Re: [coldwarcomms] Re: Dual towers, how common?

  • David Lesher
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 6, 2001
      Waldorf MD. I seem to recall seeing multiple towers there.

    • David Lesher
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 6, 2001
        Unnamed Administration sources reported that dsandow@... said:

        > The whole design of the silo never contemplated the horn
        > reflector, with its bottom-feed. So you would have to put up a new
        > steel tower if you needed to upgrade to a horn reflector (for
        > improved performance) or raise the antenna (for obstruction
        > avoidance). But there was not a "transfer" of the horn reflectors.

        I'm sure I've seen steel superstructure added to the top of silos
        such that they got more err antennas. (Skirting the "were they
        horns?" issue.) I am thinking of the one along the Ohio Turnpike
        east of Cleveland. I have the Lat/Long in my GPS still, I think.

      • joecheck@snet.net
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 6, 2001
          Oakdale (Montville) Connecticut comes to mind.

          Joe

          At 07:23 AM 11/6/01 , you wrote:
          >Message: 3
          > Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 06:19:51 -0000
          > From: "Pj" <packy41@...>
          >Subject: Dual towers, how common?
          >
          >How common (or uncommon) were the use of dual towers on a site? I
          >personally only know of two towers, one in PA and one at Durham CT.
          >Any other large use of dual towers?
        • Paul J Zawada
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 6, 2001
            --- In coldwarcomms@y..., "Pj" <packy41@y...> wrote:
            > How common (or uncommon) were the use of dual towers on a site? I
            > personally only know of two towers, one in PA and one at Durham CT.
            > Any other large use of dual towers?

            I can think of three installations off the top of my head:

            Montclair, IN (West of Indianapolis) - This was a major microwave
            installation with at least six paths. I'm not sure if a lot of
            muxing took place here... The building is a single story, approx.
            100'x60'. Big enought to house a lot of radio equipment but not
            enough to hold a lot of muxes and cross connects (unless there is an
            undeground floor). AMT site number #87772.

            Grant Park, IL (South of Chicago) - This was a major microwave and
            L3/L4 site that supported 7-8 microwave paths and 3-4 cables. Two
            story building with at least one or two floors underground. This
            would have been one of the major terminals for the Chicago area,
            handling the routes from the east and the south. I believe AT&T is
            still using the property for storage as there is a lot of outside
            plant (fiber) material stored at the site. (At least there was last
            time I was there a couple years ago...) AMT site nos. 87675 & 50263
            (They actually split this location into two sites. I think one of
            the towers is for sale or has been sold...)

            Catawba, OH (West of Columbus) - This is a strange beast as this is a
            concrete silo with a guyed lattice tower standing next to it. An ice
            bridge was placed from the TOP of the silo to the lattice tower to
            bring the waveguides from the lattice tower to the silo. (Obviously
            this was because the radio equipement was at the top of the silo...)
            The site was a repeater site (only two paths) and there are no
            antennas left on the silo... So I think they transferred the horns
            from the silo to the tower for some strange reason. Perhaps they
            needed the raise the antennas to fix a clearence problem. It would
            neat to be hear the story behind this one. This is probably not
            really what you were looking for in a "two tower" location, but I
            threw it in because it's so strange... AMT site no. 87928.

            I hope I got the details right... I'm typing this mainly from memory.

            --zawada
          • dsandow@garden.net
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 6, 2001
              --- In coldwarcomms@y..., "Pj" <packy41@y...> wrote:
              > How common (or uncommon) were the use of dual towers on a site? I
              > personally only know of two towers, one in PA and one at Durham CT.
              > Any other large use of dual towers?

              There are 4 circumstances where 2 towers are required.

              1. The first tower on the site was limited capacity. The very first
              route (Boston-Washington) used concrete towers - for rigidity - to
              prevent the tower from twisting in the wind. These were called
              "silos". The antenna deck was designed for the older "delay lens"
              antennas (a squat pyramid laid on its side), and could not physically
              accommodate the later horn reflectors. Further, there was only one
              antenna deck, so any additional routes through the repeater site
              could not be handled on the existing tower. By the time a second
              route was needed, the technology was steel towers and horn
              reflectors. Example of a silo and a steel tower side-by-side was
              Martinsville, NJ. (The silo was demolished in the '80s).

              2. Excessive weight/twisting. Colesville NJ was a major NYC junction.
              It had 8 routes (16 horns.) Just too much weight for 1 tower. (The
              added horns also added to the wind load, which increased the "sail
              area" of the tower, and increased the problem of the tower twisting
              in the wind.) The second tower was built right beside the first to
              share the load.

              3. The first tower was built high enough to carry antennas for the
              first route through the station. A later route required a higher
              tower. It's easy to hang additional antennas BELOW the top of an
              existing tower, but not easy to hang them ABOVE the top. The
              alternatives were to build a monopole extension (probably not good
              for much more than 20-40 feet due to wind-twist), OR to build a
              second tower higher than the first (again, Colesville, NJ).

              4. The most insidious reason for 2 towers is the alternating
              frequency plan. The available bandwidth was divided into "A" and "B"
              frequencies. A given station would transmit on the "A" frequencies
              and receive the "B" frequencies. This prevented RF crosstalk between
              the transmitters and receivers at the same station. (see more below).

              Now if my station transmits on "A" and receives on "B", then all the
              surrounding stations must be "B" transmitters, and so on forever. If
              you count all the hops on all the routes between - say - NY and
              Chicago, you will find that the hop count for every possible route is
              either an odd or an even number, because NY had to be an "A" station
              for all its routes, and CHI had to be a "whatever" station for all
              its routes. All the adjacent stations on all routes had to conform to
              the alternating pattern - ocean-to-ocean.

              In the case of NYC (call it "A"), all the adjacent repeaters (Jackie
              Jones, Green Pond, Martinsville, Iselin, Highlands) had to be "B"
              sites.

              So what happens if the alternation "slips", and a new route is built
              that would directly connect 2 adjacent "A" stations. It can't be
              done. You either have to build an intermediate station (2 short hops)
              to keep the plan straight, OR you build a second tower somewhere.

              An example of this is Green Pond, NJ. The first route was E-W
              (NY-Colesville-Jennerstown and points west.) Green Pond was the first
              hop out of NYC ("A" freq transmitters), so it used "B" freq
              transmitters. Then, someone decided to build a bypass around NYC. It
              connected Martinsville - Green Pond - Jackie Jones, ALL "B" stations.
              Something had to give. In this case, a new "A" station was built at
              Green Pond. It was really a separate station more than 500 ft from
              the existing. It was named Green Pond #2. Fortunately, the "B"
              transmit antennas at Green Pond #1 were pointing east-west and the
              "B" receive antennas at Green Pond #2 were pointing N-S, and the new
              tower was sited so that the receive antennas did not point at the old
              tower, so they got away with it. (And saved the zoning hassle of
              finding a different mountaintop in suburban NJ.)

              Green Pond #2 was absolutely a separate station from Green Pond #1.
              The only thing they share is a driveway. Even the alarms went to two
              different places - because the two towers belonged to 2 separate
              routes. There was no capability to do resoration patching between
              the two buildings. Just 2 separate repeaters on two separate routes
              that happened to share the same tax bill.

              More on crosstalk/leakage. Even though the horn reflectors had a very
              sharp beamwidth, you could still pick up a usable signal about 1/4
              mile off the centerline at 30 miles. IF an "A" transmitter and an "A"
              receiver were pointed in exactly the same direction, you could still
              get crosstalk from nearby reflectors. A building a mile away just
              slightly off the centerline could bounce the signal back. A passing
              truck on a highway in front of the beam could do the same, etc. To
              say nothing of ordinary leakage inside the station, regardless of how
              well shielded the receiver front ends were. The alternating
              frequency plan was one way to handle the crosstalk/leakage problem.
              There was also cross-polarization of the antennas for further
              isolation. But that's a different thread.
            • Terry Feathers
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 6, 2001
                I will agree that AT&T alternated frequency plans an almost all microwave
                sites. The exception was a route that had no growth potential or an
                engineer made a very big mistake. Not alternating the frequency plan caused
                a "BUCK" station and you were limited to only using 1/2 of the possible
                channels or less. It would be time for the engineer to find a new job
                within AT&T.

                Regards
                Terry Feathers
                ComSpec Corporation
                Phone: 336-370-1456
                Fax: 336-370-4116

              • albertjlafrance@cs.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 6, 2001
                  Yes, and one of them is a style I don't see often: the legs are vertical,
                  rather than inclined (possibly flared outward slightly at the bottom). I
                  believe this is an older design.

                  Another two-tower site in the DC area is the big radio junction called Omps -
                  it's named for a town in WV but actually located just south of the VA/WV line.

                  Albert

                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 6, 2001
                    > Catawba, OH (West of Columbus) - This is a strange beast as this is
                    > concrete silo with a guyed lattice tower standing next to it. An
                    ice
                    > bridge was placed from the TOP of the silo to the lattice tower to
                    > bring the waveguides from the lattice tower to the silo. (Obviously
                    > this was because the radio equipement was at the top of the silo...)
                    > The site was a repeater site (only two paths) and there are no
                    > antennas left on the silo... So I think they transferred the horns
                    > from the silo to the tower for some strange reason.

                    Paul

                    Thanks for reminding me that the silos had their radio rooms in the
                    top of the tower. That would be another reason for the solid
                    construction - to provide a benign environment for the equipment, and
                    to allow an enclosed weather-proof (and OSHA-proof) stairway for the
                    craftsmen to get to it.

                    As I mentioned in my earlier post, the silos were built for the delay
                    lens antenna. Think of a squat pyramid laid on its side, with the feed
                    point only a few feet from the equipment bays. (Actually, I think the
                    radio room was one level below the antenna deck because the antenna
                    deck was open to the weather.)

                    For more on delay lens antennas, see
                    http://www.tpub.com/neets/book11/46b.htm

                    The whole design of the silo never contemplated the horn
                    reflector, with its bottom-feed. So you would have to put up a new
                    steel tower if you needed to upgrade to a horn reflector (for
                    improved performance) or raise the antenna (for obstruction
                    avoidance). But there was not a "transfer" of the horn reflectors.

                    The waveguide bridge - it blows my mind. I suppose it would be cheaper
                    than building a new ground-level radio building to go with the new
                    tower, but that never stopped ATT. Is it still there?
                  • allanbourdius@hotmail.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 6, 2001
                      Not always! The Troy Hill silo (AT #88265) north of Pittsburgh has a
                      pair of KS horns on it. You can see them clearly in AT's photos of
                      the site.

                      Allan

                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 6, 2001
                        > The whole design of the silo never contemplated the horn
                        > reflector, with its bottom-feed. So you would have to put up a new
                        > steel tower if you needed to upgrade to a horn reflector (for
                        > improved performance) or raise the antenna (for obstruction
                        > avoidance). But there was not a "transfer" of the horn reflectors.

                        That's not necessarily so... I've seen many concrete silos that had
                        short lattice structures added to the top to acommodate horns.
                        Springfield, OH, off of I-70, immediately comes to mind as well as
                        numerous towers along the Ohio Turnpike and Indiana Toll Road. (As
                        someone else has already pointed out.) There must be some reason they
                        didn't take the same approach at Catawba. You are right though...
                        The Catawba Silo may have never seen horns since there is no remaining
                        lattice structure on the silo... The guyed tower may have been there
                        the day the horns arrived. Maybe it was an experiment to determine
                        which way of conversion was better...

                        > The waveguide bridge - it blows my mind. I suppose it would be
                        > cheaper than building a new ground-level radio building to go with
                        > the new tower, but that never stopped ATT. Is it still there?

                        I have been by there in over a year, but I believe it's still there...
                        I've been meaning to run over there to take some pictures; maybe I
                        can do that in a couple of weeks...

                        --zawada
                      • albertjlafrance@cs.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 6, 2001
                          Another example of a combined silo and lattice-tower station is Waggoners
                          Gap, PA:

                          http://radio.ee.psu.edu/td-th/Waggoners_Gap/Waggoner's_Gap.html

                          Albert

                          In a message dated 11/6/2001 8:44:41 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                          paul_zawada@... writes:

                          <SNIP>
                          > Catawba, OH (West of Columbus) - This is a strange beast as this is a
                          > concrete silo with a guyed lattice tower standing next to it. An ice
                          > bridge was placed from the TOP of the silo to the lattice tower to
                          > bring the waveguides from the lattice tower to the silo. (Obviously
                          > this was because the radio equipement was at the top of the silo...)
                          <SNIP>
                        • Chris Ness
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 9, 2001
                            On November 6, 2001 01:19 am, Pj wrote:
                            > How common (or uncommon) were the use of dual towers on a site? I
                            > personally only know of two towers, one in PA and one at Durham CT.
                            > Any other large use of dual towers?

                            Villa Rica, GA . Although one of them has been stripped of horns this Summer.
                            It appears to the major connecting point for the west side of GA as well as a
                            CO.
                            --
                            Chris Ness
                            mailto:mness215@... All jobs are equally easy to
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 20, 2001
                              Terry,

                              Thanks - I'd seen the term "buck station" somewhere, but didn't understand
                              what it meant until now.

                              Albert