EMP stuff Re: [coldwarcomms] Digest Number 4233

  • doug humphrey
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 24, 2012
      On Sep 24, 2012, at 2:49 PM, coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > 1g. Re: STARFISH PRIME and Telstar 1.
      > Posted by: "widebandit" widebandit@... widebandit
      > Date: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:49 am ((PDT))
      >
      > The gamma ray pulse of a nuclear detonation near a fiber-optic cable will cause the glass to become opaque for a period of time and it will probably not recover to full transparency; not to mention the EMP effect on all those vandal-proof but otherwise un-hardened repeater huts - waw -

      the key word here is "near" - the EMP blasts that people are worrying here are
      not "near" the glass that we are talking about - that stuff is at (or under) ground
      level. You can't have it both ways. Ground burst severely limits the scope of an
      EMP effect, you need altitude to get widespread effect.

      a nuke strike profile designed for EMP (i.e. at altitude) will have zero effect on
      ground level fiber optics.

      doug
    • widebandit
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 27, 2012
        <http://www.its.bldrdoc.gov/publications/2251.aspx>

        - waw -

        > > The gamma ray pulse of a nuclear detonation near a fiber-optic cable will cause the glass to become opaque for a period of time and it will probably not recover to full transparency; not to mention the EMP effect on all those vandal-proof but otherwise un-hardened repeater huts - waw -
        >
        > the key word here is "near" - the EMP blasts that people are worrying here are
        > not "near" the glass that we are talking about - that stuff is at (or under) ground
        > level. You can't have it both ways. Ground burst severely limits the scope of an
        > EMP effect, you need altitude to get widespread effect.
        >
        > a nuke strike profile designed for EMP (i.e. at altitude) will have zero effect on
        > ground level fiber optics.
        >
        > doug

      • Boardwalk One
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 30, 2012
          .....Before Perl Harbor we were later told we new it was coming. Then we were told how we didn't believe it could ever happen to us. Then, it could have been avoided.

          Then September 11, 2001- We were told we new it was coming. Then we were told how we didn't believe it could ever happen to us. Then it could have been avoided.

          But here is what bothers me. During the Cold War, the government put billions of dollars into the Civil Defense System and the military.
          There were fallout shelters and places to go for safety should the balloon go up. Hardened communications placed into service,
          flyers printed and training for the public to know what to do, where to go and how to survive.
          Then it never happened, but came very close three or four times IIRC.

          Then 9/11 came and passed. Nothing really has happened since so we think the world is entirely safe and we have completely let our guard down.
          It took 10 years to plan 9/11 and it may take another ten for the next attack to come, until now. We are on the verge of a worldwide economical collapse,
          Last week there were 14 countries protesting against the US. France and Germany have evacuated embassies.
          Syria is testing chemical and bio weapons on their own people. Israel pre-emptive strike against Iran, the US will take a side, then the UN, China, Russia, NATO etc.

          Now most of the Muslims wants to destroy us in one way or another......and I believe the EMP attack will come.

          Then we will be told how we knew it was coming. Then we will be told how we didn't believe it could ever happen to us. Then it could have been avoided. SORRY TOO LATE.

          Are we so arrogant that we do not see this? Why not plan for this as the soviets and Chinese are?
          They are building underground bunkers for whole communities, communications, food, water etc. But we do nothing.

          THIS goes back to my first post. There has got to be US war planning scenarios already conducted for an EMP attack. Think about it......

          1. A nuclear device weighing xxx kilotons detonated xxx miles over xxx cities would result in xxx casualties in the first hour, then after 8 hours , 24 hours, one week, two weeks .....1 year.

          2. Multiple nuclear devices weighing xxx megatons detonated xxx miles over xxxx cities would result in xxx casualties in the first hour, then after 8 hours , 24 hours, one week, two weeks .....1 year.

          just plug in the next variable and see the result. HEMP ATTACK MATRIX?
          We have all read the books, spent searching on the internet, read the reports.
          This is my point.

          Has there ever been anything like this performed by our military or civilian scientists?

          Please serious replies only.

          Roger~
          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "widebandit" <widebandit@...> wrote:

          > <http://www.its.bldrdoc.gov/publications/2251.aspx>
          >
          > - waw -
          >

          > > > The gamma ray pulse of a nuclear detonation near a fiber-optic cable will cause the glass to become opaque for a period of time and it will probably not recover to full transparency; not to mention the EMP effect on all those vandal-proof but otherwise un-hardened repeater huts - waw -
          > >
          > > the key word here is "near" - the EMP blasts that people are worrying here are
          > > not "near" the glass that we are talking about - that stuff is at (or under) ground
          > > level. You can't have it both ways. Ground burst severely limits the scope of an
          > > EMP effect, you need altitude to get widespread effect.
          > >
          > > a nuke strike profile designed for EMP (i.e. at altitude) will have zero effect on
          > > ground level fiber optics.
          > >
          > > doug

        • Tim
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 30, 2012
            On 9/30/2012 6:23 PM, Boardwalk One wrote:
            > (rant deleted)
            >
            > Has there ever been anything like this performed by our military or
            > civilian scientists?

            Yes. Are you happy now?

          • Mike Cowen
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 30, 2012
              At 05:23 PM 9/30/2012, you wrote:

              [snip]
              >Has there ever been anything like this performed by our military or
              >civilian scientists?

              Without question, at least as much calculation as you question has
              been done. As for underground communities, well, let me just restate
              an oft repeated comment by a friend. 'Liberty and "justice" for
              all. "JUST US"...' We have established Continuity of Government
              (CoG) plans and facilities, NOT 'Continuity of Civilization' plans or
              facilities. To quote the preacher in "Blazing Saddles", 'Son, you're
              on your own...'

              Mike

              and selfless acts of beauty.
              mcowen@... -Anonymous
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 30, 2012
                On 10/1/12 1:03 AM, Mike Cowen wrote:

                >> >Has there ever been anything like this performed by our military or
                >> >civilian scientists?

                > Without question, at least as much calculation as you question has
                > been done. As for underground communities, well, let me just restate
                > an oft repeated comment by a friend. 'Liberty and "justice" for
                > all. "JUST US"...' We have established Continuity of Government
                > (CoG) plans and facilities, NOT 'Continuity of Civilization' plans or
                > facilities. To quote the preacher in "Blazing Saddles", 'Son, you're
                > on your own...'

                Mr. President, we must not allow a mineshaft gap!
              • Mike Cowen
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 30, 2012
                  At 10:08 PM 9/30/2012, you wrote:

                  > > Without question, at least as much calculation as you question has
                  > > been done. As for underground communities, well, let me just restate
                  > > an oft repeated comment by a friend. 'Liberty and "justice" for
                  > > all. "JUST US"...' We have established Continuity of Government
                  > > (CoG) plans and facilities, NOT 'Continuity of Civilization' plans or
                  > > facilities. To quote the preacher in "Blazing Saddles", 'Son, you're
                  > > on your own...'
                  > >

                  >Mr. President, we must not allow a mineshaft gap!

                  LOL! Amen, brother!!

                  and selfless acts of beauty.
                  mcowen@... -Anonymous