Help save a local landmark tower

  • basim_jaber
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 13, 2012
      People often say that Long Lines and Cold War Comms towers are "unsightly" and they "disrupt the skyline/ridgeline". Quite the contrary. Towers like that are vital if not for their historical contributions, but for their commercial use in their afterlife (radio towers, etc).

      Well, a local landmark is about to meet the fate of the wrecking ball unless we can save it. I'm referring to the AN/FPS-24 Radar Tower on Mt. Umunhum (former Almaden Air Force Station).

      The Open Space District wants to demolish it. The landslide majority of the public wants to keep it.

      If you think it should stay, sign the online petition and show your support. It only takes 30 seconds to sign and you do not need to register on the petition web site for an account (unless you want to comment or "like" another comment).

      https://www.change.org/petitions/save-the-mt-umunhum-radar-tower

      There's been a ton of local media attention for this red hot topic.
      San Jose Mercury news has produced an alias web link to gather all the recent media.

      http://www.mercurynews.com/umunhum

      Let's show our support to prevent history from being wiped off the face of the Earth!

      --
      Basim Jaber
      Historian/Archivist - Almaden Air Force Station
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 23, 2013
        More on this site:

        sccgov.iqm2.com/Citizens/FileOpen.aspx?Type=30&ID=5869

        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "basim_jaber" <bjaber@...> wrote:

        > People often say that Long Lines and Cold War Comms towers are "unsightly" and they "disrupt the skyline/ridgeline". Quite the contrary. Towers like that are vital if not for their historical contributions, but for their commercial use in their afterlife (radio towers, etc).
        >
        > Well, a local landmark is about to meet the fate of the wrecking ball unless we can save it. I'm referring to the AN/FPS-24 Radar Tower on Mt. Umunhum (former Almaden Air Force Station).
        >
        > The Open Space District wants to demolish it. The landslide majority of the public wants to keep it.
        >
        > If you think it should stay, sign the online petition and show your support. It only takes 30 seconds to sign and you do not need to register on the petition web site for an account (unless you want to comment or "like" another comment).
        >
        > https://www.change.org/petitions/save-the-mt-umunhum-radar-tower
        >
        > There's been a ton of local media attention for this red hot topic.
        > San Jose Mercury news has produced an alias web link to gather all the recent media.
        >
        > http://www.mercurynews.com/umunhum
        >
        > Let's show our support to prevent history from being wiped off the face of the Earth!
        >
        > --
        > Basim Jaber
        > Historian/Archivist - Almaden Air Force Station
        > Founder - USAF 682nd Radar Squadron Veterans Association
        > www.AlmadenAFS.org

      • Matt Ashe
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 24, 2013
          Thanks for posting this.

          sccgov.iqm2.com/Citizens/FileOpen.aspx?Type=30&ID=5869

          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com <mailto:coldwarcomms%40yahoogroups.com>

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 8, 2014
            Another article on this site:

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 28, 2016