Re: [coldwarcomms] Re: Alexander AK

    Message 1 of 46 , Jan 1, 2013
      On 1/1/13 9:02 PM, widebandit wrote:

      > <http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/bstj/vol47-1968/articles/bstj47-7-1511.pdf>

      > A smaller J atop the big J. The 1988 date may reference the 75' tower
      > extension to improve propagation reliability - Alexander, Tucker, and W
      > Helena received these extensions...

      Yes, that would explain the ARS date.

      >>> A building addition that's a story taller than the original, in
      >>> effect shadowing the tower in that direction.
      >>>
      > The second story is actually the HVAC mezzanine; part of the original
      > construction - again see the above BSTJ papers. Both Alexander and
      > Arkabutla main stations are the same...

      The picture on page 1529 of vol 47 makes it far clearer than the imagery did.

      1511.pdf also explains two aspects.

      a) The unified (tower atop) eliminated/greatly reduced the need for custom
      waveguide; you knew the distance/direction between tower and rack.

      b) The straight tower kept the horn feed & thus waveguide inside the legs.

      Fig 10 of an aux station makes you wonder why it won't just tip over; the
      building is all within the tower legs...
    • widebandit
      Message 46 of 46 , Jan 5, 2013
        Good catch - nice term project for a CE grad student but probably not sufficient for a dissertation. At 1/16 scale the model horns were about 15-1/4" tall...

        Minor observation: The pyramidal horn dimensions in Fig. A1 p85 are at odds with KS15676 dimensions given in BSP 402-421-400 Fig. 1 (Fig. 1 is in the KS15676 photo album). To wit: (when was the last time you heard someone say that?) - Fig. A1 shows the horn 1-15/16" taller than the BSP. Lest you think that's no big deal, it's almost 2/3 wavelength at 3,950-MHz. Either the BSP is in error, or someone made a mistake in Fig. A1 of the CSU wind study - whaddya think?

        - wa -