silent circle (was: Re: [coldwarcomms] Digest Number 4254

  • doug humphrey
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2012
      On Oct 24, 2012, at 5:44 AM, coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Janke assembled what he calls an „all-star team‰: Phil Zimmerman, a recent
      > inductee to the Internet‚s Hall of
      > Fame<http://www.internethalloffame.org/official-biography-philip-zimmermann>,
      > who in 1991 invented PGP encryption, still considered the standard for
      > email security<http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/definition/Pretty-Good-Privacy>.
      > Jon Callas, the man behind Apple‚s whole-disk encryption (which is used to
      > secure hard drives in Macs across the world), became Silent Circle‚s chief
      > technology officer. Other employees were top engineers and
      > ex-special-forces communications experts based in England, Latvia, and
      > Germany. Together, they designed their own software, created a new
      > encryption protocol called SCimp, registered their company offshore and
      > outside U.S. jurisdiction, then built up their own network in Canada. (They
      > eventually plan to expand to Switzerland and Hong Kong.)

      these are stand up guys. in some ways, this is what has some people upset.
      these are all guys with huge reputations at stake, I know one or more of them
      personally, in one case since college days, absolutely fantastic reputations
      all of them - which means they might actually have the credibility to pull this
      off.

      the number of people/organizations in the world who do NOT want you to have
      secure comms is large.....

      In fairness, Silent Circle does NOT solve all problems, traffic analysis is still
      possible, especially if someone is under close observation, and the entire Silent
      Circle system can be placed under this level of observation given the power of
      the people/organizations who may want to do make such a large scale effort.....

      it will be very interesting to watch this and see where it goes!

      doug