Re: [coldwarcomms] Re: Backup for aviation if GPS fails?

  • Bill Luebkemann
    Message 1 of 41 , Dec 8 10:59 PM
      What happened in the situation you are talking about? I have not heard of it.

      Thanks,

      Bill Luebkemann

      Message 41 of 41 , Dec 14 2:15 PM
        <http://arstechnica.com/security/2012/12/how-to-bring-down-mission-critical-gps-networks-with-2500/>

        Scientists have devised a series of novel and inexpensive attacks that can
        severely disrupt mission-critical global positioning systems relied on by
        the military and a variety of industrial players, including airlines,
        mining companies, and operators of hydroelectric plants and other critical
        infrastructure.

        Unlike previous GPS attacks, the one developed by a team of scientists from
        Carnegie Mellon University and a private navigation company exploits
        software bugs in the underlying receivers. That allows the attacks to be
        stealthier and more persistent than earlier exploits, which primarily
        relied on signal jamming and spoofing.