L3I to Mojave CA

  • long-lines@att.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 13, 2001
      I have been in contact with a number of individuals
      regarding a L3I carrier cable that was installed from
      the east coast to Mojave CA in the mid 60's.

      My question to the group is: Does anyone have
      documentation as to exact where the eastern terminus
      (es?) were?

      I have have heard three answers:
      1. Airmont NY
      2. Greenbelt MD
      3. Monrovia MD
      Now I have my guesses, but it's like trying to see
      clearly through a 30-year old coke bottle.

      Any references to any documents on-line (or otherwise)
      from reliable sources that shed light on this question
      would be greatly appreciated.

      Chad Perkins
      This is a private history / research account
      and is no way related to AT&T in any way other
      than the fact I give them money every month.
    • ozob99@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 14, 2001
        --- In coldwarcomms@y..., Harold Peach <hpeach@p...> wrote:
        > At 04:44 AM 11/14/2001 +0000, you wrote:
        > >My question to the group is: Does anyone have
        > >documentation as to exact where the eastern terminus
        > >(es?) were?
        > >
        > >I have have heard three answers:
        > >1. Airmont NY
        > >2. Greenbelt MD
        > >3. Monrovia MD
        > >Now I have my guesses, but it's like trying to see
        > >clearly through a 30-year old coke bottle.
        >
        > 1. The eastern terminus was originally Airmont, New York. There is
        little
        > (really no) doubt of this. Construction began in late 1959/early
        1960 and
        > moved west over the next 3 years. Documentation: Deeds, newspaper
        > clippings, maps, interviews, correspondence.
        >
        > 2. Greenbelt was not on the L3I route. Check with Mark Foster; he
        had some
        > correspondence related to this. I believe Greenbelt indirectly
        connected to
        > the route via a microwave or a branch line to Monrovia.
        >
        > 3. There is no evidence Airmont's status as the eastern L3I
        terminus ever
        > changed. Later maps still show the route going to Airmont and
        Pottstown as
        > an AUTOVON site (as late as 1989). However, two factors may have
        caused the
        > focus to shift to Monrovia:
        > 1.) The build-out of AT&T's hardened network. Other L4 and L5
        routes
        > virtually paralleled the L3I in the northeast region between
        Monrovia,
        > Pottstown, and Airmont. One of these routes ran through Monrovia.
        Monrovia
        > probably became the place where much of the traffic from the L3I
        passed to
        > the N-S L4/5.
        >
        > 2.) The addition of branch routes at Airmont in the years following
        the
        > construction of the L3I. As these routes were added, the
        distinction
        > between the L3I and these other routes probably blurred. Airmont
        did not
        > look like the "end of something" anymore and certainly was not the
        place
        > where most traffic would enter the backbone.
        > There is another thing that plays into Monrovia's prominence. I
        believe
        > that the entire motivation for building the L3I was to link the
        Washington
        > area with the Cheyenne Mountain complex. In such a role, Monrovia
        would
        > connect the Washington defense infrastructure with the missile
        defense
        > infrastructure being developed at that time in the west.

        I concur in your answers,I've researched the isssue & there was no L3
        cable into Greenbelt; the "Greenbelt" thing comes from NASA having
        many critical voice & wideband services going to Monrovia on radio &
        extending West on the Monrovia-Mojave section of the Airmont-Mojave
        cable.Monrovia was the Easternmost Main Station in Md. on the route.