AT&T Tower at Baton Rouge LA "Main" Removed?

  • Mark J. Cuccia
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2012
      In the years following Hurricane Katrina, after my move from
      New Orleans to Lafayette LA, I did have the occasion to travel to
      Baton Rouge LA (roughly halfway between New Orleans and Lafayette),
      and I always was able to notice the big microwave tower at the
      AT&T/BellSouth "Main" building (BTRGLAMA---) at 555 Florida Blvd @
      333 N.Sixth Street. It had several dish and horn antennae on it.
      This is located in the central business district of Baton Rouge LA.

      I didn't have as many occasions to travel to/thru Baton Rouge LA
      this year (2012), but in the past few months, on the few occasions
      I have traveled to/thru Baton Rouge, I have *NOT* been able to spot
      the tower at the main AT&T/BellSouth building, which I *WAS* able to
      previously spot from I-10 crossing the Miss.River into Baton Rouge,
      or on I-10 (or the spur I-110) approaching the Miss.River bridge
      leaving Baton Rouge to the west.

      I haven't been "street level" in the business district area of Baton
      Rouge lately to get a closer view though.

      Back ten years ago, 2002 and 2003, a few years prior to Katrina, when
      I still lived in New Orleans, the AT&T/BellSouth tower in New Orleans
      still had quite an array of MW horns, that tower outside of the
      "Broadmoor" building in New Orleans on the block bounded by:
      Erato Street/ Clio Street/ S.White Street/ S.Broad, NWORLABM---.

      This building was constructed circa 1960, and initially housed one of
      the earliest #5XBs in New Orleans (NWORLABMMG0), as well as (at least
      as early as 1962), the CAMA/XBTandem office "New Orleans 2"
      (NWORLABM01T). The #5XB local end-office also was the primary TWX
      serving office for the New Orleans area. By the early 1980s, after the
      new 4ESS office replaced the old 4AXB office at New Orleans "Main"
      (500-520 Baronne & 800-840 Poydras, NWORLAMA---), the CAMA/XBTandem
      at Broadmoor was also removed since everything was handled out of the
      new 4E at "Main". By 1987/88, one of the first new 5ESS local offices
      was added at "Broadmoor" (NWORLABMDS0), replacing the old 5XB.

      Anyhow, I always noticed the MW horns and dish antennae when going
      past "Broadmoor" during 2002. However, during the early part of 2003,
      I noticed that *all* of the MW horns (maybe not the dish antennae)
      at the tower outside of the "Broadmoor" building, were GONE! There
      were still some cellular antennae and what seemed to be VHF/UHF
      antennae as well mounted at various levels on the tower, but the
      "crowning glory" of MW horn antennae (as well as another single horn
      at mid-level) were all *GONE* as of early 2003.

      I haven't really been in New Orleans lately to see if that tower is
      still standing though.

      But it *seems* that the Baton Rouge tower at "Main" (BTRGLAMA---) is
      gone -- at least I am not able to see it from I-10 or I-110, which
      I always was able to do previously.

      There is (or was?) a smaller MW tower (with horns) at Baton Rouge
      "Goodwood" (BTRGLAGW---), off of Florida Blvd much further east,
      at 566 Lobdell Ave at the corner of Government Street. "Goodwood"
      had been a local central office building since probably the 1950s-era.
      When 7-digit (2L-5N) was introduced in Baton Rouge, replacing 5-digit
      local dialing, in the 1950s, "Goodwood" was the 504-WAlnut-x office
      codes (now 225-92x since the 504/225 NPA split of 1998/99).

      I don't know if "Goodwood" started off as SXS, but likely had #5XB
      504-92x office codes added by the 1960s-era. I'll have to get out some
      old handwritten notes I took from the "party line ringback" pages of
      1960s-era Baton Rouge directories to verify.

      But it was all 1AESS by the 1980s, and is all digital now.

      AND, "Goodwood" houses the (at&t-ILEC) LATA-tandem/TOPS DMS-100/200
      for the Baton Rouge LA LATA (#492).

      SO, if AT&T/BellSouth has removed the Microwave tower at Baton Rouge
      "Main", there is (was?) still a tower of some kind at Baton Rouge
      "Goodwood" in the Baton Rouge metro area.

      mjc
    • widebandit
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2012
        For those who wish to see...

        Baton Rouge:
        <http://binged.it/Stl3qC>

        Broadmoor:
        <http://binged.it/TyFwJi>

        Albert LaFrance has also posted pictures of a 'horn-raising' at Broadmoor on his Places and Routes page:
        <http://long-lines.net/places-routes/index.html>

        - wa -

        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Mark J. Cuccia" <markjcuccia@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > had been a local central office building since probably the 1950s-era.
        > When 7-digit (2L-5N) was introduced in Baton Rouge, replacing 5-digit
        > local dialing, in the 1950s, "Goodwood" was the 504-WAlnut-x office
        > codes (now 225-92x since the 504/225 NPA split of 1998/99).
        >
        > I don't know if "Goodwood" started off as SXS, but likely had #5XB
        > 504-92x office codes added by the 1960s-era. I'll have to get out some
        > old handwritten notes I took from the "party line ringback" pages of
        > 1960s-era Baton Rouge directories to verify.
        >
        > But it was all 1AESS by the 1980s, and is all digital now.
        >
        > AND, "Goodwood" houses the (at&t-ILEC) LATA-tandem/TOPS DMS-100/200
        > for the Baton Rouge LA LATA (#492).
        >
        > SO, if AT&T/BellSouth has removed the Microwave tower at Baton Rouge
        > "Main", there is (was?) still a tower of some kind at Baton Rouge
        > "Goodwood" in the Baton Rouge metro area.

      • Mark J. Cuccia
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2012
          On Mon, 12/3/12, <widebandit at yahoo.com> wrote:

          > For those who wish to see...
          >
          > Baton Rouge [Main]:
          > <http://binged.it/Stl3qC>
          >
          > [New Orleans] Broadmoor:
          > <http://binged.it/TyFwJi>
          >
          > Albert LaFrance has also posted pictures of a 'horn-raising'
          > at [New Orleans] Broadmoor on his Places and Routes page:
          > <http://long-lines.net/places-routes/index.html>
          >
          > - wa -

          Thanks for the links to the Bing pics...

          But when were those pics taken?!
          (esp. the Baton Rouge "Main")

          BTW, the pic at Bing of Baton Rouge "Goodwood" (566 Lobdell Ave)
          does show a smaller MW-tower and horns. But again, I don't know
          when that pic was taken -- if that tower (or at least horns) are
          still there.

          mjc
        • widebandit
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 3, 2012
            That's interesting - Google has very clear street-views of 566 Lobdell...

            The tower looks to be a 300' Type-H with the top 50-ft omitted - that is; it's the lower 250-ft of a 300-ft Type-H...