Kevin M. Roof

  • Michael Ravnitzky
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 16, 2013
      The only peson named Kevin Roof that has apparently spent any appreciable
      time in Wyoming is Kevin M. Roof, who lives in Cheyenne Wyoming and can
      likely be reached at telephone number 307-632-7718.

      Michael
      mikerav@...

      In December of 2006 I received email from Kevin Roof who used to work in
      this building and helped decommision the site in 1991.

      Wonder if any retirees would know the name "Kevin Roof"? I'm still curious
      why this site was so huge. As I recall, Lillyville and other Underground
      Mains were 15-20E3ft^2..

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 17, 2013
        On 2/16/13 10:12 AM, Michael Ravnitzky wrote:

        > The only peson named Kevin Roof that has apparently spent any appreciable
        > time in Wyoming is Kevin M. Roof, who lives in Cheyenne Wyoming

        Good data!

        I spoke with Mr. Roof. He was with AT&T, then QWEST, now Century Link.

        He helped tear out everything in the shutdown, but did not otherwise work
        there much outside of making up some coax connections.

        He confirms it was 2 levels, with both blast doors at the lower level, and
        ~100x150 ft/level. He recalls it as "pretty full" when they started ripping
        it apart in ~~1991. [Which rules out my "overbuilt" theory...)

        He also recalls the three routes; west via Muddy Gap, east to Chadron, and
        south to Longmont. He thought that some of them had been upgraded to L5 but
        was not sure. (That would have meant new power stations.....)

        So we have my original mystery: why was this station 2X the size of
        Lillyville, etc?

        re: Muddy Gap station, he thinks it was ~3 miles W on 287 from the town,
        near a park. I have a lat/long of (42.463905, -107.596024), but I am not
        sure that is what I am seeing; and that's 13 miles away.
      • packy41
        Message 3 of 8 , May 5, 2013
          Has anyone been able to locate this facility yet (Muddy Gap)? I was up and down in the area today and found nothing along the main roads or any cable markers anywhere in the vicinity today. Most of the area is fairly wide open...but nothing stuck along the landscape.

          Message 4 of 8 , May 5, 2013
            Muddy Gap was an attended station, with a $27 a week(1974) special allowance stipend(3rd highest in LL), which meant it was way outta town & probably on a road (much)less travelled.

            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "packy41" <packy41@...> wrote:

            > Has anyone been able to locate this facility yet (Muddy Gap)? I was up and down in the area today and found nothing along the main roads or any cable markers anywhere in the vicinity today. Most of the area is fairly wide open...but nothing stuck along the landscape.
            >
            > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, David <wb8foz@> wrote:
            > >
            > > On 2/16/13 10:12 AM, Michael Ravnitzky wrote:
            > >
            > > > The only peson named Kevin Roof that has apparently spent any appreciable
            > > > time in Wyoming is Kevin M. Roof, who lives in Cheyenne Wyoming
            > >
            > > Good data!
            > >
            > > I spoke with Mr. Roof. He was with AT&T, then QWEST, now Century Link.
            > >
            > > He helped tear out everything in the shutdown, but did not otherwise work
            > > there much outside of making up some coax connections.
            > >
            > > He confirms it was 2 levels, with both blast doors at the lower level, and
            > > ~100x150 ft/level. He recalls it as "pretty full" when they started ripping
            > > it apart in ~~1991. [Which rules out my "overbuilt" theory...)
            > >
            > > He also recalls the three routes; west via Muddy Gap, east to Chadron, and
            > > south to Longmont. He thought that some of them had been upgraded to L5 but
            > > was not sure. (That would have meant new power stations.....)
            > >
            > > So we have my original mystery: why was this station 2X the size of
            > > Lillyville, etc?
            > >
            > > re: Muddy Gap station, he thinks it was ~3 miles W on 287 from the town,
            > > near a park. I have a lat/long of (42.463905, -107.596024), but I am not
            > > sure that is what I am seeing; and that's 13 miles away.

          • Pj
            Message 5 of 8 , May 5, 2013
              That would be correct. No cell service, no town services nearby. The closest town would be Rawlins to the south (50ish miles) or Jeffery City to the west - which is currently a semi-ghost town. When the winds pick up and blows the snow, there is no in or out of the area when they close the roads.

              (Currently assigned south of Muddy Gap in Rawlins and took a day trip to find some of the ghost towns/abandonded ranches out here - and there is nothing but open land and open roads through the mountains)
            • Blake Bowers
              Message 6 of 8 , May 5, 2013
                42°27'48.05"N

                107°35'46.34"W

                Take a gander at that. It also sits on a deeded parcel exactly the size of
                the fence, which was not uncommon for AT&T.

                _____

                --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com <mailto:coldwarcomms%40yahoogroups.com>

                Message 7 of 8 , May 5, 2013
                  On 5/6/13 12:38 AM, Blake Bowers wrote:
                  > 42°27'48.05"N 107°35'46.34"W
                  >

                  > Take a gander at that. It also sits on a deeded parcel exactly the size of
                  > the fence, which was not uncommon for AT&T.

                  That was my first suspect, but I didn't see any emergency exits and such....
                • rjfrank1@ymail.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 6, 2013
                    The emergency stairway exit structure for Muddy Gap is best viewed using GE historical imagery from either 8/25/1994 or 10/7/2004. The main facility building is located at the center of the land parcel. Using a clock face analogy, the above ground emergency exit is the small dark structure at roughly the "4 o'clock" position.

                    For Fontenelle (41°57'50.69"N, 110° 3'22.62"W), use GE imagery from 7/20/1994. The above ground facility configuration is similiar to Muddy Gap, however the emergency exit structure is located closer to the "5 o'clock" position. Fontenelle was demolished sometime prior to 9/26/2006 per available historical imagery. There was brief discussion of this a few years ago in Message #16106.