Framingham they reportedly have some post attack "pop-up" vertical antennas out behind the bunker as well.

          John

          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, rojoha@... wrote:

          > There was a Spira- Cone at Mt. Weather up until a couple of years ago when it  was replaced by a Log Periodic that is in it's old location. The Spira- Cone was located at 39 3.678 N 53. 63 0 W. It can be seen in Google Earth if you use Mr. Peabody's  Wayback Machine slider function and have Sherman set it for 12 2002 and an Eye Alt of 5230 feet or so.  I saw it there in early 1998, and when I asked about it was told it was a all band, multi- frequency antenna. It caught my attention because it was after the bad ice storm but this looked like a big clothes line that lost out to a tornado, whereas all the other damage to the various towers was  the result of ice loading type bending and deformations.
          >

          > Post 9-11, MEMA (Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency ) got one from DOD Surplus/ FEMA but it has never been erected behind the bunker as planned  ( 47 17.806N 71 24.740W ). Probably still mint in the crates...

        • recon12000
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 7, 2013
              MEMAs 2 post attack pop ups are no longer operational, they died in the late 80's due to gear box failures and high cost of the repair parts. They are/were on the Route 9 side of the bunker, to the east of the 'MEMA' shrubs. The one to the west has had the 'newer' tower erected over it and the east one is still in the visible concrete pipe-septic tank look alike hole. All of the control boxes in the Comm Room for the pop up antennae have been removed and are just a memory.
                The youngsters ( not the comm troops ) running MEMA now have little use for keeping these types of items of the times that fostered this facility. Large amounts of the Cold War Era clutter that was still stashed in various areas of the bunker have been disposed of in the trash over the last ten years or so, and almost all of the original Bunker Dwellers who were there in the start or came in to the Bunker in the early 70's have retired, leaving these stashes of old, unopened, pristine boxes of CD posters, metal Fallout Shelter signs, manuals and publications unprotected and vulnerable. They are just taking up square footage that for years was ignored in an underground backwater of the past, but has now become a valuable bit of real estate for desks and people in an impressive new era of empire building. I been going down to the Bunker as part of a support agency since 1985 and the place has gone through many changes in layout, equipment, staffing and administrations, most for the better.
              The original folks were the post war 'can do' , mostly prior military service, personalities. The post 9-11 folks are mostly a more dignified, PC type of animal, better schooled but unaware of how fast this "gee whiz" technology they are used to can rapidly descend into an 'aw crap' state. The Faraday cage in the comm area has had all the HF gear removed, and unlike up until the early 2000s, the door is propped open instead of securely latched closed at all times, except for entry or exit. I saw this same attitude at the FEMA ROC 1 comm center where there are actual ramps,cables and things blocking the Faraday doors that would take hours to remove.  It will be a hard fall when it happens ...

            Regards, Ron