AT&T of where? KCK61

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2013
      So I was following routes out of Andover ME via my usual scheme.
      Plug the known callsign into ULS and see who it has/had routes to...

      I got to Cornish, KCK61,
      <http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/licensePathsSum.jsp?licKey=957633>
      and did a double-take. Still at

      1200 PEACHTREE ST NE FLOC 15W27

      but the owner is:

      AT&T COMMUNICATIONS OF THE VIRGIN ISLANDS INC

      There has to be a story behind this....the only other license of theirs is
      WLK674, and it's a long way from Maine.
    • widebandit
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 31, 2013
        No longer an ATC site...
        Maptech:
        http://tinyurl.com/ATT-Cornish-Maine
        Bing:
        http://binged.it/WWxPir
        - wa -

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 31, 2013
          On 1/31/13 10:35 PM, widebandit wrote:
          > No longer an ATC site...
          Happen to know what was the ATC #? I keep track of those, too.

          <http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=44_17_44.2_N_70_37_3.2_w>

          I'm also looking for adjacent sites: Gray, Bowdoin also elude me.
        • Blake Bowers
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 31, 2013
            Don't forget, AT&T had two microwave routes into and out of Andover. The
            other was added later in life, then transferred to MCI with the earth
            station.

            _____

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 1, 2013
              On 2/1/13 2:02 AM, Blake Bowers wrote:
              > Don't forget, AT&T had two microwave routes into and out of Andover. The
              > other was added later in life, then transferred to MCI with the earth
              > station.

              Interestingly, the 1970 map shows such.

              The 1980 map shows zip; Portland, Brunswick, Liberty, Bangor, Sanford &
              Kings Mt.....and that is all..
            • s82917
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 1, 2013
                Cornish, ME, FCC #1023991, ATC #88056

                West Paris, ME, FCC #1023995, ATC #88064

                Bowdoin and Gray are shown in a 1971 microwave catalog as belonging to the New England Telephone Co. No FCC registration number comes up for their coordinates, which is not surprising considering that they were short towers, probably unlighted. The coordinates are:

                Bowdoin, ME KCO96 44-06-07 / 70-00-17

                Gray, ME KCK89 43-50-55 / 70-20-28

                Terry

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 1, 2013
                  The alternate route started out of
                  Andover, went to the tower at Swains Notch, down deep in a valley, just
                  below the older route tower at Blacks Mountain, then it went to Canton
                  Maine,

                  Then south from there. Both of these sites and the two that they talked to
                  south of there were AT&T, then MCI, then Canton and Swains were sold to
                  Frosty Towers, and since they have been sold. I believe Swains Notch was
                  removed, the land sold to the neighboring landowner, and Canton Pass is a
                  tower with space available for lease through a Maine company.

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 1, 2013
                    On 2/1/13 4:15 PM, Blake Bowers wrote:
                    > The alternate route started out of
                    > Andover, went to the tower at Swains Notch, down deep in a valley, just
                    > below the older route tower at Blacks Mountain, then it went to Canton
                    > Maine,
                    >
                    > Then south from there. Both of these sites and the two that they talked to
                    > south of there were AT&T, then MCI, then Canton and Swains were sold to
                    > Frosty Towers, and since they have been sold. I believe Swains Notch was
                    > removed, the land sold to the neighboring landowner, and Canton Pass is a
                    > tower with space available for lease through a Maine company.

                    I see Black Mountain, West Paris, Cornish;
                    & Canton, West Minot & Brunswick.

                    Finding ref's to stations around there is not trivial.
                    And the map varies from the ULS entries.

                    On Bowdoin,
                    <http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=44_6_7.2_N_70_0_15.1_w>,
                    it appears it has been removed so thoroughly you can't tell it was ever
                    there. Contrast Google vs. Bing imagery. Bet they did not dig out the
                    foundation.