Re: PA & NJ Long Lines / K carrier sites

  • dsandow
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 2013
      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "cpe122" <cpe122@...> wrote:

      > > > On the 3rd floor of the NJB CO on South Orange Ave (county 510) about 2 blocks west of the DL&W RR station.
      > >
      > > This is a example of those cases where K repeater spacing happened to be near an existing Bell building & thus no K station as such.
      >
      > Got it. Still a little mystified why LL didn't just call it 'South Orange', as they did in other associated company buildings they were in..

      If LL had a real testroom in the building, then they would have called it by the BOC's name ex: Rochelle Park, New Brunswick, Newark 1&2. But this was only an un-staffed repeater. So it followed repeater naming convention (KE/KW) to simplify mapping and communication with distant LL testboards and status centers. Only the local repairmen had to know where it was physically.

      There might also have been some wrinkle involving how the space was recorded for Division of Revenue purposes.
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 1, 2013
        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "dsandow" <dsandow@...> wrote:

        > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "cpe122" <cpe122@> wrote:

        > > > This is a example of those cases where K repeater spacing happened to be near an existing Bell building & thus no K station as such.
        > >
        > > Got it. Still a little mystified why LL didn't just call it 'South Orange', as they did in other associated company buildings they were in..
        >
        > If LL had a real testroom in the building, then they would have called it by the BOC's name ex: Rochelle Park, New Brunswick, Newark 1&2. But this was only an un-staffed repeater. So it followed repeater naming convention (KE/KW) to simplify mapping and communication with distant LL testboards and status centers. Only the local repairmen had to know where it was physically.
        >
        > There might also have been some wrinkle involving how the space was recorded for Division of Revenue purposes.

        Mckenney Va comes to mind; originally a manned VF repeater CO on the Richmond-Greensboro cable;K cxr added on cable in the late 1930's with K repeaters in the building(no terminal K);otherwise it would have been known as Richmond K3S, with Mckenney KN becoming Richmond K2S, and Richmond KS becoming K1S.
      • cpe122
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 5, 2013
          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "dsandow" wrote:
          > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "cpe122" wrote:
          > > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "dsandow" wrote:

          > > > On the west side of US 1. As I recall, north of the Dinky/PJ&R RR. Repurposed as a day care center many years ago, but not checked recently. This property was larger than required, because it also served as the central depot for spare and restoration cable of all types (paper pairs through 20-tube coax) in NJ, and as a cable maintenance base. Excess land may or may not have been subdivided in recent years.
          > >
          > > Is this the place?
          > > http://binged.it/S1WjJz
          >
          > Absolutely. Good find. This building was also a repeater on the first NY-Phila L-1 (The NY-PX "G" cable) 4-tube .270". That might explain the addition at the rear.

          Any clue as to where any of the huts might be between NY and Philly?

          > Aside, for non-NJ, non-RR people. I mentioned "the Dinky", which locals would recognize. The shortest scheduled commuter RR line in the USA. In the interest of full disclosure, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princeton_Branch .

          That's a great bit of history.

          /cpe