Re: [coldwarcomms] Re: STARFISH PRIME and Telstar 1.

  • Radioman390@cs.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 24 4:43 AM
      I think that a "friendly EMP" detonation is likely over the US when the economy implodes and the government needs to defuse any organized insurrection against it. A side-benefit is that an EMP will likely erase virtually all proof of crimes, and halt payment of entitlements such as Social Security, not to mention wiping out wealth which is in the form of electronic ledger entries.
      But if this sounds like the ravings of a lunatic, then the question remains what is being done to prepare for such an event?  BTW the same effects would be created by a very large solar flare.

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 24 5:01 AM
        I understand your concerns here and also understand our military warplans on likely scenarios, combining variables and trending results. I think I have read the same books as everyone else.

        Can anyone share information on what the government sees the casualty rate would be and how this country would function after a EMP attack. After one week, one month, six months, one year? Or are they still thinking the only attack would be conventional nuke, dirty bomb or biological. Imagine the terror if the Feds came out and told the population this could not be prevented, predicted or defended against.

        So thinking on the survivability of out communications network, are fiber optic networks, and wireless systems effected by EMP?

        R~

        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Radioman390@... wrote:

        > I think that a "friendly EMP" detonation is likely over the US when the economy implodes and the government needs to defuse any organized insurrection against it. A side-benefit is that an EMP will likely erase virtually all proof of crimes, and halt payment of entitlements such as Social Security, not to mention wiping out wealth which is in the form of electronic ledger entries.
        > But if this sounds like the ravings of a lunatic, then the question remains what is being done to prepare for such an event?  BTW the same effects would be created by a very large solar flare.

      • Nathan Watson
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 24 5:40 AM
          Fiber optic transmission lines themselves are immune to EMP, but the vulnerability is active electronics at each end of the line. Electronics can be hardened by enclosing in a Faraday cage (shielding).

          Wireless transmission would certainly be vulnerable during the EMP event, even if the transmitter & receiver electronics were shielded.

          Nathan

          On Sep 24, 2012, at 8:01 AM, "Boardwalk One" <roger.hendrixson@...> wrote:

          > So thinking on the survivability of out communications network, are fiber optic networks, and wireless systems effected by EMP?
          >
          > R~

        • widebandit
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 24 11:29 AM

            For those inevitable monster URLs, it would really be a help if you would either go to <http://tinyurl.com/> or enclose them with < >
            <http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2012/07/09/the-50th-anniversary-of-starfish-prime-the-nuke-that-shook-the-world/>

            - waw -

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 24 11:36 AM
              On 9/24/12 2:29 PM, widebandit wrote:

              > For those inevitable monster URLs, it would really be a help if you
              > would either go to<http://tinyurl.com/> or enclose them with< >
              > <http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2012/07/09/the-50th-anniversary-of-starfish-prime-the-nuke-that-shook-the-world/>

              WhatHeSaid....
            • widebandit
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 24 11:49 AM
                The gamma ray pulse of a nuclear detonation near a fiber-optic cable will cause the glass to become opaque for a period of time and it will probably not recover to full transparency; not to mention the EMP effect on all those vandal-proof but otherwise un-hardened repeater huts - waw -

              • COURYHOUSE@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 24 11:53 AM
                  yes.... is was an era after the EMP where things returned to
                  Barberism....

                  yes.... they all became.... BARBERS! <grin>

                  Ed!

                  --- In _coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com)
                  , Nathan Watson <watson061502@...> wrote:

                  > Fiber optic transmission lines themselves are immune to EMP, but the
                  vulnerability is active electronics at each end of the line. Electronics can
                  be hardened by enclosing in a Faraday cage (shielding).

                  > Wireless transmission would certainly be vulnerable during the EMP
                  event, even if the transmitter & receiver electronics were shielded.

                  > Nathan
                  >

                  > On Sep 24, 2012, at 8:01 AM, "Boardwalk One" <roger.hendrixson@...>
                  wrote:

                  > > So thinking on the survivability of out communications network, are
                  fiber optic networks, and wireless systems effected by EMP?

                  > > R~

                • boardwalkinfo
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 24 6:42 PM
                    Thanks- Great info.

                    I'd like to find more about an earlier post here on coldwarcomms referring to an EMP test where the freighter was scuttled. Military planners wargame these senarios all the time, and I am not convinced the results of an EMP attack has never been conceived here in the US. Call it EMP After Action Report, EMP Casualty Report, 360 Days After EMP etc.

                    We have all researched how an EMP works, although this is not what I am trying to find out here. Just the results after such an attack, but not from a book....an actual report on what the US could expect after such an attack.

                    R~

                    --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "widebandit" <widebandit@...> wrote:

                    > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, COURYHOUSE@ wrote:
                    > >
                    > > _http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2012/07/09/the-50th-annivers
                    > > ary-of-starfish-prime-the-nuke-that-shook-the-world/_
                    > >
                    > For those inevitable monster URLs, it would really be a help if you would either go to <http://tinyurl.com/> or enclose them with < >
                    > <http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2012/07/09/the-50th-anniversary-of-starfish-prime-the-nuke-that-shook-the-world/>
                    >
                    > - waw -
                    > >
                    > > here is something on the 50th of starfish prine
                    > >

                    > > In a message dated 9/23/2012 8:11:49 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
                    > > roger.hendrixson@ writes:
                    > >
                    > > I am reading about the nuclear test Starfish Prime and it explains the
                    > > test took out Telstar 1.
                    > >
                    > > The book is named 77 Days in September.
                    > >
                    > > This is a follow up on books "Lights Out" and "One Second After".
                    > >
                    > > The congressional reports 2001, 2004 and 2008 all speak about the launch
                    > > from a freighter. An earlier post here on coldwarcomms refers to a test such
                    > > as this where the vessle was scuttled.
                    > >
                    > > Does anyone know what the results of this test?

                  • BobS
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 25 3:11 AM
                      A quick Google search produces these as relevant US and UK reports:

                      http://www.empcommission.org/docs/A2473-EMP_Commission-7MB.pdf

                      http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201012/cmselect/cmdfence/1925/192504.htm

                      regards,

                      Bob