L Carrier sites

  • c_r_doherty
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 22, 2013
      Looking for info on 2 sites, one located near Monticello, IA and the other neqr Paris, MO. Both are smaller than the standard main stations plus neither have any microwave capabilites and they weren't on the transcon L4. Was just curious for any info anyone had.

      Thanx!
    • c_r_doherty
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 22, 2013
        Looking for info on the sites near Monticello, IA and Paris, MO. Neither are on the transcon L4 route but are similar to the main stations but smaller. Also neither have a microwave capability. Was just curious as to thier usage. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 22, 2013
          IIRC these were main stations(aka pwr feed) on the L3I transcon route.

          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "c_r_doherty" wrote:

          > Looking for info on 2 sites, one located near Monticello, IA and the other neqr Paris, MO. Both are smaller than the standard main stations plus neither have any microwave capabilites and they weren't on the transcon L4. Was just curious for any info anyone had.
          >
          > Thanx!

        • cpe122
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 3, 2013
            Paris,MO,L3I,,39 22 09,92 04 28W

            See also: http://www.long-lines.net/places-routes/FairviewKS-OffuttAFBNE/CB101873/7.html

            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 3, 2013
              Cascade,IA,L4,S,42 17 04,91 05 31W

              CSCDIA01 was a "switching and power feed" station on the Transcon L-4.

              They had a maintenance center and hosted a transmitter for a field maintenance radio system.

              http://www.usshc.com/

              Next station to the west is Boone; next to the east is Plano, IL (one of the longest cable sections in the L-4 system).

              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 3, 2013
                Was L3 above ground, L3I below, or ??????

                I've not seen anything in BSTJ detailing the differences, and I know L3 was
                aboveground in places.
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 4, 2013
                  --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, David wrote:

                  > Was L3 above ground, L3I below, or ??????
                  >
                  > I've not seen anything in BSTJ detailing the differences, and I know L3 was
                  > aboveground in places.

                  From post 21321:

                  L3 mains were unattended except for those colocated in a manned VF/K repeater
                  building or a CO;spacing was typically <100 miles;size was 2500-3500SF in one
                  story above ground buildings(see Edge Hill VA on Albert's page).

                  L3I mains (other than terminal main CO's with MMX,LMX,etc like
                  Monrovia,Airmont,Williamstown) were usually *attended, underground & hardened,
                  and often called "power feed stations"; spacing typically <100 miles; size was
                  around 5000SF,with a small mezzanine and a room for sewage & water tanks.

                  There were a few exceptions where L3 terminals were underground:

                  Monrovia MD,Blue Ridge Summit #2 PA, Plano IL.
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 4, 2013
                    On 2/4/13 12:26 PM, OZOB99 wrote:

                    > L3 mains were unattended except for those colocated in a manned VF/K repeater
                    > building or a CO;spacing was typically<100 miles;size was 2500-3500SF in one
                    > story above ground buildings(see Edge Hill VA on Albert's page).
                    >

                    > L3I mains (other than terminal main CO's with MMX,LMX,etc like
                    > Monrovia,Airmont,Williamstown) were usually *attended, underground& hardened,
                    > and often called "power feed stations"; spacing typically<100 miles; size was
                    > around 5000SF,with a small mezzanine and a room for sewage& water tanks.

                    But what about the repeaters? Were they aboveground for L3, and below for L3I?
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 4, 2013
                      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, David wrote:

                      > On 2/4/13 12:26 PM, OZOB99 wrote:
                      >
                      > > L3 mains were unattended except for those colocated in a manned VF/K repeater
                      > > building or a CO;spacing was typically<100 miles;size was 2500-3500SF in one
                      > > story above ground buildings(see Edge Hill VA on Albert's page).
                      > >

                      > > L3I mains (other than terminal main CO's with MMX,LMX,etc like
                      > > Monrovia,Airmont,Williamstown) were usually *attended, underground& hardened,
                      > > and often called "power feed stations"; spacing typically<100 miles; size was
                      > > around 5000SF,with a small mezzanine and a room for sewage& water tanks.
                      >
                      > But what about the repeaters? Were they aboveground for L3, and below for L3I?

                      Yes; fyi- both had huts but just a manhole in the floor of L3I for access to repeaters below.
                    • cpe122
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 4, 2013
                        Very little L was above ground. Less and less was installed above ground through the L-3 days. There came a point in the L-3I/L-4 days that it became more of a design "issue". From that point on it had to be below ground (and small cost issues with installation became less of an issue).

                        /cpe

                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 4, 2013
                          On 2/4/13 9:38 PM, cpe122 wrote:

                          > Very little L was above ground. Less and less was installed above
                          > ground through the L-3 days. There came a point in the L-3I/L-4 days
                          > that it became more of a design "issue". From that point on it had to
                          > be below ground (and small cost issues with installation became less of
                          > an issue).

                          The L4 pages seemed to indicate L4 vaults were designed to be flooded,
                          and L3I vaults were watertight. (In L4, the repeaters were in pressurized
                          cans..)

                          True?
                        • Dexter McIntyre W4DEX
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 5, 2013
                            David wrote:

                            > The L4 pages seemed to indicate L4 vaults were designed to be flooded,
                            > and L3I vaults were watertight. (In L4, the repeaters were in pressurized
                            > cans..)
                            >
                            > True?

                            Yes the L4 repeaters were in cans that was pressurized by the dry air
                            from the cable.

                            Never worked or saw and L3 so can't comment on that.

                            Dex
                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 15, 2013

                              Former L3I Main Station Monticello IA  is/was for sale as a data center:

                              http://www.usshc.com/facts/

                              ---In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, <coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                              IIRC these were main stations(aka pwr feed) on the L3I transcon route.

                              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "c_r_doherty" wrote:

                              > Looking for info on 2 sites, one located near Monticello, IA and the other neqr Paris, MO. Both are smaller than the standard main stations plus neither have any microwave capabilites and they weren't on the transcon L4. Was just curious for any info anyone had.
                              >
                              > Thanx!

                            • cpe122
                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 24, 2013

                                The Iowa station name was Cascade (CSCDIA01), and it was a Switching and Power Feed Station on the transcon L4.  Cascade did have a triangular tower for Land Mobile Radio though.  It took two trips to find it (

                                42 17 0491 05 31W

                                ).  I know less about Paris (

                                39 22 0992 04 28W

                                ), but Paris does appear to be transcon L3-I.

                                Both sites are in private ownership and are likely under video surveillance.

                                /cpe

                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 25, 2013

                                   Cascade prompted me to revisit the Monticello scenario & I found that the original question assumed it was not

                                  L4 ; & I  thought I had seen it as an L3I somewhere(that route was way south), it was an L4 Main with both names.

                                  Cascade & Monticello are about 10 miles apart and apparently the same station; Cascade is on the route maps but Monticello is the name of the work location.

                                  ---In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, <coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                  The Iowa station name was Cascade (CSCDIA01), and it was a Switching and Power Feed Station on the transcon L4.  Cascade did have a triangular tower for Land Mobile Radio though.  It took two trips to find it (

                                  42 17 0491 05 31W

                                  ).  I know less about Paris (

                                  39 22 0992 04 28W

                                  ), but Paris does appear to be transcon L3-I.

                                  Both sites are in private ownership and are likely under video surveillance.

                                  /cpe

                                  ---In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, <coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                  Former L3I Main Station Monticello IA  is/was for sale as a data center:

                                  http://www.usshc.com/facts/

                                  ---In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, <coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                  IIRC these were main stations(aka pwr feed) on the L3I transcon route.

                                  --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "c_r_doherty" wrote:

                                  > Looking for info on 2 sites, one located near Monticello, IA and the other neqr Paris, MO. Both are smaller than the standard main stations plus neither have any microwave capabilites and they weren't on the transcon L4. Was just curious for any info anyone had.
                                  >
                                  > Thanx!

                                • k9iua
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Oct 25, 2013
                                    I drive by the Cascade site a few times a year, as it is just 25 miles or so from where I live.  The site is easy to see, as it right along U.S. 151, within a couple hundred feet of the highway right of way.  You just have to recognize it by the typical above-ground structures - entry structure, garage, air vent covers, plus the outside diesel back up generators that have been added -- which unless you know what they mean are just odd buildings.

                                    Regarding the radio tower - it is still there and re-purposed by the current site occupants (the U.S. Secure Hosting and Colocation site, USSHC, which is not a government entity).  Currently there are several small microwave devices on the tower to provide secondary internet connections through a local WiMax ISP in eastern Iowa known as YouSquared.  I understand that the sites main internet service is by buried fiber.  There are no gates or fence stopping anyone from driving on the property, which I've done twice just for a quick look-see, although I didn't stick around long enough to spot the cameras that I am sure are also there.

                                    Kevin Anderson
                                    Dubuque, Iowa

                                    ---In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, <coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                     Cascade prompted me to revisit the Monticello scenario & I found that the original question assumed it was not

                                    L4 ; & I  thought I had seen it as an L3I somewhere(that route was way south), it was an L4 Main with both names.

                                    Cascade & Monticello are about 10 miles apart and apparently the same station; Cascade is on the route maps but Monticello is the name of the work location.

                                    [stuff deleted]

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Oct 29, 2013

                                       More on Paris Mo:

                                      http://www.missilebases.com/parismissouri