Re: WASHFAX

    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 6, 2012
      Looking further I found this reference to WASHFAX IV:

      "FY 1990 Planned Program:

      Make technical assessments for integration of the Survivable
      Communications Interface System (SCIS) into the NMCS.

      Implement WASHFAX IV proof-of-concept system."

      I'd guess today's iteration is a higher number.

      Another relevent snippet:

      "WashFax:A secure fax system intended for use within the D.C. Beltway"

      I doubt it's confined to the Beltway today.

      I was'nt familiar with SCIS, so here is one descriptive snippet:

      "
      The Survivable Communications Integration System (SCIS) is an automated communications and message processor that will use multiple communications and media to provide survivable, timely, reliable, and error-free delivery of critical missile warning information between sensor sites, correlation nodes, and forward users through stressed communications environments. The SCIS communications media is Commercial High-Speed (CHS), and MILSTAR. At the sensors, the SCIS will process ballistic missile Integrated Tactical Warning/Attack Assessment (ITW/AA) data (space data will be passed through but not processed), format the data into survivable message sets (if not already done by the sensor host computer), develop summary messages, transmit messages over multiple media, and provide message accountability. Also, SCIS will compare messages sent from the same source and eliminate duplicates. Refer to the Communications Component Plan for the existing SCIS Circuit specifics."

    • jhhaynes@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 6, 2012
        Back in the mid 1960s Teletype Corp. was heavily involved in what
        was known as [AT&T] Long Lines Project 176. The terminal equipment
        included Model 35 equipment operating at 110 baud, a high speed
        paper tape and printer set operating at 2400 baud, and fax machines
        for large-format black-and-white and for small photo quality images.
        All transmissions were encrypted and the stations were installed
        at secret locations.
      • Sam Etler
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 6, 2012
          On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 6:57 AM, OZOB99 <ozob99@...> wrote:

          > The Congressional Record & committee hearings sometimes have good topic info buried within, but difficult to wade through; is there a search feature within the congressional .GOV domains?

          I have access to Lexis Congressional which has a large number of
          hearings, the entire US Serial Set, Congressional Record, etc.
          digitized and searchable. It's unfortunately not publicly available.

          sam
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 6, 2012
            In the 1950's-60's, a client worked at the Civil Service Commission. They
            had most records at Boyers PA, now home to "Iron Mountain Corp." as well.

            They got a demo of an early Xerox machine to link to DC but the price was
            insane; and they stuck with their existing scheme, boxes checked on
            Greyhound Buses, for years.
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 6, 2012
              The Teletype Corp high speed ASR(inkjet) was at the project offices,Mt Weather,the Greenbrier & perhaps other COG locations; but the insiders I've asked don't recall details on the fax machine.

              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, jhhaynes@... wrote:

              > Back in the mid 1960s Teletype Corp. was heavily involved in what
              > was known as [AT&T] Long Lines Project 176. The terminal equipment
              > included Model 35 equipment operating at 110 baud, a high speed
              > paper tape and printer set operating at 2400 baud, and fax machines
              > for large-format black-and-white and for small photo quality images.
              > All transmissions were encrypted and the stations were installed
              > at secret locations.

            • Michael Cancellier
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 6, 2012
                You might want to look at this. This is an extract from DISA's FY12 budget docs:

                Crisis Management System (CMS): The CMS is owned and operated by the
                NSS but maintained by DISA under NSC direction and a National Security
                Decision Directive. The program provides state-of-the-art video
                teleconferencing (SVTS), Crisis Management Network (CMN), and the
                Executive Voice over Secure Internet Protocol (VoSIP) phone network
                (including the National Intelligence Watch Officers Network (NOIWON))
                to the President, Vice President, National Security Advisor, and
                others as directed by the NSS. The system functions in both fixed and
                mobile modes for exchange of time sensitive high interest information
                which extends the White House Situation Room presence. The system
                supports the President, National Security Council, Cabinet Members,
                Joint Chiefs, various agency watch centers, headquarters, and
                Continuity of Operations (COOP) sites. CMS funding provides
                maintenance, configuration management, certification and accreditation
                activities including system security monitoring and testing, and
                engineering support. The system provides real-time Top Secret
                Sensitive Compartmented Information (TS/SCI) secure video conference
                communications for the President and high level advisors including
                multi-party calls between fixed and mobile sites for day-to-day and
                crisis operations.

                Also, SCIS is long gone and has been replaced by the ITW/AA
                Communications Processing System (CPS) which has the same mission of
                providing missile warning data from sensor to shooter.

                --
                Mike Cancellier
                Cancellier@...
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 6, 2012
                  More on gov't fax; although dated 1990 & 1991 the gear was no doubt used in the latter days of the Cold War:

                  ANALYSIS OF GOVERNMENT FACSIMILE EQUIPMENT & NETWORKS

                  http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a243139.pdf

                  From a 1990 Ft Huachuca report:

                  "Abstract : The Secure Facsimile (AUTOVON), 2-wire and 4-wire, consists of Secure Facsimile Models 412-F or 412G, TSEC/KG-34, Modem FXM-40A series, Data Access Arrangement (2-wire), AUTOVON Control Unit-10 (4-wire), Telephone Set, 502 A/B, WECO 270-B Disconnect Device and transmit control box (4-wire). This Standard Engineering Installation Package (SEIP) assists project officers, logisticians, engineers, and technicians to program, procure, engineer, and install Secure Facsimile (AUTOVON). Document provides a system description with prerequisites that are essential for effective implementation of Secure Facsimile (AUTOVON). Document also provides necessary drawings and detail wiring instructions for a typical layout. SEIP includes bill of materials and operational test procedure."

> [...]
                  > > > are required to reimburse the Department of Defense for
                  > > > a portion of the one-time conversion cost and for the increase in
                  > > > annual recurring charges involved in the lease of terminal equipment,
                  > > > circuits and the Department's pro-rata share of the switch lease
                  > > > costs. A total of $161,200 is requested in fiscal year 1977 for
                  > > > one-time conversion costs ($119,200) and increased terminal equipment
                  > > > and circuit lease costs ($42,000)."
                  > > >
                  > > > Department of Housing and Urban Development; Independent Agencies
                  > > > Appropriations for 1987. Part 5: Federal Emergency Management Agency,
                  > > > p. 304 (SUDOC: Y4.Ap6/1:H81/2/987/pt.5)
                  > > >
                  > > > "lease of a Washington Area Secure facsimile (WASHFAX III) terminal
                  > > > which will provide the capability for access into the local secure
                  > > > facsimile network"
                  > > >
                  > > > This is interesting because it seems that the terminal equipment used

                • Steve
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 8, 2012
                    I have been reading the comments on WASHFAX with interest. At DCA in the 77- 79 time period we did develop and demonstrate the ability to send fax (photos and narrative) over AUTODIN. This capability was demonstrated over about an 18-month period to the CINCs by sending them the daily news summary (EARLY BIRD) prepared at the Pentagon. We picked up the news summary early each day (about 5AM East Coast time) and then sent it from DCA Code 532 in Arlington to the CINCs.

                    This automated fax capability over AUTODIN used JANAP 128 formatted messages with the fax data imbedded within the message. Each message was constrained to the AUTODIN maximum message length of 40,000 characters. If multiple messages were needed for the fax being sent, then multiple messages were prepared and sent from the originating terminal. For example, an 8 x 10 photo of a person (head and shoulders) would take from 5 to 6 separate AUTODIN messages. The terminal at the destination would sequence the individual AUTODIN messages into the correct order and the complete fax would be output.

                    AUTODIN was used to provide the store and forward message switching system that could be addressed to multiple addressees in a single fax transmission from the originating terminal.

                    As I recall our fax terminal at DCA associated with this AUTODIN service was comprised of a teletype model 40 interfaced to the AUTODIN switch (ASC) at Andrews AFB. The fully automated interface device was built around an Intel 8080 microprocessor that on one side worked with the fax machine, and on the other with the ASC to include the AUTODIN Mode I protocol. A Communications Center was not required and the originating or destination fax over AUTODIN terminal could be located in the user's operational or office space.

                    At this time we were also demonstrating direct AUTODIN user to user messaging capability using initially either WANG or Model 40-user equipment and a separate microprocessor controlled AUTODIN interface device. Once DCA Cat I, II and III certified, these terminals were used for numerous DSCS and GENSER purposes to include command and control, intell, warning, and administration throughout the government where AUTODIN access was available.

                    Steve Weatherly
                    Hq DCA Code 532
                    Arlington, VA 77-84
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 9, 2012
                      Good to know, thanks;you may wish to post this at Commcenter-1 group, lots of Autodin guys there.