1962 ELF Propagation Tests

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2012
      Using a 400HZ 175KW alternator & 10,000' antenna at Boron Ca:

      http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/404564.pdf

      I wonder if the alternator was a modified Alexanderson or a custom built unit for this experiment? and if there is anything left of this facility at Boron.
    • Tim
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2012
        I do not think it a coincidence that during this same time period,
        Strategic Air Command was defining requirements for the Survivable Low
        Frequency Communications System, and a few years later chose the old
        Victorville Army Air Field Auxillary Air Field #1 15 miles E of Boron,
        near Hawes Creek, as the location of one of the transmit stations.

        But unfortunately, the official references to the site being at or
        near Boron could also easily mean the property in question was part of
        Edwards AFB.

        Boron Air Force Station was in operation during the era, and near it
        was the mysterious Air Force Plant #72.

        Tim