Re: Demolished L3 Hut

  • arkyjoe123
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 8, 2012
      I was in the Socorro, NM area in May sightseeing as well as checking out the old L-3 facilities. One destination was the VLA.I remember the last time I was there, 20 years ago,seeing both the tin L-3 rptrs and some fiber rptr bldgs along US-60. There are now only three fiber rptr bldgs left. If you look close in the pictures, you can see the slab of the L-3 hut in all three pictures. My guess is that these are still active sights and the hatch is still there, they just padlocked or welded the hatch.

      From Socorro went East on US-60 to Vaughn, NM. No sign of any L-3 remnants. Fiber optic bldgs looked much newer than route West of Socorro.

      Turned North on US-54 at Vaughn. Tin L-3 huts every 4 miles to Santa Rosa, NM. Sites right at edge of road ROW. Nice driveways, no gates, pulled right up to bldg. Took pictures of two huts and decided that's enough.

      Spotted site ahead with two bldgs. This one had locked gate, but still only barbed wire cattle fence and farm gate, unlike the chain link fences at the West sites. Couldn't resist the caption on the picture of the cows.

      Does anyone know the route the East L-3 cable took out of Socorro?
      Could it have taken US-380 to Carrizozo and up US-54 to Vaughn?
      I have been on US-54 between Santa Rosa, NM and El Paso several times and never noticed anything South of Vaughn. Vaughn to Carrizozo is the most rugged part of US-54 and would be easy to miss anything far from the road. Something to check closer next time.

      See Pictures in "AT&T Socorro NM revisited" album

      73, JOE W4YOI