Re: [coldwarcomms] Re:Re: AT&T Killingworth

  • Paxton Heckman
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 1, 2001
      Yeah, I have been up to the Durham site, and thats
      really impressive. I would love to see the inside of
      it. Is/was there any of the orignal equipment left in
      the building when ATC took it over?

      http://personals.yahoo.com
    • joecheck@snet.net
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 2, 2001
        The Durham site was kind of a hub site for parts and was manned during the
        day shift. Most of the spare parts and equipment has been removed from the
        site, but some of the big stuff is still around. The most impressive thing
        left is the two diesel generators that are still in the building. Each is
        a 550KW unit, driven by a diesel engine that was the same type used in
        train switching locomotives. That would make a combined output of over one
        megawatt of power, 3 phase! I understand that AT&T tried to sell them at
        one time, but it would be necessary to knock out the back wall to get them
        out. If you ever saw the construction of one of these hardened buildings,
        you would see why that would be quite a job.

        The building is massive, well over 10,000 square feet in size. It has
        several basement areas and a second floor. There is an electric toilet,
        water well in the basement, air filters to keep the employees alive during
        a nuclear attack, etc. A super bomb shelter if there ever was one. There
        were spools of flexible wave guide for emergency repairs and even a spare
        tower or two were stored somewhere on the East Coast.

        Joe