Re: Alexander AK

  • widebandit
    Message 1 of 46 , Jan 1, 2013
      > > To the best of my knowledge there were fourteen Type-I/J 2-PSI non-tapered tower sites:
      > >
      > > TD3 field trial - "unitized" building/tower:
      > > Alexander Arkansas - Main Station
      >
      > <http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?params=34_36_05_N_92_26_57_W>
      >
      > This site has some other features I noticed....
      >
      > Tower built in 1988; that strikes me as late -- when did the move to glass kick in? But I see Alexander on older maps....

      Original building & tower were built in late 1966 - early 1967; see:
      <http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/bstj/vol47-1968/articles/bstj47-7-1143.pdf>
      And:
      <http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/bstj/vol47-1968/articles/bstj47-7-1511.pdf>

      > A smaller J atop the big J.

      The 1988 date may reference the 75' tower extension to improve propagation reliability - Alexander, Tucker, and W Helena received these extensions...
      > A building addition that's a story taller than the original, in effect shadowing the tower in that direction.

      The second story is actually the HVAC mezzanine; part of the original construction - again see the above BSTJ papers. Both Alexander and Arkabutla main stations are the same...

      > BTW, saw a different name/address for initial contact:
      >
      > JANE VAUGHAN
      > 1200 PEACHTREE ST FLOC15W27
      > ATLANTA , GA 30309
      >
      > but later it changed to the familiar Ms. Pamela Cheeks...
      >
      > These are the two best shots I have found:
      >
      > <http://binged.it/TFalhq>
      > <http://goo.gl/maps/pHxzv>

      How about Alexander:
      <http://long-lines.net/places-routes/AlexanderAR/Alxnar01A.html>
      Palmer:
      <http://long-lines.net/places-routes/PalmerAR/Plmrar07A.html>
      W Helena - 87'6" Type-J supporting a 125' extension - gives you an idea of how robust the Type-J design actually was:
      <http://long-lines.net/places-routes/WestHelenaAR/Whlnar01a.html>
      Arkabutla - photos by Blake Bowers and others:
      <http://long-lines.net/places-routes/ArkabutlaMS/index.html>
      See also extensive photo coverage of Arkbutla by Ashley and Company on Flickr:
      <https://secure.flickr.com/photos/ashleyandcompany/sets/72157620789286721/>
      Thanks Blake - wa -
    • widebandit
      Message 46 of 46 , Jan 5, 2013
        Good catch - nice term project for a CE grad student but probably not sufficient for a dissertation. At 1/16 scale the model horns were about 15-1/4" tall...

        Minor observation: The pyramidal horn dimensions in Fig. A1 p85 are at odds with KS15676 dimensions given in BSP 402-421-400 Fig. 1 (Fig. 1 is in the KS15676 photo album). To wit: (when was the last time you heard someone say that?) - Fig. A1 shows the horn 1-15/16" taller than the BSP. Lest you think that's no big deal, it's almost 2/3 wavelength at 3,950-MHz. Either the BSP is in error, or someone made a mistake in Fig. A1 of the CSU wind study - whaddya think?

        - wa -