Re: [coldwarcomms] Fake Scenic Murals in Underground Locations.

  • Mike Doughney
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2012
      The Diefenbunker has one in the cafeteria.

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/ciaochow/4673027594/

      also in the rec room:

      http://www.blackflash.ca/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/04-diefenbunker-rec-room.jpg

      goldsmithtim wrote:

      > A friend of mine has an opportunity to examine a rolled up copy of a
      > scenic "nature" mural/poster that was original to the Greenbriar bunker.
      >
      > I was noticing on the page for the Chesterfield MA ATT facility a
      > "scenic mural" on a photo most of the way down the page.
      > http://coldwar-ct.com/ATT_Chesterfield.html
      >
      > I know a number of people on this group have spent time in military
      > and civilian underground locations and was wondering how common it was
      > and where else they did this? Was it a common practice in breakrooms?
      > Did ATT follow military practice? Or was it an ATT human factors
      > practice that was incorporated in military or government facilities?
      > Did it help at all?
      >
      > It would be cool to see a few other examples if you know of other
      > photos. Presumably they would show scenes representative of the location??
      >
      > Thanks!
      > Tim G.

    • goldsmithtim
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 2, 2012
        Hey funny!
        One of my questions answered...the Diefenbunker cafeteria mural is the same as the one at Chesterfield Mass!
        Thanks!
        Would love more examples is anyone knows of any.

        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Mike Doughney <mike@...> wrote:

        > The Diefenbunker has one in the cafeteria.
        >
        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/ciaochow/4673027594/
        >
        > also in the rec room:
        >
        > http://www.blackflash.ca/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/04-diefenbunker-rec-room.jpg
        >

        > goldsmithtim wrote:
        > >

        > > A friend of mine has an opportunity to examine a rolled up copy of a
        > > scenic "nature" mural/poster that was original to the Greenbriar bunker.
        > >
        > > I was noticing on the page for the Chesterfield MA ATT facility a
        > > "scenic mural" on a photo most of the way down the page.
        > > http://coldwar-ct.com/ATT_Chesterfield.html
        > >
        > > I know a number of people on this group have spent time in military
        > > and civilian underground locations and was wondering how common it was
        > > and where else they did this? Was it a common practice in breakrooms?
        > > Did ATT follow military practice? Or was it an ATT human factors
        > > practice that was incorporated in military or government facilities?
        > > Did it help at all?
        > >
        > > It would be cool to see a few other examples if you know of other
        > > photos. Presumably they would show scenes representative of the location??
        > >
        > > Thanks!
        > > Tim G.

      • robin edgerton
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 2, 2012
          i thought i saw one in the photosets from the jamesburg earth station a few
          months ago, but I can't find it again (and i have terrible internet svc
          from the hurricane)...you might find one there.

          -robin

          On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 4:48 PM, goldsmithtim <goldsmithtim@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Hey funny!
          > One of my questions answered...the Diefenbunker cafeteria mural is the
          > same as the one at Chesterfield Mass!
          > Thanks!
          > Would love more examples is anyone knows of any.
          >

          > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Mike Doughney <mike@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > The Diefenbunker has one in the cafeteria.
          > >
          > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/ciaochow/4673027594/
          > >
          > > also in the rec room:
          > >

          > http://www.blackflash.ca/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/04-diefenbunker-rec-room.jpg
          > >

          > > goldsmithtim wrote:
          > > >

          > > > A friend of mine has an opportunity to examine a rolled up copy of a
          > > > scenic "nature" mural/poster that was original to the Greenbriar
          > bunker.
          > > >
          > > > I was noticing on the page for the Chesterfield MA ATT facility a
          > > > "scenic mural" on a photo most of the way down the page.
          > > > http://coldwar-ct.com/ATT_Chesterfield.html
          > > >
          > > > I know a number of people on this group have spent time in military
          > > > and civilian underground locations and was wondering how common it was
          > > > and where else they did this? Was it a common practice in breakrooms?
          > > > Did ATT follow military practice? Or was it an ATT human factors
          > > > practice that was incorporated in military or government facilities?
          > > > Did it help at all?
          > > >
          > > > It would be cool to see a few other examples if you know of other
          > > > photos. Presumably they would show scenes representative of the
          > location??
          > > >
          > > > Thanks!
          > > > Tim G.

          _,.-~*�~-.,_
          robin edgerton
          edgertor@...
          646-369-5996
          *�~-.,__,.-~*

        • Mike Doughney
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 2, 2012
            They say it's a picture of the "Alberta countryside" according to the
            caption on this photo:

            http://www.flickr.com/photos/19445635@N00/3391535111

            But it turns up... in what appears to be a San Francisco coffee shop, so
            it's probably some stock mural of the time.

            http://marthanowill.blogspot.com/2011/11/nem-tudo-em-mim-se-encaixa.html

            I love Google image search... I found these two by cropping the mural
            from the first photo I linked and uploading it into the search.

            When I toured the Diefenbunker I recall another mural in the cafeteria,
            which I can't find a photo of, that was of a mountain scene that the
            tour guide assumed I would recognize; not being Canadian or having yet
            been to that part of Canada, I didn't.

            goldsmithtim wrote:

            > Hey funny!
            > One of my questions answered...the Diefenbunker cafeteria mural is the
            > same as the one at Chesterfield Mass!
            > Thanks!
            > Would love more examples is anyone knows of any.
            >
            > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:coldwarcomms%40yahoogroups.com>, Mike Doughney <mike@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > The Diefenbunker has one in the cafeteria.
            > >
            > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/ciaochow/4673027594/
            > >
            > > also in the rec room:
            > >

            > http://www.blackflash.ca/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/04-diefenbunker-rec-room.jpg
            > >

            > > goldsmithtim wrote:
            > > >

            > > > A friend of mine has an opportunity to examine a rolled up copy of a
            > > > scenic "nature" mural/poster that was original to the Greenbriar
            > bunker.
            > > >
            > > > I was noticing on the page for the Chesterfield MA ATT facility a
            > > > "scenic mural" on a photo most of the way down the page.
            > > > http://coldwar-ct.com/ATT_Chesterfield.html
            > > >
            > > > I know a number of people on this group have spent time in military
            > > > and civilian underground locations and was wondering how common it
            > was
            > > > and where else they did this? Was it a common practice in breakrooms?
            > > > Did ATT follow military practice? Or was it an ATT human factors
            > > > practice that was incorporated in military or government facilities?
            > > > Did it help at all?
            > > >
            > > > It would be cool to see a few other examples if you know of other
            > > > photos. Presumably they would show scenes representative of the
            > location??
            > > >
            > > > Thanks!
            > > > Tim G.

          • Nathaniel D. Watson
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 4, 2012
              Here are a couple examples from the Clarksville, NY L4 site:

              http://www.coldwarcomms.org/l5/clarksville/DSC00700.JPG

              http://www.coldwarcomms.org/l5/clarksville/DSC00713.JPG

              The Shuttle mural is my favorite.

              Nathan

              > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "goldsmithtim" <goldsmithtim@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> A friend of mine has an opportunity to examine a rolled up copy of a scenic
              >> "nature" mural/poster that was original to the Greenbriar bunker.
              >>
              >> I was noticing on the page for the Chesterfield MA ATT facility a "scenic
              >> mural" on a photo most of the way down the page.
              >> http://coldwar-ct.com/ATT_Chesterfield.html
              >>
              >> I know a number of people on this group have spent time in military and
              >> civilian underground locations and was wondering how common it was and where
              >> else they did this? Was it a common practice in breakrooms? Did ATT follow
              >> military practice? Or was it an ATT human factors practice that was
              >> incorporated in military or government facilities? Did it help at all?
              >>
              >> It would be cool to see a few other examples if you know of other photos.
              >> Presumably they would show scenes representative of the location??
              >>
              >> Thanks!
              >> Tim G.

            • Craig Scott
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 5, 2012
                That first one could easily be a big picture window!  Lots of deer up in the Heldebergs!  Not too far from all the local TV transmitters either.
                Dred
                Watervliet NY

                ________________________________
                Here are a couple examples from the Clarksville, NY L4 site:

                http://www.coldwarcomms.org/l5/clarksville/DSC00700.JPG

                http://www.coldwarcomms.org/l5/clarksville/DSC00713.JPG

                The Shuttle mural is my favorite.

                Nathan

                > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "goldsmithtim" <goldsmithtim@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> A friend of mine has an opportunity to examine a rolled up copy of a scenic
                >> "nature" mural/poster that was original to the Greenbriar bunker.
                >>
                >> I was noticing on the page for the Chesterfield MA ATT facility a "scenic
                >> mural" on a photo most of the way down the page.
                >> http://coldwar-ct.com/ATT_Chesterfield.html
                >>
                >> I know a number of people on this group have spent time in military and
                >> civilian underground locations and was wondering how common it was and where
                >> else they did this? Was it a common practice in breakrooms? Did ATT follow
                >> military practice? Or was it an ATT human factors practice that was
                >> incorporated in military or government facilities? Did it help at all?
                >>
                >> It would be cool to see a few other examples if you know of other photos.
                >> Presumably they would show scenes representative of the location??
                >>
                >> Thanks!
                >> Tim G.

              • Robin Fry
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 7, 2012
                  Back when ITT ran the Dewline, most sites had a large mural in the dining
                  area as well as possibly in one of the common areas.

                  Given the view in the summer was rocks and in the winter snow, they were
                  appreciated.

                  I probably have pictures somewhere but would have to dig out my slides to
                  find any.

                  Robin K. Fry