early digital fax Re: [coldwarcomms] Digest Number 4109

  • doug humphrey
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2012
      On Jun 7, 2012, at 6:45 AM, coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Thanks, fills in some of the blanks. I recall Codex gear & that's a possibility,and another member suggests Xerox involvement with the early machines.

      early digital fax was also sent via satellite for
      the intercity hops.

      xerox built a network (I forget the name now)
      that was to encompass the "NFL cities" with a
      central C band dish to send and receive faxes,
      and presumably using telco circuits or local
      microwave to move data around to their offices.

      Satellite Business Systems (SBS) did a less
      structured thing, and was more like a general
      carrier in that they were doing a lot of leased
      inter-city circuits. C band big dishes, local loop
      by the telcos, etc. SBS was part owned by IBM
      I am pretty sure.

      MCI did the same sort of thing too.

      doug