Re: [coldwarcomms] "WHITE" EAM Messages

  • Richard McConnell
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 11, 2013
      Red Rocket messages and the White Rocket exercise version were defined in Chapter 12 of Vol 1 of the JCS Emergency Action Procedures. IIRC the NMCS command centers originated White Rockets on a regular (monthly) but unannounced schedule to ensure continuity between the CJCS and select units across the armed services. Acknowledgement of receipt was expected ASAP but in no case more than 30 minutes from time of transmission.

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 11, 2013
        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Richard McConnell" wrote:

        > Red Rocket messages and the White Rocket exercise version were defined in Chapter 12 of Vol 1 of the JCS Emergency Action Procedures. IIRC the NMCS command centers originated White Rockets on a regular (monthly) but unannounced schedule to ensure continuity between the CJCS and select units across the armed services. Acknowledgement of receipt was expected ASAP but in no case more than 30 minutes from time of transmission.

        Thanks for the description;I have the document(1979) above but it's so heavily redacted there was no info other than the name.

        Was this a recollection, or has that JCS EAM Procedure been further declassified?, if so is it available online?

        The Air Defense Emergency warning terms: "Big Noise Apple Jack,Lemon Juice and Snow Man" were also mentioned in the document, which I did not find in the group archive.

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 11, 2013
          Recollection. The JCS-EAP is a top secret document that I used in a past life while assigned to the ANMCC. The most recent version I saw on-line was dated 1981 but it was also heavily redacted, too. The Air Defense terms you noted are analogous to the Defcon exercise terms cited below and were used during CP exercises to avoid confusion with the real-world terms.

          Sent from my iPad

          On Jan 11, 2013, at 4:59 PM, "OZOB99" <ozob99@...> wrote:

          > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Richard McConnell" wrote:
          > >
          > > Red Rocket messages and the White Rocket exercise version were defined in Chapter 12 of Vol 1 of the JCS Emergency Action Procedures. IIRC the NMCS command centers originated White Rockets on a regular (monthly) but unannounced schedule to ensure continuity between the CJCS and select units across the armed services. Acknowledgement of receipt was expected ASAP but in no case more than 30 minutes from time of transmission.
          >
          > Thanks for the description;I have the document(1979) above but it's so heavily redacted there was no info other than the name.
          >
          > Was this a recollection, or has that JCS EAM Procedure been further declassified?, if so is it available online?
          >
          > The Air Defense Emergency warning terms: "Big Noise Apple Jack,Lemon Juice and Snow Man" were also mentioned in the document, which I did not find in the group archive.

        • Tim
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 11, 2013
            http://www.dod.mil/pubs/foi/joint_staff/jointStaff_jointOperations/52.pdf

            I remember some of the traffic on the old US European Command
            Cemetery Net/Regency Net included RED ROCKET "grams" intended for the
            medium range ballistic missile troops.

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 11, 2013
              On 1/11/2013 3:55 PM, Tim wrote:
              > http://www.dod.mil/pubs/foi/joint_staff/jointStaff_jointOperations/52.pdf
              >
              > I remember some of the traffic on the old US European Command
              > Cemetery Net/Regency Net included RED ROCKET "grams" intended for the
              > medium range ballistic missile troops.

              While the above EAP is heavily redacted, placement of "RED ROCKET" in
              the index strongly suggests it was a type of "Alert & Preparation" coded
              message, and "WHITE ROCKET" was related to Exercise EAMs.

              Some on-line resources state that the "RED ROCKET" term/system was
              initially created by the Defense Communications Agency in the 1960s to
              provide the President & Secretary of Defense with a
              high-precedence/priority communication capability with senior military
              commanders over in Vietnam. It may have been a special circuit, or just
              a very special routing/precedence over existing circuits, similar to &
              perhaps a precursor to FLASH/FLASH OVERRIDE.

              Tim

            • Richard McConnell
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 11, 2013
                I recall flash JCS traffic we received at the V Corps comm center in Frankfurt in the early '70s destined for a TUSLOG detachment in Turkey that required off-line encryption using a KL-7 machine. There was no way to handle the traffic in under 30 minutes.

                Sent from my iPad

                On Jan 11, 2013, at 5:55 PM, Tim <polohat@...> wrote:

                > http://www.dod.mil/pubs/foi/joint_staff/jointStaff_jointOperations/52.pdf
                >
                > I remember some of the traffic on the old US European Command
                > Cemetery Net/Regency Net included RED ROCKET "grams" intended for the
                > medium range ballistic missile troops.
                >
                > On 1/11/2013 3:32 PM, Richard McConnell wrote:
                > >
                > > Recollection. The JCS-EAP is a top secret document that I used in a
                > > past life while assigned to the ANMCC. The most recent version I saw
                > > on-line was dated 1981 but it was also heavily redacted, too. The Air
                > > Defense terms you noted are analogous to the Defcon exercise terms
                > > cited below and were used during CP exercises to avoid confusion with
                > > the real-world terms.
                > >
                > > Sent from my iPad
                > >
                > > On Jan 11, 2013, at 4:59 PM, "OZOB99" ozob99@...
                > > > wrote:
                > >

                > > > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com

                > > defined in Chapter 12 of Vol 1 of the JCS Emergency Action Procedures.
                > > IIRC the NMCS command centers originated White Rockets on a regular
                > > (monthly) but unannounced schedule to ensure continuity between the
                > > CJCS and select units across the armed services. Acknowledgement of
                > > receipt was expected ASAP but in no case more than 30 minutes from
                > > time of transmission.
                > > >
                > > > Thanks for the description;I have the document(1979) above but it's
                > > so heavily redacted there was no info other than the name.
                > > >
                > > > Was this a recollection, or has that JCS EAM Procedure been further
                > > declassified?, if so is it available online?
                > > >
                > > > The Air Defense Emergency warning terms: "Big Noise Apple Jack,Lemon
                > > Juice and Snow Man" were also mentioned in the document, which I did
                > > not find in the group archive.

              • Ken Bowles
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 11, 2013
                  Was over there in 68-70 and the FLASH EAM-like traffic that had to be
                  decrypted with a KL-7 was a back-up to coded messages received earlier via
                  the HF Cemetery Net and decoded more quickly.

                  Ken in Union MO

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 11, 2013
                    http://www.gtr5.com/commentary/GetTRDoc%5B1%5D.pdf

                    Some where in the recesses of my memory, I think the USS Liberty incident off the coast of Israel may
                    Have been the impetus for Red Rocket type messages. Tim's thoughts on special circuitry may be correct
                    but by the early 70s, I remember receiving flash precedence White Rockets via Autodin.

                    Sent from my iPad

                    On Jan 11, 2013, at 6:09 PM, Tim <polohat@...> wrote:

                    > On 1/11/2013 3:55 PM, Tim wrote:
                    > > http://www.dod.mil/pubs/foi/joint_staff/jointStaff_jointOperations/52.pdf
                    > >
                    > > I remember some of the traffic on the old US European Command
                    > > Cemetery Net/Regency Net included RED ROCKET "grams" intended for the
                    > > medium range ballistic missile troops.
                    >
                    > While the above EAP is heavily redacted, placement of "RED ROCKET" in
                    > the index strongly suggests it was a type of "Alert & Preparation" coded
                    > message, and "WHITE ROCKET" was related to Exercise EAMs.
                    >
                    > Some on-line resources state that the "RED ROCKET" term/system was
                    > initially created by the Defense Communications Agency in the 1960s to
                    > provide the President & Secretary of Defense with a
                    > high-precedence/priority communication capability with senior military
                    > commanders over in Vietnam. It may have been a special circuit, or just
                    > a very special routing/precedence over existing circuits, similar to &
                    > perhaps a precursor to FLASH/FLASH OVERRIDE.
                    >
                    > Tim

                  • Tim
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 11, 2013
                      On 1/11/2013 12:32 PM, the Misinformation Specialist resident of
                      "Facility 406 DM09" wrote:

                      > : "I remember to this day the sound of 11 Mc channel coming to life in the
                      > middle
                      > : of the night with "SKYKING SKYKING THIS IS LOOKING GLASS WITH A
                      > WHITE DOT
                      > MESSAGE IN ''X'' PARTS".
                      >
                      > There's still a ton of activity on that frequency, dozens a day, many
                      > EAMs,
                      > a few SKYKING calls, some Looking Glass.
                      >
                      > Kurt

                      How does Kurt know what "that frequency" was, if it wasn't
                      specifically mentioned?

                      I think it's safe to assume the original author would have been
                      referring to 11243kHz USB -- SAC ALPHA NET/'GIANT TALK' network's ALPHA
                      ONE channel -- the one other 11MHz freq that had a lot of SAC activity
                      was 11118kHz USB, known as "Fox 315," a very busy Post Attack Command
                      Control System channel during the daytime. Then there was 11494kHz USB,
                      which seemed to be used occasionally by one or more SAC missile wings
                      during daytime exercises. A Giant Talk discrete channel was 11220kHz
                      USB, but it wasn't busy & usually didn't pass EAMs or FDMs.

                      I believe the freq that kurt is thinking of is 11175kHz, as these
                      days it is a busy channel of the DOD's High Frequency Global
                      Communications System. However back in the era of the quote kurt
                      responded to, the freq was different -- 11176kHz, and didn't carry much
                      EAM/Skyking/Looking Glass traffic, as those players would have been on
                      SAC's 11243kHz channel or the night time alternate.

                      Tim

                    • Pj
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 11, 2013
                        Speaking of active HF freq's, anyone know what is good to listen too or any reg active freq's other than 11175/8772?

                        I've seen a few google'd lists, but most seem to be 5-10 years or older.

                        Message 11 of 13 , May 8, 2014