COMPASS LINK

  • mrcaknowles
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 23, 2012
      As a photogrammetric cartographic analyst for the USAF from 1970 - 1974, I spent '72 and '73 at Hickam AFB in Hawaii. We provided intelligence support for Linebacker I and Linebacker II. At the 548th Recconnaissance and Technical Group our most intense work during that period came in the Spring of 1973 when President Nixon ordered the mining of Haiphong Harbor (Operation Pocket Money). We were on 24-hour call. Each morning sorties would take off from Ubon Royal Thai AFB. After the bombing runs they were followed by RF4Cs with belly-mounted recce cameras. The films were developed back at the base and uploaded to a satellite in geosynchronous orbit over the Pacific, part of the COMPASS LINK system. They were down loaded to a satellite station on the Northwest shore of Oahu and then transmitted to the 548th. We would update the air target charts every day and send them back the way the photos had come in in time for the morning briefings at Ubon the next morning.