Re: ATT Archives: Technology of the Local Exchange #4

  • widebandit
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 30, 2012
      That would be the former high-rise office at the foot of the brooklyn bridge on Pearl Street:
      <http://binged.it/U7sa5z>

      If you pause at 05:08 you will actually see two high-rise offices; Pearl Street and - just to the left and behind the colonnade dome of the Civic Center - the top of the coldwar semi-hardened monolith high-rise office on Church Street just a few blocks south of NY32:
      <http://binged.it/VkNICw>

      But there are several 'smaller' offices on Manhattan as well. Not the least of which is the Second Avenue & 13th Street office; an 11-floor brownstone which, in 1975, was involved in the unthinkable - a major fire which devastated the cable vault, the MDF, and a substantial amount of electro-mechanical switchgear on the first two floors:
      <http://binged.it/VbFu9X>
      Service restoration was expedited by rebuilding the MDF on the relatively undamaged 3rd floor...

      The saga of the 2nd Avenue office fire is covered in another archive film - "Miracle on 2nd Avenue":
      <http://techchannel.att.com/play-video.cfm/2011/3/9/AT&T-Archives-Miracle-on-Second-Avenue>

      This fire is one of the main reasons why CO cableway openings and floor penetrations are now so carefully sealed with fireproofing material...

      - wa -