Re: Dual towers, how common?

  • allanbourdius@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 6, 2001
      Not always! The Troy Hill silo (AT #88265) north of Pittsburgh has a
      pair of KS horns on it. You can see them clearly in AT's photos of
      the site.

      Allan

      --- In coldwarcomms@y..., dsandow@g... wrote:
      > The whole design of the silo never contemplated the horn
      > reflector, with its bottom-feed. So you would have to put up a new
      > steel tower if you needed to upgrade to a horn reflector (for
      > improved performance) or raise the antenna (for obstruction
      > avoidance). But there was not a "transfer" of the horn reflectors.
    • Paul J Zawada
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 6, 2001
        > The whole design of the silo never contemplated the horn
        > reflector, with its bottom-feed. So you would have to put up a new
        > steel tower if you needed to upgrade to a horn reflector (for
        > improved performance) or raise the antenna (for obstruction
        > avoidance). But there was not a "transfer" of the horn reflectors.

        That's not necessarily so... I've seen many concrete silos that had
        short lattice structures added to the top to acommodate horns.
        Springfield, OH, off of I-70, immediately comes to mind as well as
        numerous towers along the Ohio Turnpike and Indiana Toll Road. (As
        someone else has already pointed out.) There must be some reason they
        didn't take the same approach at Catawba. You are right though...
        The Catawba Silo may have never seen horns since there is no remaining
        lattice structure on the silo... The guyed tower may have been there
        the day the horns arrived. Maybe it was an experiment to determine
        which way of conversion was better...

        > The waveguide bridge - it blows my mind. I suppose it would be
        > cheaper than building a new ground-level radio building to go with
        > the new tower, but that never stopped ATT. Is it still there?

        I have been by there in over a year, but I believe it's still there...
        I've been meaning to run over there to take some pictures; maybe I
        can do that in a couple of weeks...

        --zawada
      • albertjlafrance@cs.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 6, 2001
          Another example of a combined silo and lattice-tower station is Waggoners
          Gap, PA:

          http://radio.ee.psu.edu/td-th/Waggoners_Gap/Waggoner's_Gap.html

          Albert

          In a message dated 11/6/2001 8:44:41 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          paul_zawada@... writes:

          <SNIP>
          > Catawba, OH (West of Columbus) - This is a strange beast as this is a
          > concrete silo with a guyed lattice tower standing next to it. An ice
          > bridge was placed from the TOP of the silo to the lattice tower to
          > bring the waveguides from the lattice tower to the silo. (Obviously
          > this was because the radio equipement was at the top of the silo...)
          <SNIP>
        • Chris Ness
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 9, 2001
            On November 6, 2001 01:19 am, Pj wrote:
            > How common (or uncommon) were the use of dual towers on a site? I
            > personally only know of two towers, one in PA and one at Durham CT.
            > Any other large use of dual towers?

            Villa Rica, GA . Although one of them has been stripped of horns this Summer.
            It appears to the major connecting point for the west side of GA as well as a
            CO.
            --
            Chris Ness
            mailto:mness215@... All jobs are equally easy to
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 20, 2001
              Terry,

              Thanks - I'd seen the term "buck station" somewhere, but didn't understand
              what it meant until now.

              Albert