Re: [coldwarcomms] Interesting item on eBay web site item#1017541390: COMMUNI...

  • long-lines@att.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2001
      On the reverse it says:

      "This switching center is a part of a nationwide
      underground network that provides our government a
      dependable communications system in case of a nuclear
      attack.

      The buildings are designed and constructed to withstand
      a blast two and one-half miles away, one thousand times
      more powerful than the "A" bomb.

      These remarkable installations [note plural] are the
      result of years of close cooperation among government
      agencies and private enterprise. The basic criteria
      were developed by the United States Army and the
      American Society of Civil Engineers. The general
      specifications were determined after research by the
      Bell Telephone Laboratories and the University of
      Illinois. Private architectural and contracting firms
      executed the final design and construction of the
      individual buildings [note plural again] under contract
      to the Bell System Operating Companies. The Western
      Electric Company, the manufacturing and supply unit of
      the Bell System [like no one heard of WE in 1960s],
      built and installed the complex electronic equipment.

      The Bell System has invested about $200 million in this
      nationwide underground network. Pacific Telephone's
      investment amounted to some $40 million including $20
      million for this site [note singular now] which it
      staffs and operates around the clock."

      c.