Red Oak, IA tower obituary

  • msttc68
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 27, 2013
      I'm surprised this event was missed 13 months ago.

      Flying around with Google Earth this weekend, I noted that the Red Oak Junction (Iowa) tower was gone. The building(s) are still there. I knew it was probably going to happen as I had serendipitously met the owner on site about October 2011. He said it cost too much to keep it going.

      Red Oak was a 5-way junction on the major Chicago, Red Oak, Dodge City, Amarillo, Albuquerque, LA route. Located at 40-54-55N; 95-14-15W (1.5 miles east of Coburg, IA). Earlier discussions on this site alluded that there was also a buried cable from Red Oak to Offutt AFB in Omaha, formerly SAC.

      The Red Oak Express newspaper has a sequence of 5 sequential pictures of it going south, literally, on January 20, 2012. (The third time I went to this URL, they wanted me to subscribe and didn't show the pictures which they are selling.)

      http://www.redoakexpress.com/content/tower-down

      I don't understand how they *safely* used a cutting torch on the south legs of this ~25-story structure. The north legs stayed attached to their foundations as it went over.

      Now I really feel old. It was an "old friend" that I drive by on my annual US 34 road trips between Northern Colorado and Eastern Iowa. Family once lived in Red Oak.

      I've got 4-5 nice pictures of Red Oak from the 2004-era and another from October 2011 with one of the lower space diversity horns nearly falling out over the top of its support ring. I'll try to post them this weekend.

      Jim
    • s82917
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 27, 2013
        Well, that's a shame. I know of two other towers that were toppled and scrapped, one was at Odell, IL, the other was in Colorado.

        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "msttc68" <jimhebbeln@...> wrote:

        > I'm surprised this event was missed 13 months ago.
        >
        > Flying around with Google Earth this weekend, I noted that the Red Oak Junction (Iowa) tower was gone. The building(s) are still there. I knew it was probably going to happen as I had serendipitously met the owner on site about October 2011. He said it cost too much to keep it going.
        >
        > Red Oak was a 5-way junction on the major Chicago, Red Oak, Dodge City, Amarillo, Albuquerque, LA route. Located at 40-54-55N; 95-14-15W (1.5 miles east of Coburg, IA). Earlier discussions on this site alluded that there was also a buried cable from Red Oak to Offutt AFB in Omaha, formerly SAC.
        >
        > The Red Oak Express newspaper has a sequence of 5 sequential pictures of it going south, literally, on January 20, 2012. (The third time I went to this URL, they wanted me to subscribe and didn't show the pictures which they are selling.)
        >
        > http://www.redoakexpress.com/content/tower-down
        >
        > I don't understand how they *safely* used a cutting torch on the south legs of this ~25-story structure. The north legs stayed attached to their foundations as it went over.
        >
        > Now I really feel old. It was an "old friend" that I drive by on my annual US 34 road trips between Northern Colorado and Eastern Iowa. Family once lived in Red Oak.
        >
        > I've got 4-5 nice pictures of Red Oak from the 2004-era and another from October 2011 with one of the lower space diversity horns nearly falling out over the top of its support ring. I'll try to post them this weekend.
        >
        > Jim

      • widebandit
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 28, 2013
          I created a second Red Oak photo album - AT&T RedOak 2 - in the Photos section of this forum:

          Photos are of Red Oak as it appeared in the summer of 2006. I have not yet added comments.

          There is also a 300dpi scan of Red Oak as it appeared on page 17 of the 1958 article "Communications and Defense"; which may be found on Albert LaFrance's Long-Lines.net website:
          <http://long-lines.net/documents/BTM-Sp58/15.html>

          The photo shows Red Oak as a TD-2 station without systems combining networks or cages. Close inspection of the photo shows mostly single waveguide connections from the horizontal rectangular waveguides to the vertical circular runs, but there may be a couple of vertical runs with rudimentary cross-polarization couplers to provide TD-2 interstitial channels 7-12. You can also see that the two outrigger horns were not yet connected to their vertical WG runs. I beleive these horns were for the two-hop Red Oak - Mineola - Omaha path.

          My guess is that the Red Oak tower was more than 55-years old when it was brought down.

          - wa -

          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "msttc68" <jimhebbeln@...> wrote:

          > I'm surprised this event was missed 13 months ago.
          >
          > Flying around with Google Earth this weekend, I noted that the Red Oak Junction (Iowa) tower was gone. The building(s) are still there. I knew it was probably going to happen as I had serendipitously met the owner on site about October 2011. He said it cost too much to keep it going.
          >
          > Red Oak was a 5-way junction on the major Chicago, Red Oak, Dodge City, Amarillo, Albuquerque, LA route. Located at 40-54-55N; 95-14-15W (1.5 miles east of Coburg, IA). Earlier discussions on this site alluded that there was also a buried cable from Red Oak to Offutt AFB in Omaha, formerly SAC.
          >
          > The Red Oak Express newspaper has a sequence of 5 sequential pictures of it going south, literally, on January 20, 2012. (The third time I went to this URL, they wanted me to subscribe and didn't show the pictures which they are selling.)
          >
          > http://www.redoakexpress.com/content/tower-down
          >
          > I don't understand how they *safely* used a cutting torch on the south legs of this ~25-story structure. The north legs stayed attached to their foundations as it went over.
          >
          > Now I really feel old. It was an "old friend" that I drive by on my annual US 34 road trips between Northern Colorado and Eastern Iowa. Family once lived in Red Oak.
          >
          > I've got 4-5 nice pictures of Red Oak from the 2004-era and another from October 2011 with one of the lower space diversity horns nearly falling out over the top of its support ring. I'll try to post them this weekend.
          >
          > Jim

        • s82917
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1, 2013
            It's interesting that you met the owner, I just checked the FCC antenna registration website and it shows that American Tower was listed as the owner up until the point in time that the tower was dismantled. I wonder if ATC really did own it until the end, or did the real owner fail to update the tower registration after he bought it as required by law?

            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "msttc68" <jimhebbeln@...> wrote:

            > I'm surprised this event was missed 13 months ago.
            >
            > Flying around with Google Earth this weekend, I noted that the Red Oak Junction (Iowa) tower was gone. The building(s) are still there. I knew it was probably going to happen as I had serendipitously met the owner on site about October 2011. He said it cost too much to keep it going.
            >
            > Red Oak was a 5-way junction on the major Chicago, Red Oak, Dodge City, Amarillo, Albuquerque, LA route. Located at 40-54-55N; 95-14-15W (1.5 miles east of Coburg, IA). Earlier discussions on this site alluded that there was also a buried cable from Red Oak to Offutt AFB in Omaha, formerly SAC.
            >
            > The Red Oak Express newspaper has a sequence of 5 sequential pictures of it going south, literally, on January 20, 2012. (The third time I went to this URL, they wanted me to subscribe and didn't show the pictures which they are selling.)
            >
            > http://www.redoakexpress.com/content/tower-down
            >
            > I don't understand how they *safely* used a cutting torch on the south legs of this ~25-story structure. The north legs stayed attached to their foundations as it went over.
            >
            > Now I really feel old. It was an "old friend" that I drive by on my annual US 34 road trips between Northern Colorado and Eastern Iowa. Family once lived in Red Oak.
            >
            > I've got 4-5 nice pictures of Red Oak from the 2004-era and another from October 2011 with one of the lower space diversity horns nearly falling out over the top of its support ring. I'll try to post them this weekend.
            >
            > Jim

          • Tom
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 1, 2013
              I don't recall specifics, but I've run into situations where a former AT&T tower has an owner listed on the FAA tower website, different than the sinage on the tower which indicates ATC.

              Tom Scanlan