Early Submarine Buoy Comms

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 13, 2012
    • charlie Fargis
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 13, 2012
        How they attached the antenna to the sail was via a device callled a Kellem's Grip. The woman who co invented it is pretty famous in income tax history.
        Cable people call them pulling eyes.
        Kids call them finger locks.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivien_Kellems

        To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
        From: ozob99@...
        Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 11:56:46 +0000
        Subject: [coldwarcomms] Early Submarine Buoy Comms

        http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a456631.pdf

      • Joe
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 14, 2012
          3a. Re: Early Submarine Buoy Comms
          Posted by: "charlie Fargis" lackey91@... ucfargis1
          Date: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:36 am ((PDT))

          How they attached the antenna to the sail was via a device callled a
          Kellem's Grip. The woman who co invented it is pretty famous in income
          tax history.
          Cable people call them pulling eyes.
          Kids call them finger locks.

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivien_Kellems
          Hello Charlie,

          My house sits on property that used to belong to Vivian Kellems. I
          believe it was Vivian's brother that invented the grip. Vivian never
          thought that the IRS treated single people fairly. She filed an income
          tax report every year, but never paid it. The property that I bought in
          1978 had a government lean on it, and that had to be paid off before I
          could purchase the property. When she died in 1975, the IRS was able to
          finally settle the tax bill by attaching her entire estate.

          Her house burned down several years ago late at night, a spectacular
          fire in this rural town of no fire hydrants. She is still remembered
          for her "sit-ins" at the old town hall voting booths. (Still has a wood
          stove) The town would have to add an extra booth for her and she would
          occupy it for hours in protest.

          Back around 1979 a contractor was digging a foundation hole for a new
          house around the corner from me. I heard a loud explosion, then the
          equipment shut down, so I went to investigate. There sat a physically
          shook up dozer operator shaking his head. We investigated the hole and
          found that a Reo flatbed farm truck was buried in the ground and the gas
          tank exploded. I asked the local historian about it and he told me that
          Vivian was pestered by her nephew for years. He wanted the truck. She
          finally had a local person dig a hole, drive the truck in the hole,
          leave the key in the ignition, and bury it. She then called here nephew
          and told him that he could have the truck and it was parked under the
          pine tree near the corner hay field with the key in it. He never called
          her again.

          She was quite a colorful character, I wish I had met her. My town is
          about 350 years old and has it's assortment of people like this. I've
          only lived here for about 35 years and have no family in the local
          cemetery, so I have no chance of being a real east Haddam resident.

          73, Joe, K1ike
          East Haddam, CT

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 26, 2013
            A 1971 operator's guide to BIAS buoy electronics:

            http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/746097.pdf