Re: [coldwarcomms] Re: reallocation

  • Mike Cowen
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2013
      True, fiber was a factor, but -if- I understand
      things correctly, the L-L circuits (in general)
      were all designed for message service. This
      allowed the ready use of spare circuits/channels
      for maintenance or restoration with little regard
      to the type of traffic being handled, so long as
      the endpoint configs matched up. It was the
      "extra" stuff done for TVS that made it
      special. Leave out the extra stuff, and you're
      already in the message service business.
      Corrections? ISTR a discussion here, where this
      "found" capacity was a significant factor in
      delaying fiber deployment as long as possible.
      Market forces eventually leveraged the need for
      fiber before T really wanted to surrender their existing plant.

      Mike

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2013
        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Mike Cowen <weldedrail@...> wrote:

        > True, fiber was a factor, but -if- I understand
        > things correctly, the L-L circuits (in general)
        > were all designed for message service. This
        > allowed the ready use of spare circuits/channels
        > for maintenance or restoration with little regard
        > to the type of traffic being handled, so long as
        > the endpoint configs matched up. It was the
        > "extra" stuff done for TVS that made it
        > special. Leave out the extra stuff, and you're
        > already in the message service business.
        > Corrections? ISTR a discussion here, where this
        > "found" capacity was a significant factor in
        > delaying fiber deployment as long as possible.
        > Market forces eventually leveraged the need for
        > fiber before T really wanted to surrender their existing plant.
        >
        > Mike

        The extra stuff was mostly in handling/fixing problems & provisioning, not hardware; from the FMT-IF-RF-IF-FMR at terminals everything was same except TV baseband went to the TOC on video equalized trunks, and message(which includes all the private lines)went to L MUX via WLEL.

        I don't recall any reuse of TVS layouts for new MUR's in Virginia in the 1980's; it would have required additional expensive(and obsolete) analog MUX installations in a rapidly growing digital world(fiber,4ESS & DACS).