Re: Southern VA mutterings

  • widebandit
    Message 1 of 46 , Jan 1, 2013
      > Mosley had a J-type tower. Have were ever figured out why some sites had them vice more conventional tapered ones?

      To the best of my knowledge there were fourteen Type-I/J 2-PSI non-tapered tower sites:

      TD3 field trial - "unitized" building/tower:
      Alexander Arkansas - Main Station
      Tucker Arkansas
      Stuttgart Arkansas
      Palmer Arkansas
      West Helena Arkansas
      Arkabutla Mississippi - Main Station

      Hardened Underground:
      Blackstone Massachusetts
      Boone Iowa
      Cedarbrook-2 New Jersey
      Cheshire Connecticut
      Dunnigan California
      Finksburg Maryland
      Lyons Nebraska
      Mosley Virginia

      Mosley and Dunnigan have partial towers with horns mounted on outrigger platforms - which saved the expense of the large eight-horn main deck (41' square - you could park cars up there) supported by some rather complicated ironwork...

      By the time L-L got around to building towers at the Stanfield and Ellisville underground, they decided to go with conventional Type-L towers - both of which required a custom reverse-taper base section to interface with the existing foundation piers - the two towers have "hips". As a further cost savings, the Stanfield tower has neither deck grating, safety railings, nor step-off rest platforms - which also dramatically reduced the temptation for 'exploratory' tower climbing and vandalism...

      Cedarbrook-1 was a conventional repeater station with Type-A 2-deck tower and cinder-block building. The two sites are co-located about 500' apart: <http://binged.it/UjxrtM>...

      Finksburg is the only 350' Type-J. Speculation on my part is that one of the reasons L-L put it up was to see what a full-height J-Tower looked like (they wouldn't do that, would they?) - wa -
    • widebandit
      Message 46 of 46 , Jan 5, 2013
        Good catch - nice term project for a CE grad student but probably not sufficient for a dissertation. At 1/16 scale the model horns were about 15-1/4" tall...

        Minor observation: The pyramidal horn dimensions in Fig. A1 p85 are at odds with KS15676 dimensions given in BSP 402-421-400 Fig. 1 (Fig. 1 is in the KS15676 photo album). To wit: (when was the last time you heard someone say that?) - Fig. A1 shows the horn 1-15/16" taller than the BSP. Lest you think that's no big deal, it's almost 2/3 wavelength at 3,950-MHz. Either the BSP is in error, or someone made a mistake in Fig. A1 of the CSU wind study - whaddya think?

        - wa -