ATT Underground Communications Vaults

  • Bruce MacMillan
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2001
      Hi Everyone,

      I'm new to coldwarcomms. I'm trying to find information about an ATT
      Underground Communications Vault in Concordia, Kansas. It was built in the
      1960's as a nuclear war-proof communications center. Does anyone know if
      there were more of these type of underground communications vaults built in
      other states? I'm wondering if there was an extensive system of these
      throughout the U.S.. Are there any good websites with this type of
      information?

      Any information anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

      Thank you.

      Bruce MacMillan
      EMail: brucem1@...
    • Mike Jacobs
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2001
        Bruce,

        There are a number of such sites, and many of the list members
        here are actively involved in researching them. Some web sites
        which may be of interest:

        My site: http://radio.ee.psu.edu/longlines

        Mark Foster's Site: http://www1.shore.net/~mfoster/LCXR.htm

        Al LaFrance's site: http://coldwardc.homestead.com/files/

        Harold Peach's site: http://www.uky.edu/~hpeach/att/

        All of the above site authors are subscribers to this list and we all
        actively share and enjoy information on former cold war hardened
        communications sites.

        Mike

        Mike Jacobs, N3MJ
        Antenna and RF Engineering Laboratory
        Penn State University
        State College, PA
      • albertjlafrance@cs.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 8, 2001
          Hi Bruce,

          Yes, AT&T built a number of underground stations on its long-haul
          coaxial-cable routes during the Cold War. Most were constructed in the
          mid-late 1960s; the earliest I'm aware of is Monrovia, MD, which opened
          around 1961.

          The sites designated as "main stations" (manned installations with terminal,
          patching, and test facilities) seem to be of a standard design: two levels
          with high ceilings (about 16 ft.), and a mezzanine of lower height on each
          level. They are equipped with blast doors activated by overpressure sensors,
          blast valves to seal all ventilation openings, air-filtration systems,
          engine-alternators sets (typically liquid-fueled combustion turbines) for
          emergency power, and independent water-supply and waste-disposal systems.
          They were stocked with supplies to support Long Lines personnel and their
          families for several weeks.

          Often the cable routes and main stations were placed far enough from major
          cities to offer some protection from a nuclear strike on that city. This
          concept was called "avoidance routing". A microwave radio or coaxial-cable
          "spur line" linked the station to a conventional telephone office in the
          city. Some examples are: Monrovia, MD (west of Baltimore), Dranesville, VA
          (west of DC), Moseley, VA (west of Richmond), and Clarksville, NY (south of
          Albany).

          My Long Lines web page contains information about some of these facilities,
          and links to other pages with additional details:

          http://www.addr.com/~longlines

          In particular, you might be interested in the "Places and Routes" paqe:

          http://www19.addr.com/~longline/places-routes/index.html

          and the "Protection from Nuclear Blasts" heading on the "Documents" page:

          http://www19.addr.com/~longline/documents/index.html

          Albert LaFrance

          In a message dated 11/1/2001 11:18:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          brucem1@... writes:

          > I'm new to coldwarcomms. I'm trying to find information about an ATT
          > Underground Communications Vault in Concordia, Kansas. It was built in the
          > 1960's as a nuclear war-proof communications center. Does anyone know if
          > there were more of these type of underground communications vaults built in
          > other states? I'm wondering if there was an extensive system of these
          > throughout the U.S.. Are there any good websites with this type of
          > information?
        • William Barnes
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 8, 2001
            Wouldn't the Concordia, KS underground facility have been Fairview?

            One of the web sites mentions another underground facility having been built
            west of Kansas City but never used. Anyone know where that relic is/was?

            Bill
            Kansas City KS
          • albertjlafrance@cs.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 12, 2001
              Hi Bruce,

              From a 1979 route map, it appears that Concordia was a power-feed station on
              the transcontinental coaxial-cable section between Fairview to the east and
              Russell [Junction] to the west. That's based on Concordia's location about
              halfway between those stations, and the fact that it has no other cable
              connections and no microwave routes.

              Albert

              brucem1@... writes:

              > Hi Everyone,
              >
              > I'm new to coldwarcomms. I'm trying to find information about an ATT
              > Underground Communications Vault in Concordia, Kansas. It was built in the
              > 1960's as a nuclear war-proof communications center. Does anyone know if
              > there were more of these type of underground communications vaults built in
              > other states? I'm wondering if there was an extensive system of these
              > throughout the U.S.. Are there any good websites with this type of
              > information?

            • David Lesher
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 12, 2001
                Unnamed Administration sources reported that albertjlafrance@... said:

                > Hi Bruce,
                >
                > >From a 1979 route map, it appears that Concordia was a power-feed station on
                > the transcontinental coaxial-cable section between Fairview to the east and
                > Russell [Junction] to the west. That's based on Concordia's location about
                > halfway between those stations, and the fact that it has no other cable
                > connections and no microwave routes.

                Were the other stations also power-feed stations?

                I'd assume such from the generator plant, etc. but I
                don't think anyone has said so explicitly.

              • albertjlafrance@cs.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 20, 2001
                  As far as I know, yes - the main stations also fed power to their section of
                  the cable.

                  Albert

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 21, 2001
                    --- In coldwarcomms@y..., albertjlafrance@c... wrote:
                    > As far as I know, yes - the main stations also fed power to their
                    section of
                    > the cable.

                    All Main stations were power feed & most,but not all, were protection
                    switching section terminals; L3 fed AC power(up to 2000V) on a loop
                    about 1/2 way to the next main, thus leaving 1 repeater span in the
                    middle with no power on the coax; L4 fed DC power(up to about 1200-
                    1500V) and i think it met a gound or opposite polarity from the next
                    Main.

                    L1 & L3 used DC motor driven alternators(505 plants) & later solid
                    state inverters; L4 used DC-DC converters i believe.