On PBS tonight (11/6/01): Russian Missiles

  • albertjlafrance@cs.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 6, 2001
      On "Nova", a look behind the scenes at Russia's largest missile installation.

      Albert
    • long-lines@att.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 7, 2001
        That was pretty cool. I was left wondering how long ago
        that piece what filmed; the clunky single line rotary
        phones were pretty prevalent.

        Chad Perkins

      • kemartin@snet.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 8, 2001
          Chad,

          The "spots" on TV said "scenes never before seen on TV". Yes, it was
          very interesting. As far a rotary phones go thats not necessarily a
          bad thing. If you consider rotary phones and step by step central
          (SXS) offices they are not as susceptible to an 'EM' pulse as digital
          phones and non RAD hardened equipment. Single line phones also have
          less to go wrong with them. Multil-line phones have more failure
          points like the KSU (Key Service Unit). At least with multiple
          single line phones if you have a failure you have more phones.

          Those mobile missile launchers were kind of scary. Now you see
          them, now you don't.

          Ken

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/