NORAD/NORTHCOM Cheyenne Mountain Operations Center has a sleepover

  • Tim
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 19, 2012
      http://www.norad.mil/News/2012/111912.html

      The article makes it seem like they should be awarded a medal or
      something...
    • John K Scoggin, Jr
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 19, 2012
        No doubt they'll get an Underground Expeditionary Medal for their night of
        "roughing it".

        We used to have National Security Exercises in the State EOC (70's and early
        80's) that were longer. (I can still remember consuming all those Mountain
        House freeze-dried goodies. <gr>)

        Good grief.

        john

        The article makes it seem like they should be awarded a medal or
        something...

      • Richard McConnell
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 19, 2012
          During my three years at the ANMCC, our tours were from Mon to Fri, minimum of 12 hrs on duty; off for a week, and then back in the site from Fri until Mon, again 12 hrs on.

          Sent from my iPad

        • rojoha@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 20, 2012
            I've tried searching using all sorts of combinations of key words, but with no joy.

            Aprrox. 1 year ago, possibly longer, someone posted a link to another group whose member had made up a .kmz file for Google Earth that had the majority of stations and paths of the microwave comm system the US Military established up through Canada, over to Europe and Medeterranian, down through Turkey, into the mid and far east, circa the mid 60's post Cuban Missile crisis, that was then phased out when solid sat comm became available. The file also had some Soviet block networks on it. All were located on mountain tops ( or what passed for mountain tops in those areas ) since it was line of sight. The network dealt with teletype and telephone circuits and consisted of USA, USAF and USN stations.

            A virus required a clean install and my saved places in my back up files did not seem to all make the trip.

            Thanks for any help,

            Regards, Ronzo

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 20, 2012
              On 11/20/12 3:48 PM, rojoha@... wrote:

              > Aprrox. 1 year ago, possibly longer, someone posted a link to another
              > group whose member had made up a .kmz file for Google Earth that had the
              > majority of stations and paths of the microwave comm system the US
              > Military established up through Canada, over to Europe and
              > Medeterranian, down through Turkey, into the mid and far east, circa the
              > mid 60's post Cuban Missile crisis

              ISTM that was troposcatter links..... if that helps.

              [ps: crashplan.com]
            • widebandit
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 20, 2012
                Try these:
                <http://www.usarmygermany.com/Sont.htm?http&&&www.usarmygermany.com/Units/USAFE%20Units/USAREUR_HqUSAFE%201.htm>

                <http://rammstein.dfmk.hu/~s200/tropo.html>

                - waw -

              • rojoha@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 21, 2012
                  Hi guys!

                  Yes, Dave it was the tropo system, total typing/ brain disconnect and

                  WAW, BINGO!

                  Though this isn't the page it was linked to originally, it did provide the .kmz file for download.

                  < http://rammstein.dfmk.hu/~s200/tropo.html > and at the very bottom of the page is  ' Download for Google Earth  Tropo.kmz '

                      I've got an Uncle coming over for Turkey Day who was stationed in Germany, Italy, Turkey, Thailand and Japan  who was involved i n the systems and enquired of me I if I still had tha t Google Earth program with his sites on it. It will make his day.

                  Thank You all!

                  Regards, Ronzo