Teletype Communication for The Deaf display.....

  • COURYHOUSE@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27, 2012
      We are a bit scarce as this month we buried on a Teletype for other
      uses display building project.

      As many of you know, Teletypes were used by the Deaf community to open
      up the telephone lines to them using affordable acoustic couplers. Prior
      to that a deaf person had to subscribe to an expensive telephone company
      provided teletype service, Same as an industrial company would use. This
      of course was cost prohibitive to may people in the Deaf community.

      We are scurrying around to gather several example of Mechanical
      teletypes for the display and also some of the earl acoustic couplers and then
      onto the follow up early more portable electronic tty/tdd devices.

      I have some photo of people with Teletype model 19's and 28 ASR units
      in their living rooms and THAT WOULD BE GOOD FOR A DISPLAY as it shows a
      factor of size.

      Any hardware, memory write-ups on helping refurbish these for the
      community, books, posters, handbills, copies of GA-SK are needed drop us a
      note off list...

      I have learned so much on this project so far! - see us at
      _www.smecc.org_ (http://www.smecc.org/)

      Many Thanks Ed Sharpe archivist for SMECC KF7RWW
      (used to be Ground Radio Maint and MARS Operator in 70's Luke AFB)
      623 435 1522 (voice)